Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-23-2022, 11:13 AM   #21
beaushinkle

Default Re: DFRPG questions: Discrepancy/errata (?) edition

Ah! The troubles of mixing meanings.
beaushinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #22
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
For the "and cheap or no armor" , I think it is simply 'cheap' as an adjective (inexpensive), not an attribute.
That's what I figured, too, as there's no single "Cheap" mod for armor. (Though I think there are some mods for low-quality armor tucked away in the Low-Tech series or somewhere.)

So I assume those zombies and orcs will usually have little (and thus low-value) armor: cloth/leather, or just a piece or two of heavier armor.
| Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: http://www.gamesdiner.com/categories/general/feed | Site updates
(Latest goods on the site: What’s interesting about roleplaying games, in which I note a few things I've always found notable about this hobby.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That's what I figured, too, as there's no single "Cheap" mod for armor. (Though I think there are some mods for low-quality armor tucked away in the Low-Tech series or somewhere.)

Kevin put a solid box on it in Delvers to Grow as well.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:50 AM   #24
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaushinkle View Post
This implies that field crafting is possible, but what are the rest of the parameters? Or more specifically, how many labor-hours does it require to make such a thing?
I figure it's just something the game intentionally leaves out. Almost all of the "how much time do in-Town tasks take?" stuff is filed under "don't worry about it".

Which I'm fine with. But it does necessitate some GM calls:

"You'll have just one day in Town."
"Okay. I need to craft a new set of plate armor."

Hmm...
| Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: http://www.gamesdiner.com/categories/general/feed | Site updates
(Latest goods on the site: What’s interesting about roleplaying games, in which I note a few things I've always found notable about this hobby.)
Old 11-24-2022, 08:04 AM   #25
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Kevin put a solid box on it in Delvers to Grow as well.
Ah, maybe that's where I saw it. There it is, on p37.

And that same box also introduces GURPS' Cheap mod for weapons to DFRPG, so that's nice too. (Exploits p49 mentions the modifier to breakage for cheap weapons, but Adventurers doesn't offer the Cheap mod as an actual option.)

Though, since we're on the topic of discrepancies, I'll be annoying now: Shouldn't Delvers to Grow describe Cheap weapons as having +2 to odds of breakage, not -2?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:13 AM   #26
sjmdw45

Quote:

So I assume those zombies and orcs will usually have little (and thus low-value) armor: cloth/leather, or just a piece or two of heavier armor.
Monsters pg 34 has a definition of sorts for poor-quality armor:

Hobgoblins wear scavenged scale, mail, and plate bits that average DR 3 (included above); gaps remove -2 from the penalty for Attacking Chinks in Armor (Exploits, p. 37), and resale value is $1d x30 as scrap if someone hauls 40-50 lbs. back to town (see Scrap, Exploits, pp. 16-17). They wield medium shields (DB 2) and crude, saw-toothed falchions that leave nasty wounds (break as cheap, and sell for at most $125).

Scale armor is 48 lb. and $960 for DR 3 (2 vs crushing). So if you can loot armor off a hobgoblin nstead of buying scale, that's a good deal. Effectively $100ish for DR 3 and less weight. The bonus to targeting armor chinks does not matter, either vs. orcs or against PCs or their hirelings. A -6 penalty to attack torso chinks in exchange for an effective +2 damage bonus is not worth it. You would LOVE for enemies to take that trade instead of attacking your vitals or face.

Edit: here's Low-Tech's take on cheap armor (pg 109).

Cheap Quality
This might be mass-produced munitions armor, issued to an army’s rank and file; an early example is the lorica segmentata (Segmented Plate, pp. 107-108) of the Roman legions. Alternatively, the armor could be the work of an inexperienced armorer, or incorporate low-grad materials. Cheap armor has -1 DR. -0.6 CF; weight is unchanged.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 11-25-2022 at 04:18 AM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #27
mburr0003

Quote:
Though, since we're on the topic of discrepancies, I'll be annoying now: Shouldn't Delvers to Grow describe Cheap weapons as having +2 to odds of breakage, not -2?
Yup, looks like Delvers got the symbol reversed.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote