Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #31
Dalin

Default Re: GURPS Disasters: Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear, if you have more than 2 levels of night Vision, why are the benefits capped at 2 levels during a hurricane?
My assumption was that this would be due to flying debris and water obscuring things.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #32
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
My assumption was that this would be due to flying debris and water obscuring things.
Shouldn't that apply all the time? Not just in the dark? Like a fixed penalty to vision rolls.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #33
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Per minute. And... it may very well be excessive. I haven't checked to see how well a modern structure could handle this.
In terms of how that interacts with DR, there's a massive difference between taking 50 points of damage every 60 turns and say 1 point of Damage every turn; 1 point of DR will stop the latter, and do virtually nothing to the former.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #34
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
In terms of how that interacts with DR, there's a massive difference between taking 50 points of damage every 60 turns and say 1 point of Damage every turn; 1 point of DR will stop the latter, and do virtually nothing to the former.
Which is an interesting thought when it comes to continuing damage. Too low and you have no effect but as many have seen the stress on a building not built for it can be devastating.
How many HP does a house have anyway? Much less a large building.
Break a few windows and you have rain pouring inside, shingles ripped off roofs pretty easily at less than hurricane level winds, etc.
The end of the preview texts starts to talk about buildings built to standards so when we have the full text maybe that will explain certain things.
I'll know after Christmas.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #35
namada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
...your trees don't blow over nearly so often...
Trees don't blow over, except, as frequently happens in tropical situations, the ground gets so saturated with water that every nook & cranny around the root structures are filled to the point where there's a reduction in friction that keeps the tree... well, rooted. Only then does that 75+mph wind or occasional higher gust cause the toppling of trees. Otherwise, they'll break, rather than topple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Per minute. And... it may very well be excessive. I haven't checked to see how well a modern structure could handle this.
Ah - thanks for the correction - I was flipping back and forth between this thread & the preview pdf, not sure what happened there. Still, intuitively I feel it's excessive. That level of damage seems like it would have leveled every house built in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, after decades of successive storms, yet my hometown is filled with them. Without the full pdf in hand, I can't check either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Which is an interesting thought when it comes to continuing damage. Too low and you have no effect but as many have seen the stress on a building not built for it can be devastating.
How many HP does a house have anyway? Much less a large building.
Break a few windows and you have rain pouring inside, shingles ripped off roofs pretty easily at less than hurricane level winds, etc.
The end of the preview texts starts to talk about buildings built to standards so when we have the full text maybe that will explain certain things.
I'll know after Christmas.
Break a few windows on a good, solid structure and you have to start worrying about pressure dynamics, forget about the rain. But yeah, until I have the full text in hand, I know I'm just speculating. For all I know, these effects aren't continuous, and are triggered by some other random rolls - which would actually represent the chaotic nature of hurricanes quite well. Idk, and won't be able to say anything definitive for a while on this one.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #36
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
I'd rather buy the product & suggest changes/fixes than just ignore it altogether. Perhaps consider that instead?
I don't do this because they measure a product's success based on sales, so by purchasing it, I would be suggesting that more products of this quality, nature, or by this author should be made. Also, if I buy a blender, I expect it to work without repairs; what does it say if I expect less of Steve Jackson Games?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #37
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
=====SPOILER ALERT======

Highlight here -> It does not. <- for spoiler.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:07 PM   #38
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Ah - thanks for the correction - I was flipping back and forth between this thread & the preview pdf, not sure what happened there. Still, intuitively I feel it's excessive. That level of damage seems like it would have leveled every house built in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, after decades of successive storms, yet my hometown is filled with them. Without the full pdf in hand, I can't check either.
How do decades of successive storms factor in? Non-abandoned buildings damaged by a hurricane would typically see repairs prior to the next hurricane season, wouldn't they?
Old 12-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #39
Celjabba

Quote:
Trees don't blow over, except, as frequently happens in tropical situations, the ground gets so saturated with water that every nook & cranny around the root structures are filled to the point where there's a reduction in friction that keeps the tree... well, rooted. Only then does that 75+mph wind or occasional higher gust cause the toppling of trees. Otherwise, they'll break, rather than topple.
Depend where you are, I guess. Never been in an hurricane or tropical area, so I cannot say.
But in non-tropical/hurricane area, very strong wind can and will uproot and topple trees without need for saturating the ground with water first.
It usually mean a weak root system, for various reason : sickness or parasite, soil degradation, growth in a previously sheltered place, ...

There are forest worth of those in Western Europe, more so in recent years.
Strongly rooted tree will break before being uprooted, especially if they are old or sick.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #40
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How do decades of successive storms factor in? Non-abandoned buildings damaged by a hurricane would typically see repairs prior to the next hurricane season, wouldn't they?
Decades probably dont factor in.But you can get multiple severe storms in a season and certainly areas may not be fully repaired. New Orleans still has some damaged buildings from Katrina and that was 2005,
I'd say just use normal damage, if repairs weren't made before the new storm hits than its already lower on HP and possibly HT score if structural damage was severe enough.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane