Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Dr. Whom

Location: In a phone booth, but a little classier than Dr. Who's.
Default New worlds for Infinite Worlds

Figured I'd start this thread for those who use the Infinite Worlds book.
here we can come of with some of the worlds that we created, Quantum is not important.

My first world is one where all the socks that go missing in the wash end up, from all the different worlds. Some how it connects to all quantum via the washer and dryer (some speculate that the static build up of the clothes actually turns the dryer into an open-circuit projector.) This world is covered in all sorts of socks (no two match anywhere on the planet), there for the world is classified as SOCK-1. Being an extremely boring world, no one really visits, except for the criminal element, who use it as a prison of sorts for undesirables. Those who land here will have to fend for themselves from those "Prisoners" who would like to get into the conveyor to escape.
Dr. Whom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
ronom

Default Re: New worlds for Infinite Worlds

Are you serious or have you been drinking? The world you describe must be a nexus tunnel to warehouse 23's dumpster! I dont have my notes but I'll try to come up with something later!(you have an interesting hook).
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Whom
no one really visits,
What? No big eccentric "find your missing sock tours" for the rich people with too much time and money on their hands? You can go sock-fishing and talk about "this red and green par of socks you gave to your spouse and then not just one, but both socks disappeared over night, and you hope you will find them here" (not likely).

Also there could be sock-harvesters dragging in socks using salver-labour to sort them by size and then sell them on some alternate world as the latest fashion of "unmatched socks".
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Shrale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Whom
Figured I'd start this thread for those who use the Infinite Worlds book.
here we can come of with some of the worlds that we created, Quantum is not important.

My first world is one where all the socks that go missing in the wash end up, from all the different worlds. Some how it connects to all quantum via the washer and dryer (some speculate that the static build up of the clothes actually turns the dryer into an open-circuit projector.) This world is covered in all sorts of socks (no two match anywhere on the planet), there for the world is classified as SOCK-1. Being an extremely boring world, no one really visits, except for the criminal element, who use it as a prison of sorts for undesirables. Those who land here will have to fend for themselves from those "Prisoners" who would like to get into the conveyor to escape.
Ah, yes, the para-chronic Sock-o-porter. What we're experiencing now is the first stages of the nefarious device being tested by off-worlders :)

So, para-chronics converyors in our future will look like washers ? ;)

Next: give names for para-chronic-soaps

Stain-B-Gone...and that's not all!
Quantum-Tide, it goes out and doesn't come back!
Chere-and-There...we're every-where!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Dr. Whom

Location: In a phone booth, but a little classier than Dr. Who's.

Quote:
Are you serious or have you been drinking?
A wee bit of both....
Dr. Whom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

A world where for some as yet unknown reason grass will not evolve or grow.
This limits technology to small villages and diversified crops. Except the andean potato allows an ever increasing Incan nation to crawl across South America. Without european wheat etc. to push advanced whities across the atlantic, no one was there to smash the burgeoning american civilization in the 1500s.
Name: Spud 1

Edit: No, I don't drink either.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

A world where natural corrosion of metals occur at millions of times their normal rate. Obviously this retards technology to stone and really advanced ceramics. Better discover it with impecably shielded electronics or else you'll be sitting in a real rust heap.
Name: the perfect one "Rust" has already been used for China centered worlds. So it became officially known as "Oxide 1" a name not very popular with the on site researchers. Some call it Rust... the real one.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
A world where for some as yet unknown reason grass will not evolve or grow.
This limits technology to small villages and diversified crops. Except the andean potato allows an ever increasing Incan nation to crawl across South America. Without european wheat etc. to push advanced whities across the atlantic, no one was there to smash the burgeoning american civilization in the 1500s.
Name: Spud 1

Edit: No, I don't drink either.
And everyone drinks VODKA! ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
And everyone drinks VODKA! ;)
Ouch! I didn't think of that. I guess they'ld have to. Then again you can't keep a good lush down, so this parallel might have some really strange intoxicants. Lots of wine coolers in the mountains?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
combatmedic
Banned

Lincoln 2

Point of divergence is Booth's failure to assassinate President Lincoln. Lincoln goes on to enact his own plan for Reconstruction. The slaves are freed by the 13th Ammendment, just as on Homeline. The 14th Ammendment is not passed. The estates of many prominent planters are broken up and parceled out to small farmers. A policy of emigration of blacks to Liberia is set up under Federal authority. The Freedman's Bureau spends the next ten years busily shipping black colonists to Africa. This policy creates a labor shortage in the South that is quickly filled by masses of poor rural immigrants from Europe, who assimilate into the agrarian society of the Southern states.

Populist president William Jennings Bryan kept the United States out of the Great War. The neutral Americans and Swiss sponsored the peace talks that lead to the Treaty of Berne that ended the war in 1919.

Current year is 1925. TL is 6.

Liberia is larger and more advanced that it's Homeline counterpart. Presidents Douglass, Washington, Garvey, and DuBois provided the leadership that turned a nation of former slaves into the best educated nation in Africa. The Monrovian Academy of Agronomy is the world's premier agricultural research center[ founded by Dr George Washington Carver]. Liberia is formally allied with the United States.

The United States resembles it's Homeline counterpart of the same era, but popular culture is different. Blacks are not very numerous. There is a conspicous absence of jazz. Segregation such as it existed on Homeline is largely absent. Class conciousness is greater, perhaps because race is less of an issue. The Republicans compete for votes with the Populists. The Democrats are now only a minor party, having been discredited and weakened by the events of the War of the Rebellion.

Last edited by combatmedic; 09-11-2007 at 07:05 AM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds