Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
damon

Default new gurps release: infinite worlds - britannica-6

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0605

Just in case you're not checking the e23 forum regularly ;)

e23 is turning out to be a great avenue for stuff like this... I hope they release lots of Infinite Worlds worldbooks like this, as they're useful in and out of IW, and nice to have for the GURPS GM who doesn't want to play Banestorm and doesn't want to do everything himself.

I don't have it yet myself, but I may well pick it up soon.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: new gurps release: infinite worlds - britannica-6

Looks fairly interesting, but I'm not sure whether or not the world needs another Quasi-Steam-punk setting.

Of course, with Phil Masters, it probably isn't just another quasi-steam-punk setting, which is good. I'll wait for someone else to review it, though.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
damon

hehe.. that's what i'm waiting for too actually, and sort of why i posted this thread. it's the first steam punk for 4e though which is important.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
SpaceGurper

umm, 4e totally needs steampunk. instead of 5+1 bring out the 5+2 But I don't think we need a ginat sourcebook for it. And e23 is totally the way to go with this.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish
Looks fairly interesting, but I'm not sure whether or not the world needs another Quasi-Steam-punk setting.
Regency dieselpunk, actually.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
Regency dieselpunk, actually.
Fair enough. I caught the regency bit, but I hadn't caught that we had gotten past steam in Britannica-6. I'll still hold out for a review, though.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Could you approsimate the movie The Golden Compass with this setting book?

Heck, in general been thinking that The Golden Compass with INFINITE WORLDS. The film itself implies that knowledge of alternate worlds is pretty common among the educated on that world.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar
Could you approsimate the movie The Golden Compass with this setting book?
I'm sure that you could emulate The Golden Compass with GURPS, and the technology on Britannica-6 has something of the same ambiance. However, the time is mostly run by a centripetal bunch of aristocracies and quasi-democratic oligarchs, rather than by an authoritarian theocratic oligarchy.

Quote:
Heck, in general been thinking that The Golden Compass with INFINITE WORLDS. The film itself implies that knowledge of alternate worlds is pretty common among the educated on that world.
As a theory, among the elites. Actual access is rather harder. Lord Asriel is prepared to pay the price that local technology demands, of course... (Though that scene from the book has been held over until the next movie.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
ravenfish

Quote:
The film itself implies that knowledge of alternate worlds is pretty common among the educated on that world.
As Phil said, it is mathematically proven (although still quite literally heresy), but Asriel is the first to 'see' them, let alone reach them.

And, as much as I like Phil's work, I think this probably wouldn't be what you'd want to run a His Dark Materials campaign, even one set in the world of the first book. The book's technology is mostly historical, although with different focus (zeppelins/autogyros rather than airplanes, crossbows still in use, and a heavy dose of religion in fundamental physics), and the movie's is just plain weird- modern tech with strange-looking engines and no computers. For either (or anything else), I'd recommend High Tech, as opposed to a worldbook for a 'diesel-tech' Regency. If you have both High-Tech and disposable income, I suppose it can't hurt, though.

Last edited by ravenfish; 03-09-2008 at 07:06 PM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Ragabash Moon

So, this is the first world book they've done like this right? While Britannica-6 doesn't interest me (though I might check it out anyway, as I do like steampunk), there are worlds that do, so if this is just the first, then maybe we all should make up a list of our top 5 or 10 worlds out of the Infinite Worlds write-ups, then those that get the most "votes" maybe they can use that to decide which to do next?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds