Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #91
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: The Dungeon Fantasy box set is great! But now I hunger for more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Meaning "you could do a core set and still have 2,000 pages of expansion yet to be written,"
Thank you Douglas, yes, that was exactly what I was trying to convey.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #92
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Worse than that, Paramount "heard" about B5 because Straczynski (the show's creator) shopped the concept around to many studios, including Paramount.
Paramount actually had his B5 material for six months or however long it was, so they could go over it and make a decision on if they wanted to buy it. They went with DS9 instead

Quote:
And then had to make changes so people wouldn't accuse him of stealing from DS9. Mimbari were originally to be an androgynous shape-shifting race; sound familiar?
I realize that the material I've seen could be read that way, but I don't.

The person who attacked Kosh was supposed to be a shapeshifter, but because of DS9 they changed that to a Minbari with a changeling net. I've never heard that Minbari were supposed to be shapeshifters.

Delenn was supposed to be male first and then transform into a female, then they changed her type of transformation because the voice over didn't work as well as JMS wanted it too. I've never heard that transformation was supposed to be a general Minbari thing rather than a special Delenn thing.

As for a new the boxed set. I love space opera and would love to see a box for it. However, there is no current line for it. There is a Monster Hunters line that could be adapted. Considering how long it would take to adapt a current line for a box set and comparing that to how long it would take to develop something new for a box set. Would it take so much more time, that developing something new would take too long?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #93
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Thank you Douglas, yes, that was exactly what I was trying to convey.
Understand now, thanks for the clarification Doug.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:11 AM   #94
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
Understand now, thanks for the clarification Doug.
For what it's worth, I'm in agreement with you that future notional boxed sets must be tightly written and well focused. I think the wish by the SJG staff was that the next one might be even tighter than the DFRPG.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #95
JMason

This actually brings up a point, a big part of why I backed the DFRPG at the "I want it all" level was because it was a great value for me. I had a few of the DF pdfs (1-4, adventure 1, monsters 1-2, a few others), but I was still getting SO MUCH STUFF.

If a Space Opera game comes out, they couldn't have that same level of reward. Maybe pdf of the "big books" like Space and Ultra-Tech, with the Spaceship series....

Just a thought. I still would totally back a space boxed set (but then I'd back an After the End, Monster Hunters, or just about any other boxed set).
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #96
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, I'm in agreement with you that future notional boxed sets must be tightly written and well focused. I think the wish by the SJG staff was that the next one might be even tighter than the DFRPG.
Agreed.

I would add is to keep an eye on the quantity of traits associated with each template. Looking at Argua, he has 55 traits (attributes, advantages, skills, etc). Granted looking at characters I had* for previous Campaigns it is not that much more. But still every bit helps as it is something the players noticed within the first few minutes of DF character creation.

*That was Tim's character from a campaign.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #97
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
This actually brings up a point, a big part of why I backed the DFRPG at the "I want it all" level was because it was a great value for me. I had a few of the DF pdfs (1-4, adventure 1, monsters 1-2, a few others), but I was still getting SO MUCH STUFF.

If a Space Opera game comes out, they couldn't have that same level of reward. Maybe pdf of the "big books" like Space and Ultra-Tech, with the Spaceship series....

Just a thought. I still would totally back a space boxed set (but then I'd back an After the End, Monster Hunters, or just about any other boxed set).
That is an actual concern for me.
The goal is to get new people involved and if it is a big sales bundle how well will that work? The sales bundle helped sway people who already had some of the material but they were not the primary target.
A completely new box would possibly not have much enticement from existing material but on the other hand its all new so less need to bribe current GURPS fans to buy stuff they already have to support it.
On the other hand if you pull from Third Edition PDFs you can get a lot that probably does not sell well anymore.
Space could add in the Space Atlas books, Aliens, and the Space Bestiary.
Monster Hunters could add Voodoo, Conspiracy X and some other items, maybe Cabal.
In any case I think a Pyramid subscription is a good add on as they will see a lot of variety in material that can help them become interested in the larger GURPS experience.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #98
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
That is an actual concern for me.
The goal is to get new people involved and if it is a big sales bundle how well will that work? The sales bundle helped sway people who already had some of the material but they were not the primary target.
A completely new box would possibly not have much enticement from existing material but on the other hand its all new so less need to bribe current GURPS fans to buy stuff they already have to support it.
How many people new to GURPS do you think backed Dungeon Fantasy at the $250 I Want It All level? I'd wager it was not very many new customers, because that's a lot of money to lay out for a game you haven't heard of before. The $250 was to get existing GURPS buyers in on the Dungeon Fantasy train. It was an impressive 320 out of 1587 backers, so not something to ignore either.

As for what could be included:
Space, Ultra-Tech, Bio-Tech, Aliens: Sparials, Tales of the Solar Patrol
Psis, Psionic Powers, Psionic Campaigns, Psi-Tech, Pyramid 3/23, 3/69
Spaceships 1-7
Pyramid 3/09, 3/18, 3/25, 3/30, 3/34, 3/35, 3/38, 3/40, 3/49, 3/55, 3/64, 3/71, 3/75, 3/79, 3/94, 3/100, 3/102. I've probably missed a few here, since this is my "Spaceships" list of Pyramids and I don't have a specific "Space/Sci-Fi" collection.

Quote:
On the other hand if you pull from Third Edition PDFs you can get a lot that probably does not sell well anymore.
Space could add in the Space Atlas books, Aliens, and the Space Bestiary.
Plus Mars, Mars: Grendel, Mars: Rescue Mission, Space Adventures, Stardemon, Unnight, Terradyne. If they want to double up there's always Space, Bio-Tech, Ultra-Tech, Ultra-Tech 2.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-29-2017 at 05:05 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #99
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Because Space Opera is one of the great pillars of American Literature and Cinema and it's always been a core of Roleplaying Games - Traveller, Star Trek, and Star Wars have always been popular RPG games. ...
I don't know whether I'd call Traveller or Star Trek "space opera".

However, that's a discussion that's already taking place in the Space Opera Box set Ideas thread. (Note especially post #42.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #100
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
The sales bundle helped sway people who already had some of the material but they were not the primary target.
We learned a lot from the Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter _and_ the release of Discworld and Mars Attacks at retail. If there are any future GURPS box sets, everything we have learned will be applied to the new project.

Right now: We are focused on delivering games to backers and the retail launch of the game and GM Screen.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, entry products