Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 07-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #41
Progmode

Default Re: Munchkin Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Quite a single-sided review. I feel that most game reviews need to be written by two people, one who enjoyed the game, one who didn't.

At the same time, I think that a review written by someone who's already a Munchkin detractor is not a good thing.
I've already commented on the review at the Geek, but I'll repeat here.

I think he was a bit unfair regarding the length of the game. He acknowledged that it took longer because the demo person took time to explain things, but then used that length as a negative point. He also seemed to doubt that the game would go faster with more experience when common sense says that the first time playing a new game will certainly take longer than later games when you have a good grasp of the rules.

He also seemed to have an expectation that playing Munchkin the card game would inherently lead to better performance in Munchkin Quest. While I suppose it might to a certain degree, I've always assumed Munchkin Quest would be different enough that it wouldn't be a great deal of help.

I did find the review informative though. For instance, combat involves a random d6 roll to be added to your effective level and to the monster's as well.

On the bright side, the other 3 players liked it according to him. So he's in the minority in that group.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #42
MunchkinMan

I saw your comment. I also think that the majority of comments were by people who don't like Munchkin and therefore did nothing but squee about someone "telling it like it is."

But, yes, people who know how to play, according to the guys who were at Origins, usually get the game moving at 30 minutes per. I've played 6-player games of Munchkin in under an hour when there's a good flow, 90 minutes if they get good cards and want to mess with each other incessantly. If I have to teach, it can take up to 2-3 hours depending on number of players. Knowing this, I can tell you that Quest isn't going to be as interminable as the guy was implying. Oh, one other comment I found interesting was someone saying that 3 hours of play eating into their convention time? Hello? I'm sorry, but I was talking to people at Origins who got themselves involved in 8-12 hour games! So, 3.5 hours the first time learning a detailed game is so bad?

The nice thing about Quest: It's not broken when you try to play 2-player games.

Oh, I love Munchkin, and I don't find Will Ferrel funny 9 times out of 10.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #43
Progmode

Quote:
I saw your comment. I also think that the majority of comments were by people who don't like Munchkin and therefore did nothing but squee about someone "telling it like it is."
Oy, tell me about it. I like BGG. It's a great community, and a great resource, but Munchkin sure is a polarizing topic.

I find it odd that so many people froth at the mouth over how bad they think Munchkin is when three flavors (Cthulhu, Bites!, and Star) are in the top 1000 games, and most are in the top 1500. The only exception is original Munchkin which is ranked 1576. That's out of the 4612 ranked games. That certainly doesn't mean everyone should like it, but in the grand scheme of things, Munchkin must be doing something right.

Oh well, not everybody has to like Munchkin, but it gets more grief than it deserves I think.

Quote:
Oh, I love Munchkin, and I don't find Will Ferrel funny 9 times out of 10.
Again, I agree. He's definitely got his moments, but they are few and far between.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #44
worms919

"Milk was a bad choice"
worms919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #45
RL

To get the gist of the review, I didn't even need to read past the basic game info at the top of the article:
Quote:
Playtime approximately infinite minutes (at least it seemed that way)
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #46
Kwakkie

Well, I posted the link mostly because it revealed some mechanics. I thought this was very interesting:

Quote:
We lost, and this pair of monsters roamed around the dungeon almost the whole game before someone killed them.
So monsters stay in the dungeon if you can't kill them. Seems to me that this would help out. More players might be interested in helping in combat and maybe people won't throw infinite enhancers on a monster cause they might have to face it later on.

Reading the review made me almost certain that I'll like the game. I simply ignored his negative comments cause most of it is directed at Munchkin in general. So I guess they don't count if you like the card game.
Kwakkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #47
duskblade

i know what im getting for my birthday
duskblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #48
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakkie
So monsters stay in the dungeon if you can't kill them. Seems to me that this would help out. More players might be interested in helping in combat and maybe people won't throw infinite enhancers on a monster cause they might have to face it later on.
It definitely will cause you to reconsider your strategy. In fact, the rules go into describing what should be expected. Lower level characters should probably group together, or stay close, so as not to fill the board with massive quantities of Monsters. Also, if you don't stay close, you can't as effectively mess with the combat in the first place.

I'll also reveal that Class abilities (I never got a good look at a Race card when I played) need a die roll against your level. I.e., success is not guaranteed and some randomness will occur there, as well.

So, I'll repeat: Knowledge of Munchkin will help in getting started, but it will not guarantee complete knowledge of, nor instant success in, this game. There will probably be some miscues because of changes in other mechanics (including some cards) as well. So, when you get the game, pay attention to everything, don't make any assumptions at all, and you shouldn't run too far afoul of the differences.
MiB #1029
Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #49
Pequod_II

I didn't find his review to be that negative. Some people like Munchkin, some people don't. One of the first things he said was that 3/4ths of the people playing had a great time. He also leaves a disclaimer for his dislike of the game stating "...this is only my view from a single play of the game."

I've had a chance to play-test the game, and while I'm not a huge Munchkin fan, I still experienced some very memorable, hysterical moments. (Also some memorable moments of my hopes for winning being crushed, then stamped on, then ground to a fine powder, then force-fed back to me. And then getting crushed some more. And then getting very close to winning, anyway!)

I think the board-game offers way more replay-ability than than the card game/s does/do.

One thing to keep in mind is that for gamers that are not Munchkin-fanatics (or at least fans), the reviewer's gripes should be taken seriously. It is not a short game. It can be if everyone plays nice, or if you have...certain things happen. But if you play as a proper Munchkin should, it's going to take some time.

A thing to remember: playing with 2-3 players, the game works just as well, and can cut down on the time.

Another thing to remember: the components are really impressive. Pretty; amusing; and most importantly. sturdy.

And lastly: while I'm not a fan of the card-games, I think the board-game is strong enough to draw you in, even when you've seen the cards frequently enough that the humor is fading. (Though I have to say, there are enough cards included with the game that you'll always have a unique experience. And I'll always find something amusing about fighting a...well, I don't want to spoil anything for you guys.) It won't be a game that everyone will enjoy, but if you're already a Munchkin, I think it will be right up your alley.

Pequod
Pequod_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #50
MunchkinMan

Well, rather than saying, "I don't appreciate the humor of Munchkin," he basically attacked the intelligence and maturity of people who do. He also made a blanket statement that SJG doesn't create any worthwhile products.

Yes, he made it clear: Munchkin isn't his cup of tea, nor other SJG products, but he chose to do that in ways that were blatantly offensive to fans of both. I can understand not liking Munchkin, I can understand not liking other SJG games, that's fine. I don't like a lot of other games (I find myself bored by many a game from Mayfair), but you don't see me getting myself into positions where I can publicly decry the games I don't like as games only stupid people like.

The point is, a good review, positive or negative, shouldn't read like this: "Well, this game sucked because I just don't like anything those guys do, and only a moron would disagree with me."
MiB #1029