Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Tom Mazanec

Default Re: Why hasn't Caliph discovered the Secret?

Another world to worry about is Shikaku-mon. Their technology is at least as advanced as Homeline's and they are chronosynched to Homeline and Centrum. Someone (Heinlein I think) once said that when it is time for railroads you get railroads. It is about time for chronotravel on Shikaku-mon. Of course, there is Reich-5 (I hinted that they are already infiltrating Aesop in my one published article...or maybe it is the next destination of the chronobahn).
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

And of course, don't forget Gernsback. They're not chronosynched, but the local laws of physics are strange enough that they could end up being a wild card entry. Maybe projectors don't work there ... but who's to say they might not come up with something even stranger? It's starkly possible. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
Canon isn't quite clear on whether you could take a conveyor througha projector to a Q^ would and then jump around Q^ as you pleased. Just to clear up this situation, I would rule no as GM.
It seems pretty clear to me. Everywhere it says travel within a quantum requires only a conveyor, and across quanta requires an improved conveyor and a projector.

It's always seemed clear to me that the preferred method of working two quanta away from home would be to set up a permanent base camp, probably on some uninhabited world, and use cheaper sub-quantum conveyors to shift in-quantum. This is cheaper, and frees up a lot of projector capacity.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
And of course, don't forget Gernsback. They're not chronosynched, but the local laws of physics are strange enough that they could end up being a wild card entry. Maybe projectors don't work there ... but who's to say they might not come up with something even stranger? It's starkly possible. :)
I think Gernsbeck's tech is so weird that anything they came up with (and that could well include pretty flash stuff, like open-circuit snatchers) would only work on Gernsbeck itself, so unless they came up with a 'snatcher' type device all they'd be doing is making their research objects/subjects disappear into thin air, never to return.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #15
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
I think Gernsbeck's tech is so weird that anything they came up with (and that could well include pretty flash stuff, like open-circuit snatchers) would only work on Gernsbeck itself, so unless they came up with a 'snatcher' type device all they'd be doing is making their research objects/subjects disappear into thin air, never to return.
Good point -- at least until they start realizing they're dealing with universes with alternate physical laws. At that point, would Gernsbackian superscience allow the invention of a trans-quantum converter, the parachronic equivalent of a power adapter for your electric razor? Instead of gearing from European to American current and vice versa, imagine being able to tune from Tesla's physics to ours and back again....

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #16
Rupert

But, again, the blasted thing will probably only work in Gernsbeck, to their considerable annoyance. However, once they get hold of a conveyor from someone else, they'd certainly be able to do a lot of interesting things with it, and they'd be the one who find a way of snatching things and people, which removes the need to have the machinery off Gernsbeck, and thus avoids the need to deal with 'normal' physical laws.

Tags
infinite worlds