Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #21
Groknard

Default Re: Who's going to be at Origins?

Achievement unlocked. I'll be at Origins on Thursday, and will register for the TFT demo as soon as I get there *fingers crossed*. Even if I can't get into the game, I'll be stopping by to meet, greet, observe and report back (here and at the Facebook TFT group).

Sorry it was such a last minute decision. Things at work have been topsy-turvy and I wasn't sure if I could commit. If nothing else I would have volunteered to help with the manpower issue (maybe next year?). But it just struck me today that I'd be a fool to pass up the chance, this game has been a part of my life for so long.

I'm so looking forward to meeting Steve and the team!!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #22
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Please introduce yourself when you get there. There will certainly be plenty of room to observe, and there may be impromptu games at other times. Worst case, you can still say "Hey, Steve, show me the color labyrinth map."

(posted from the airline lounge in DFW)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #23
JLV

Lucky you, Groknard! Enjoy!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #24
Evilboy

I used to go to Origins years ago before GenCon got a lot closer by moving to Indy and became my group's Summer Convention Choice.

So I won't be there this year, much as I want to see this first public unveiling :-(

That said...are there plans for a GenCon showing?
Evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilboy View Post
That said...are there plans for a GenCon showing?
Yes. And we should be running demos in the booth.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #26
enelsonmo

Any pics from Origins? Would like to see the demo of tft.
enelsonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #27
Groknard

Report and pics coming soon!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
Report and pics coming soon!
Ooooh. Can't wait 😊😊😊😊
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #29
Groknard

Taking a break to report in. I got to the con early, but the afternoon game was already sold out. But the rest of the morning made up for it!

I managed to spot Steve as he was strolling towards the SJG game area, right off the main concourse. Introduced myself and despite the fact that his day (and coffee!) was just getting started, he was excited to show and tell.

We sat down and chatted about all sorts of things for a bit. I can confirm that Steve is paying attention to the discussions here and it has informed the work. We didn't talk about any particular rules or discussions, but from what I heard and what I saw, this is certainly not going to be a complete reimagining of the game. It looks to definitely be a "Legacy Edition", what TFT could have been with better tools and more time back in 1980.

I really want to point out that everything shown and said is preliminary and subject to change. There are still rules elements to be finalized. I really saw no artwork beyond what we've already seen. Anything I say below could change between now and the Kickstarter.

He pulled out the playtest box which included most of the elements under consideration. Things of note:

- I was able to page through the Melee and Wizard rulebooks. What struck me at a glance was how little had changed! The typeface and layout were similar, the table of contents appeared to be virtually the same, Ragnar The Impetuous was there (and looking pretty good for his age!), notes are still being made. Each game will still have its own map, narrow for Melee and wide for Wizard (as each game will be sold as standalone sets).
- (ADDED: just remembered) Plan for the full set is 9"x2"11" bookcase style box
- I got to see prototype megahexes! Mounted, dry-erase surface, in a variety of configurations, much as they were in the centerfolds of the original AM/AW/ITL releases. Steve hopes they can be double-sided. If or how these will show up for the game and/or Kickstarter is still being scoped out, but IMO it will be so nice to have a sturdy set of these.
- IIRC, the hexes are slightly bigger than the Metagaming standard
- First look at the colored dungeon maps! These really do look much like what we saw in the original game and in Tollenkar, but now they're in color. The patterns remain to assist those who might be color blind.

Links to photos (please don't embed on other sites, this is my own webspace):

- Steve with the playtest set
- Playtest box
- A Melee character from yesterday's game. He did not fare well.
- Prototype megahexes
- Megahexes and the dungeon map
- Map close-up
- Postcard style promo cards from front desk
- Postcard style promo cards from front desk (flipside)
- Got Steve to autograph some things I had laying around

All in all, I was thrilled. Steve was very laid-back, gracious with his time and I can tell you he is really into this. This has been a different experience for him than re-visiting Ogre. That was to make something as big as the game itself. Going back to TFT, on the other hand, is "a rare second chance" to put it out as he'd intended.

I really want to thank Steve and Phil for their time, and wish them a great rest of the show. This was a big thing for me, a chance to meet the guy who in many ways has had as big an impact on me as Star Wars, or Isaac Asimov. Much like TFT coming back, it's something I never thought I'd get to experience!

It's real, folks. It's happening and it'll be here soon!

Last edited by Groknard; 06-14-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Groknard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #30
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post

...It looks to definitely be a "Legacy Edition", what TFT could have been with better tools and more time back in 1980.
I think that's the best news so far. I've always wanted the TFT that Steve would have made if he'd had far more resources. While I don't mind tweaks, clarifications, resolution of ambiguities and and fixes for obvious problems, I prefer that it remain mostly the TFT that I bought in 1979-1981.

There's been a lot of genetic drift among the TFT faithful, most of it mutually exclusive. I prefer that Steve remain faithful to his original vision.

Quote:
- Steve with the playtest set
- Playtest box
- A Melee character from yesterday's game. He did not fare well.
- Prototype megahexes
- Megahexes and the dungeon map
- Map close-up
- Postcard style promo cards from front desk
- Postcard style promo cards from front desk (flipside)
- Got Steve to autograph some things I had laying around
It's real, folks. It's happening and it'll be here soon!
I believe this sums up my reaction:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/289ffdc...f-625114c5e25c

Last edited by tbeard1999; 06-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote