Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
Ree

Default Restraining order after dues ex machinegun

Tonight while in the middle of an opponent’s battle I played the dues ex machinegun and was under the impression that the battle immediately ceased. Nothing more could be done no matter what because the gods ended it. But my opponent played the restraining order card against me and because it says all cards played are returned to the restrained player I was given my dues ex machine back. I tired to argue that the combat is done and the restraining order doesn’t do anything to the combat because it’s over but I was out numbered so I let it go but I would really love some clarification.

Does the dues ex machinegun stop combat on the spot? And if so can the restraining order be used to reverse the battle ending like it was in my game?
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Ducallan

Default Re: Restraining order after dues ex machinegun

Disclaimer: this is an opinion/house rule, but based on lurking on the forums for a while...

I have ruled it that Restraining Order only removes & returns cards that are currently in play, i.e. one-shots, monster enhancers, etc. while a combat is still being fought. It would be too complicated to have to rewind all actions that have happened that turn, if more than just cards currently in play are affected. In a nutshell, cards that are already resolved and discarded are not affected.

Under this ruling, once Deus Ex Machinegun has been played, combat ends immediately and all cards in that combat get discarded and are no longer subject to being affected by Restraining Order. No new cards can be played by the target of Restraining Order, and nothing gets returned to them either.

I’d be interested to hear what other players thing about this, and would love to get an official statement on whether my ruling is valid or “just a house rule”.
Ducallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Deus ex Machinegun removes all the monsters and therefore ends combat. Restraining Order would not reverse that. Annihilation could, if it were played immediately.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 05-10-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Ree

Thank you!!!
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote