Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
blueFire

Default Future support for TFT

What level of support does SJG plan on providing for TFT in the future as far as new products being produced and keeping the core rule books in print? I do not want to see it to go down the same road as Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying (http://www.sjgames.com/dungeonfantasy/) with no new rule books printed for it after the initial print run.

I am also wanting to see regular new material released for it (especially things in addition to rules expansions such as campaign worlds, regular adventures, etc...).

Jason
blueFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Future support for TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueFire View Post
What level of support does SJG plan on providing for TFT in the future as far as new products being produced and keeping the core rule books in print?
It will all depend on how much demand there is for the game. At the moment, we're focused on completing the game on the planned schedule.

That said, we have been making notes for a second Kickstarter project in early 2019, after the game ships, so that if the demand remains, we can continue to support the game.

The Kickstarter page -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ol-roleplaying -- discusses future support of the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Mallen the dark

Sorry to hear this. TFT was always my favorite game. Played it until GURPS came out. I have been hoping that it was back to stay. I was planning on getting hardbacks to replace my orginal sets. Maybe I should just save my money if SJG is not serious about bringing it back. After all, I have all the origial Metagaming copies.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
gpoehlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
Sorry to hear this. TFT was always my favorite game. Played it until GURPS came out. I have been hoping that it was back to stay. I was planning on getting hardbacks to replace my orginal sets. Maybe I should just save my money if SJG is not serious about bringing it back. After all, I have all the origial Metagaming copies.
I'm not really getting how you come to the conclusion that SJG isn't serious about bringing back TFT. They have already committed, through the Kickstarter, to bring out Melee, Wizard, ITL, Death Test I & II, Tolenkar's Lair and a boatload of extras. They are already planning a second Kickstarter for TFT next spring. If other Kickstarter titles are any indication, TFT is not a "one and done" event, but the game will be available through Warehouse 23 for as long as it sells. As Phil said, as long as the demand remains they will continue supporting the game - the corollary of which is why would they continue to support a game that isn't selling? (Not that I think that is remotely likely given the number of stretch goals that have been set up and knocked down by the patrons). I see nothing BUT serious support for the game!
gpoehlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #5
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
What is your definition of "back to stay"? You may be setting a high bar as I've bought many products (such as cars, electronics, household items) which several years later, are no longer manufactured and sold. Pretty sure that SJG would love to keep on selling TFT and bringing out new products for the line until it is no longer profitable.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Mallen the dark

I was responding to philreed.

I have loved TFT since it was first released. I found D&D wanting when I later learned it. GURPS is great also, but hard to get players for.

I was hoping for a return to a great game. Philreed's answer just read as maybe to me. Maybe we will make more...

Yes, I know that all products have a lifecycle and there will be a time when it will not be profitable to pursuit making more, but at the begining of the revival is not the time to throw water on the idea that TFT will live forever (or at least longer than me).

I hope this answers both of your questions.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I was hoping for a return to a great game. Philreed's answer just read as maybe to me. Maybe we will make more...
As stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
That said, we have been making notes for a second Kickstarter project in early 2019, after the game ships, so that if the demand remains, we can continue to support the game.
We will know after we deliver the Legacy Edition project to supporters and after a second Kickstarter project closes, how much demand remains for the game.

Ongoing support will depend entirely on ongoing demand. If the demand for expansions is not there, we will be forced to end support.

If you check the Kickstarter page -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ol-roleplaying -- you will find information on future support, including that we have hired a line editor so that we can prepare to create more supplements, adventures, and accessories.

Do we _want_ to continue supporting the game? Absolutely!
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
guymc

Quote:
I’m not sure why SJGames would need me if they had no plans to carry on beyond the Kickstarter. I think everyone can safely stop saying “TFT was...” and instead say “TFT *is*...”
Old 08-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Yes, I know that all products have a lifecycle and there will be a time when it will not be profitable to pursuit making more, but at the begining of the revival is not the time to throw water on the idea that TFT will live forever (or at least longer than me).
A second kickstarter and already hired a line editor sounds like a solid commitment. SJG has always leaned conservative towards its business and tried to avoid over-promising. I appreciate that honesty rather than an empty (but too common) promise of things there not sure of.
Too many companies will tell you they have plans for the next ten years only to abandon them as soon as sales slump.
With this edition we have all we need for a modern take, with the new kickstarter plus the limited licence option, plus a line editor we have plenty of evidence of a serious commitment and good material.
But if people want to wait a year before signing on, well most product lines cant survive that. Retail stores are just not what they used to be, nor is the distribution and inventory systems.

EDIT
Writing up a blog entry and another example of SJG commitment to TFT came to mind. Steve went through a lot of hassle, time and money getting those rights back. He would not have done that if he did not really want it to succeed. But hes smart enough to not blindly commit the entire company on a roll of the dice. There is a reason he has been in business so long when so many others in the industry failed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 08-19-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
A second kickstarter and already hired a line editor sounds like a solid commitment...
With this edition we have all we need for a modern take, with the new kickstarter plus the limited licence option, plus a line editor we have plenty of evidence of a serious commitment and good material.
But if people want to wait a year before signing on, well most product lines cant survive that. Retail stores are just not what they used to be, nor is the distribution and inventory systems.
I think that the concern is that whether Kickstarter will be the primary support outlet for TFT, given the time delay between funding and delivery. I hope that support materializes outside of Kickstarters. I'd be shocked if Kickstarters were the primary support mechanism. I think that Steve is a capable businessman and am confident he'll do it right.

So perhaps Mallen the Dark read the response overly pessimistically.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 08-20-2018 at 01:49 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote