Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Malfi

Default Knowing your own strength's Striking Strength

So in the knowing your own strength article, the cap suggestions for it are either double it or simply based on campaigns max damage. However if you want your striking strength to correspond to your lifting strength (at least as far as they are connected in the core rules) this could also work:

Lets say you have kyos 40 so that's the same lift capability of the old strength with a score 316, which allows for 33d thrust damage, which require 142 striking kyos, so now you can buy 102 level of striking strength maximum.

Another example kyos 50=>1000 old lifting strength=>102d thrust damage=>416 total kyos striking strength=> 366 striking kyos at maximum.

Would this work?

Last edited by Malfi; 10-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Arcanjo7Sagi

Default Re: Knowing your own strength's Striking Strength

For me, the rules from KYOS break after high levels of ST. The system works fine for normal humans and animals, but not for Supers.

Let me try to explain.

The striking damage does not scale with the lifting st. After a certain level, you'll be able to carry the Earth on your back, but you'll still have trouble smashing a tank.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Ottriman

I myself have also tweaked hp and damage scaling from logarithmic strength. The basic way to fix it is to have hp and damage scale up in a logarithmic manner that is less than BL.

Below is a copy/pasted explanation of how I do it from my homebrew file I give my new players.

"ST (Strength)

We use logarithmic strength as defined under Know Your Own Strength (Alternate GURPS 4) with the following tweaks:

1. HP scales differently, roughly so that it scales with the square root of the adjusted BL. This means a pattern of roughly x3 for +10 ST and x10 for +20 and x30 for +30 etc. etc.

This means 2 hp per ST past 10 up to 20, 6 per ST up to 29 with 30 setting it at 100 and then repeating with an extra zero at the end.

At below 10 ST things diverge quite heavily, with roughly -0,7 hp per ST below 10 all the way to 3 at ST 0. If needed to go lower then HP should be 1 by ST -10, 0,3 by -20 etc etc.

Fractional hp rules should only really come into play if extremely small creatures feature heavily. Treat them as if they had whole integer hp of some variety but multiply injury to them appropriately to compensate. For example a hp 0,1 creature could be treated as a 10 hp creature that suffers 100 times the injury.

2. As above but for damage scaling. Keep damage scaling in the ST 10-20 range the same. For ST above 20, keep adding fro thrust as per usual up until ST 23 and for swing keep adding as per usual until ST 21. Past these values check for the value with the same last digit in the 11-20 range and multiply by 3 for 10 over, by 10 for 20 ST over, by 30 for 30 ST over etc etc.

For ST below 10, Reduce it to 1d-3/1d-2 at ST 7-9. Below 7 you find the ST in the 10-16 range with the same last digit and divide the damage value there by 3. For example ST 0 would do (1d-2/1d) / 3, rounding down. Rounding may be skipped when combat is between enemies with fractional hp."

This should produce the following thrust/swing damages at ST 21-40

ST 21: 3d+1/4d-1
ST 22: 3d+2/4d+2
ST 23: 4d-1/5d+1
ST 24: 4d+2/6d
ST 25: 5d+1/7d-1
ST 26: 6d/7d+2
ST 27: 7d-1/8d+1
ST 28: 7d+2/9d
ST 29: 8d+1/10d-1
ST 30: 9d/(5d+1)x2
ST 31: 10d-1 / 6dx2
ST 32: (5d+1)x2 / 5dx3
ST 33: 6dx2 / 6dx3
ST 34: 5dx3 / 5dx4
ST 35: 6dx3 / 6dx4
ST 36: 5dx4 / 5dx5
ST 37: 6dx4 / 7dx4
ST 38: 5dx5 / 6dx5
ST 39: 7dx4 / 4dx8
ST 40: 6dx5 / 5dx7

I did some rounding to the nearest nice multiplier for damage past a certain point because keeping track of small plusses or minuses to the roll was no longer super relevant at those damage levels.

Hope this scaling solves your issue as well.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
The striking damage does not scale with the lifting st. After a certain level, you'll be able to carry the Earth on your back, but you'll still have trouble smashing a tank.
Yes that's why I allow you to buy striking strength to the point of the old strength equivalent.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
I myself have also tweaked hp and damage scaling from logarithmic strength. The basic way to fix it is to have hp and damage scale up in a logarithmic manner that is less than BL.

Below is a copy/pasted explanation of how I do it from my homebrew file I give my new players.

"ST (Strength)

We use logarithmic strength as defined under Know Your Own Strength (Alternate GURPS 4) with the following tweaks:

1. HP scales differently, roughly so that it scales with the square root of the adjusted BL. This means a pattern of roughly x3 for +10 ST and x10 for +20 and x30 for +30 etc. etc.

This means 2 hp per ST past 10 up to 20, 6 per ST up to 29 with 30 setting it at 100 and then repeating with an extra zero at the end.

At below 10 ST things diverge quite heavily, with roughly -0,7 hp per ST below 10 all the way to 3 at ST 0. If needed to go lower then HP should be 1 by ST -10, 0,3 by -20 etc etc.

Fractional hp rules should only really come into play if extremely small creatures feature heavily. Treat them as if they had whole integer hp of some variety but multiply injury to them appropriately to compensate. For example a hp 0,1 creature could be treated as a 10 hp creature that suffers 100 times the injury.

2. As above but for damage scaling. Keep damage scaling in the ST 10-20 range the same. For ST above 20, keep adding fro thrust as per usual up until ST 23 and for swing keep adding as per usual until ST 21. Past these values check for the value with the same last digit in the 11-20 range and multiply by 3 for 10 over, by 10 for 20 ST over, by 30 for 30 ST over etc etc.

For ST below 10, Reduce it to 1d-3/1d-2 at ST 7-9. Below 7 you find the ST in the 10-16 range with the same last digit and divide the damage value there by 3. For example ST 0 would do (1d-2/1d) / 3, rounding down. Rounding may be skipped when combat is between enemies with fractional hp."

This should produce the following thrust/swing damages at ST 21-40

ST 21: 3d+1/4d-1
ST 22: 3d+2/4d+2
ST 23: 4d-1/5d+1
ST 24: 4d+2/6d
ST 25: 5d+1/7d-1
ST 26: 6d/7d+2
ST 27: 7d-1/8d+1
ST 28: 7d+2/9d
ST 29: 8d+1/10d-1
ST 30: 9d/(5d+1)x2
ST 31: 10d-1 / 6dx2
ST 32: (5d+1)x2 / 5dx3
ST 33: 6dx2 / 6dx3
ST 34: 5dx3 / 5dx4
ST 35: 6dx3 / 6dx4
ST 36: 5dx4 / 5dx5
ST 37: 6dx4 / 7dx4
ST 38: 5dx5 / 6dx5
ST 39: 7dx4 / 4dx8
ST 40: 6dx5 / 5dx7

I did some rounding to the nearest nice multiplier for damage past a certain point because keeping track of small plusses or minuses to the roll was no longer super relevant at those damage levels.

Hope this scaling solves your issue as well.
This seems interesting, though my first impression is that your strength hack grants much more benefits than normal strength and despite its failings Kyos has a cost within Gurps's existing parameters (lifting is naturally more expensive, striking strength is based on innate attack and hp are the same).

That said I think I like it.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
Yes that's why I allow you to buy striking strength to the point of the old strength equivalent.
I agree. I have no problem with a brick buying as many levels of Striking LogST as they want, up to the campaign damage cap.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I agree. I have no problem with a brick buying as many levels of Striking LogST as they want, up to the campaign damage cap.
I actually suggested sth different than that (though what you say works too and is in the article). My suggestion was connecting striking strength to lifting strength.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #8
Ottriman

Quote:
This seems interesting, though my first impression is that your strength hack grants much more benefits than normal strength and despite its failings Kyos has a cost within Gurps's existing parameters (lifting is naturally more expensive, striking strength is based on innate attack and hp are the same).

That said I think I like it.
Ah yes I forgot to mention that I generally buff ST a lot. While I still used points I still made ST past 20 cost x2 and stuff, but yes generally I play high power games where high ST needs to be affordable.

Today I don't even use points anymore and go for my own home brewed progression system.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #9
Malfi

So if I understand correctly strength past 20 has a *2 cost than normal strength in your games? That would actually be within gurps's paramteters I think.

I too can see the limitations of a point system, if you don't mind me asking, what's the progression you use?
Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Ottriman

Quote:
So if I understand correctly strength past 20 has a *2 cost than normal strength in your games? That would actually be within gurps's paramteters I think.

I too can see the limitations of a point system, if you don't mind me asking, what's the progression you use?
Due to lack of satisfaction with the GURPS points system we ended up developing a pointless semi-narrativist progression.

Here's a view link to the doc I store it at.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing