Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
EdtheDM

Default GURPS Infinite Worlds: Magic and Homeline

How does magic work if your mage returns to Homeline? I understand Homeline is a no-mana world in the campaign setting so as I interpret it, that means that the mage is left out to dry with regards to casting spells while at Headquarters.

Is that correct? I was also wondering if there is an advantage that allows a character to bring his own reality with him, i.e., a mage with points in that can still cast spells on a no-mana world.

The player in question is using Unlimited Mana rules and I change the Threshhold from world to world as they move around. The problem occurred when the ISWAT team returned to Homeline and was subsequently attacked by a team of assassins sent out by an Enemy.

The mage was left at quite the disadvantage and I just set the Threshhold for Earth to a very low level, forcing him to burn Fatigue and then health to defend himself in short order to prevent triggering a Cataclysm.

Can I please get pointed in the right direction or get some feedback on the approach I took with it?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
EdtheDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: GURPS Infinite Worlds: Magic and Homeline

The Mana Enhancer advantage lets you bump up the local mana level for you and perhaps a small area.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
EdtheDM

Thank you, sir! Your GURPS-fu is powerful, your chi is strong!
EdtheDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdtheDM
How does magic work if your mage returns to Homeline? I understand Homeline is a no-mana world in the campaign setting so as I interpret it, that means that the mage is left out to dry with regards to casting spells while at Headquarters.

Is that correct? I was also wondering if there is an advantage that allows a character to bring his own reality with him, i.e., a mage with points in that can still cast spells on a no-mana world.

The player in question is using Unlimited Mana rules and I change the Threshhold from world to world as they move around. The problem occurred when the ISWAT team returned to Homeline and was subsequently attacked by a team of assassins sent out by an Enemy.

The mage was left at quite the disadvantage and I just set the Threshhold for Earth to a very low level, forcing him to burn Fatigue and then health to defend himself in short order to prevent triggering a Cataclysm.

Can I please get pointed in the right direction or get some feedback on the approach I took with it?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

IW .22 says all field work along magical lines HAS to be done in the field. This sucks for your mage. Arguably not having those abilities in his home dimension (if most of the campaign is on Homeline itself) constitutes a disadvantage he could use to replace some of his others.

The fact is an ISWAT PC should have the points to handle himself in bad situations, even without his spells. Having access to Reich 5 machine pistols and other goodies is supposed to be a perk for ISWAT agents.

However, as noted above, mana enhancer is a good thing for the PC to have under the circumstances.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
quarkstomper

When I ran an IW campaign a couple years ago, my daughter played a mage with the Mana Enhancer advantage. It worked pretty well, and I used it as a nice plot device in one session where her advantage inadvertantly "jump started" the mana level on a timeline were magic had gone dormant. The resulting increase in mana bumped the timeline to a different location in the quantum. Oops!

Later on in the same campaign the party recruited an NPC sorceror from a timeline in which the American Revolution was being fought with magic. (Franklin and Jefferson were mages, didn't you know that?) I decided that the sorceror could do magic on Homeline, but only by performing a ritual in which he uses some of his own blood; effectively burning HP instead of FT. He did this in secret, (mostly because the magic he was performing was in the pursuit of his own agenda).
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds