Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages is released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish
I really don't see the problem. The PM justifies the MA, it doesn't grant it for free. You get what you pay for, and all that.
I didn't say it should grant MA. I said that it would be logical to use PM instead of the books/disks.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #42
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Photographic Memory isn't meant to represent complete, error-free storage of vast reams of data. It's meant to represent human-scale eidetic recall, which is considerably more fallible. For what you want, you'll need Modular Abilities. If the existing versions aren't good enough, use the notes in Powers. Personally, I don't see how Modular Abilities (Computer Brain) fails you here. You just store the programs in your computer brain and call them up; there's no explicit limit as to how many you can store, so if you luck out and download 1,000,000 skill programs, you can store and recall them. This is why it's more costly than Chip Slots and Super-Memorization.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #43
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Photographic Memory isn't meant to represent complete, error-free storage of vast reams of data. It's meant to represent human-scale eidetic recall, which is considerably more fallible. For what you want, you'll need Modular Abilities. If the existing versions aren't good enough, use the notes in Powers. Personally, I don't see how Modular Abilities (Computer Brain) fails you here. You just store the programs in your computer brain and call them up; there's no explicit limit as to how many you can store, so if you luck out and download 1,000,000 skill programs, you can store and recall them. This is why it's more costly than Chip Slots and Super-Memorization.
Well, the AI metatrait has the same PM as some human characters. Computer Brain is okay for programs. But what trait describes someone who can instantly memorize data from any medium if not PM? There isn't a trait that allows conversion of books into programs . . .
Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh

Well, the AI metatrait has the same PM as some human characters.
Sure. That represents the ability to play back experiences. This is fine, but not the same as understanding those experiences.

Quote:

Computer Brain is okay for programs. But what trait describes someone who can instantly memorize data from any medium if not PM? There isn't a trait that allows conversion of books into programs . . .
That's the trait I deem b.s. Converting experiences or readings into skills you can use is called learning. PM has nothing to do with learning, just memorizing. Learning costs points and takes the usual amount of time, even for an AI. I don't buy that an AI needs seconds to learn Physics from a book while a human needs months. That's rubbish. If for some reason you really need AI to work that way in some rubber-science fantasy campaign, use Altered Time Rate. An AI who can learn 100 times faster than humans really does have a 10,000-point advantage, because logically, all of its thought processes should be 100 times faster . . .
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Sure. That represents the ability to play back experiences. This is fine, but not the same as understanding those experiences.

That's the trait I deem b.s. Converting experiences or readings into skills you can use is called learning. PM has nothing to do with learning, just memorizing. Learning costs points and takes the usual amount of time, even for an AI. I don't buy that an AI needs seconds to learn Physics from a book while a human needs months. That's rubbish. If for some reason you really need AI to work that way in some rubber-science fantasy campaign, use Altered Time Rate. An AI who can learn 100 times faster than humans really does have a 10,000-point advantage, because logically, all of its thought processes should be 100 times faster . . .
So only a programmer with 8pts in Piloting can make a vehicular autopilot program of 8pts? That's weird. IIRC the most famous chess program was not made by a chess player of comparable levels.

I like the ATR explanation, except that it underlines the problem with defining the speed of ETS thought processes.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #46
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
An AI who can learn 100 times faster than humans really does have a 10,000-point advantage, because logically, all of its thought processes should be 100 times faster . . .
Should it still cost 10,000-points if it only covers "thought processes"? (No moving 100 times as fast, making 100 extra attacks, etc.)
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So only a programmer with 8pts in Piloting can make a vehicular autopilot program of 8pts?
Where do you get that? A team of programmers and aerospace engineers takes months to create autopilot programs.
Quote:
That's weird. IIRC the most famous chess program was not made by a chess player of comparable levels.
They didn't do it in an instant either.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #48
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Where do you get that? A team of programmers and aerospace engineers takes months to create autopilot programs.
Point accepted.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #49
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Then make sure your cinematic AI has a suitable programming skill at a high enough level to accept the -10 for "instant use" to convert experiences into programs, along with MA (Computer Brain) to run the programs.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #50
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
And the computer still lost the first tournament after several draws. IIRC..

Good news! I may or may not be the proud owner of 3 out of 4 DF pdfs! Kudos to me.

Is there a fifth installment planned?

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote