Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Fnordianslip

Default Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device

Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device [445 Points]

Warp
Accessibility (No Prep Time Allowed), -20%
Gadget/Breakable: DR 6-15, -10%
Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4, -15%
Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST, -30%
Requires Ready, -10%

Feature: Portal Ends Open Separately, +0%

Cosmic: No die roll required, +100%
Extra Carrying Capacity, +50%
No Strain, +25%
Range Limit, -25%
Reliable, +50%
Sense-Based (Line of Sight), -20%
Tunnel (+100%; Extended Duration (Permanent with dispelling conditions), +150%), +250% Lasts till a new portal end is formed.

With the new Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device you can move through the world in new and exciting ways! Just point where you want to go, press a button, and see a portal open before your very eyes! Decide where you want it to connect to, point, shoot, and walk! Millions of uses!
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
demonsbane

Default Re: Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device

Quote:
With the new Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device you can move through the world in new and exciting ways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
And how much does it cost in €?

;D

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
OneSeventeen

"The device is now more valuable than the organs and combined incomes of everyone in [subject hometown here]."

OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Tai

Quote:

Warp
Requires Ready, -10%

No Strain, +25%
Range Limit, -25%
Reliable, +50%
Tunnel (+100%; Extended Duration (Permanent with dispelling conditions), +150%), +250% Lasts till a new portal end is formed.
If you've got Cosmic, I don't think any of the other bolded enhancements/limitations are applicible - the Cosmic removes the prep time need, the risk of strain, and the roll that you're making reliable. That drops price by 55 points total, quite a sizable sum.

I'm also not sure, but I think you should price the Requires Ready at -15% - it needs two Readies, but you can do them seperately, even with a large time gap if you like.

Also, since the tunnel is permanent, I don't think you need much more carrying capacity than what the average person would carry - anything extra could be sent through the tunnel before or after if necessary. I'd say Light encumberance, maybe Medium for a military piece of hardware.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Shrale

Quote:

Warp
Requires Ready, -10%

No Strain, +25%
Range Limit, -25%
Reliable, +50%

With the new Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device you can move through the world in new and exciting ways! Just point where you want to go, press a button, and see a portal open before your very eyes! Decide where you want it to connect to, point, shoot, and walk! Millions of uses!
saw one the other night on Justice League, called a "Boom Tube" in fact Superman stole it off him during a scrap in a subway, while Captain Atom pushed him thru it, then Superman crushed it.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai
If you've got Cosmic, I don't think any of the other bolded enhancements/limitations are applicible - the Cosmic removes the prep time need, the risk of strain, and the roll that you're making reliable. That drops price by 55 points total, quite a sizable sum.
No Roll Required requires your effective skill to be at least 3. With an IQ of 10, you can never make an Instant teleport, because -10 for Instant makes your effective skill 0. You can't teleport beyond 1000 miles, because it reduces your effective skill below 3 making the ability impossible.

Strain is possible, because if you try to teleport somewhere that turns out to be too far away, or you try to teleport too quickly, or some combination of the two, you're still at risk of Strain.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
No Roll Required requires your effective skill to be at least 3. With an IQ of 10, you can never make an Instant teleport, because -10 for Instant makes your effective skill 0. You can't teleport beyond 1000 miles, because it reduces your effective skill below 3 making the ability impossible.

Strain is possible, because if you try to teleport somewhere that turns out to be too far away, or you try to teleport too quickly, or some combination of the two, you're still at risk of Strain.
You misunderstand me. What I mean is, if you have Cosmic, you don't need to apply no roll required or no strain, because you're not rolling to do anything that could strain - if I recall correctly, Strain only occurs on a critical failure. If you're not rolling, there's nothing to critically fail.

It's possible I'm misreading the rules, of course, I'd need to look it all up and crossreference it properly, and given my girlfriend's online for the first time in weeks, at the moment I have other priorities :P
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai
You misunderstand me. What I mean is, if you have Cosmic, you don't need to apply no roll required or no strain, because you're not rolling to do anything that could strain - if I recall correctly, Strain only occurs on a critical failure. If you're not rolling, there's nothing to critically fail.

It's possible I'm misreading the rules, of course, I'd need to look it all up and crossreference it properly, and given my girlfriend's online for the first time in weeks, at the moment I have other priorities :P
Strain occurs on any failure of the ability, so if you thought the target was only 1000 miles away, and it's 1001 miles away? You autofail and you autostrain your power.

And for reference, those skill penalties are why you want Reliable (+10 if possible). It allows you to make an instant teleport to a location 1000 miles away - -7 for range, -10 for instant, +10 for relaible, IQ 10 = effective skill 3, the minimum for Cosmic No Roll Required.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
LoneWolf23k

There is a limitation on the portal gun's ability to make portals on some surfaces; namely glass or reflective materials. Also, you need a flat surface large enough for the portal to manifest. If either condition isn't met, the portal fails to appear.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Strain occurs on any failure of the ability, so if you thought the target was only 1000 miles away, and it's 1001 miles away? You autofail and you autostrain your power.

And for reference, those skill penalties are why you want Reliable (+10 if possible). It allows you to make an instant teleport to a location 1000 miles away - -7 for range, -10 for instant, +10 for relaible, IQ 10 = effective skill 3, the minimum for Cosmic No Roll Required.
Aha, my apologies then, and my thanks for correcting my viewpoint! Now I know.

And knowing's half the battle. :P