Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #81
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Brujah, by any chance?
I think the urbane regal vampire cliche has been so thoroughly mocked and subverted in recent years that it no longer qualifies as an entrenched assumed stereotype.
Myths change, and even though most ancient versions were peachy keen with sunlight, the modern sparklies of Twilight made people lose their freaking minds. So bending beloved stereotypes may rub some the wrong way.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #82
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think the urbane regal vampire cliche has been so thoroughly mocked and subverted in recent years that it no longer qualifies as an entrenched assumed stereotype.
Myths change, and even though most ancient versions were peachy keen with sunlight, the modern sparklies of Twilight made people lose their freaking minds. So bending beloved stereotypes may rub some the wrong way.
Umm, people get mad about Twilight's treatment of sunlight not because it made vampires survive sunlight, but because it inspired a series of sparking sex toys, and now vampires can't fully fix the PR damage from that link.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #83
RyanW

Quote:
Umm, people get mad about Twilight's treatment of sunlight not because it made vampires survive sunlight, but because it inspired a series of sparking sex toys, and now vampires can't fully fix the PR damage from that link.
My issue with it is, when vampires are the protagonist, sunlight is effectively their kryptonite. Taking that and other weaknesses away basically made them about as interesting as watching someone play a video game with god mode cheats on (which, as Freeman's Mind showed, can still be incredibly entertaining, but only with a creator more talented than Meyers).
Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #84
WaterAndWindSpirit

The heterosexual no sex before marriage elf.

The bi-curious androgynous and sexually promiscuous dwarf.

Just switch the stereotypes, and watch what happens.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #85
jason taylor

The fisherman who falls in love with a Selkie but doesn't try to abduct her. Every year when she goes to a family reunion she says, "I need to brush my sealskin" and he says, "It's in the closet, did you forget already?"

Fair Folk who live in amiable relations with humans. Abductions by either party are just practical jokes and the abductee is always returned at the end of the day well primed with drink. The King of the Fair Folk is well known at the local pub, and the village elder regularly visits the court of the king of the Fair Folk.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #86
jason taylor

A college fraternity whose members drink moderately, behave in a gentlemanly manner, respect women and are kind to the poor. When they find out one of them was the murderer they are genuinely horrified and do not try to conceal him from the police.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #87
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
My issue with it is, when vampires are the protagonist, sunlight is effectively their kryptonite. Taking that and other weaknesses away basically made them about as interesting as watching someone play a video game with god mode cheats on (which, as Freeman's Mind showed, can still be incredibly entertaining, but only with a creator more talented than Meyers).
But earlier vampire fiction lacks such 'kryptonite'. Most notably Dracula, who walks around by day. Or do you think the issue applies to pre-Nosferatu vampires too?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #88
Icelander

Quote:
But earlier vampire fiction lacks such 'kryptonite'. Most notably Dracula, who walks around by day. Or do you think the issue applies to pre-Nosferatu vampires too?
Sunlight literally worked like kryptonite for Dracula, in that it affected his superhuman powers and made him weaker.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #89
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Sunlight literally worked like kryptonite for Dracula, in that it affected his superhuman powers and made him weaker.
IIRC Kryptonite didn't merely weaken Superman, but was actually slowly killing him. For a value of slowly that includes nearly collapsing immediately. Meanwhile, Dracula just casually strode around (and may or may not have used his mesmerizing powers - I'm fuzzy on the details by now).
Old 09-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #90
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
He got killed by a knife. I don't think comparing anyone killed by a mundane knife to Superman really works.