Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
Purple Haze

Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
In the Banestorm Rulebook in the chapter about Zarak it says:
- Zarakun (nearly) never allow non-Zarakun in their tunnels.
- For each of the big Clans there is (exactly) one trade town directly above their clan capital
- For each of the big Clans it is said with whom they trade. There are Clans that trade both with Sahud AND with Megalos.
Wrong. What it says, on page 158, is:

"Each clanhold has many connections to the surface, but only a few that are considered public knowledge. Outside each is a trade-town, where dwarves meet with non-dwarves to buy and sell."

Each clan has more than one trade-town.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #22
dds_ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Wrong. What it says, on page 158, is:

"Each clanhold has many connections to the surface, but only a few that are considered public knowledge. Outside each is a trade-town, where dwarves meet with non-dwarves to buy and sell."

Each clan has more than one trade-town.
Oh, interesting point of view. I read the same passage, but had a different interpretation.

I thought that "Outside each..." would refer to each of the (seven) clanholds (of the major clans), not to the (many) connections to the surface.

My reason: If only few connections are public knowledge, but each of them - even the unknown ones - have a trade town, then I would think that this would be a spoil of ressources. And the religion of Zarakun is absolutely not in favour of spoiling any ressource.
But on the other hand: I'm not a native speaker, so I may be wrong.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
Oh, interesting point of view. I read the same passage, but had a different interpretation.

I thought that "Outside each..." would refer to each of the (seven) clanholds (of the major clans), not to the (many) connections to the surface.

My reason: If only few connections are public knowledge, but each of them - even the unknown ones - have a trade town, then I would think that this would be a spoil of ressources. And the religion of Zarakun is absolutely not in favour of spoiling any ressource.
But on the other hand: I'm not a native speaker, so I may be wrong.
I read it as "outside each of the few connections that are public knowledge". Though I'll admit I think that because its the one of the three possibilities that makes the most sense to me.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If each clan has "a few" publicly known entrances, that implies a minimum of 21 trading nexuses, whether there is a town there or not.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If each clan has "a few" publicly known entrances, that implies a minimum of 21 trading nexuses, whether there is a town there or not.
Few does not mean three or more. "couple" would not be used because it consistently means two, and would imply an exact number for each clan. Few also behaves interestingly when you apply it to a big group like 7 dwarf towns. I'd argue that 7 clans with 12 towns have a "few towns each", but even if you insist that "few" means "multiple", 15 would easily fit the description of "a few publicly known entrances".

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Few does not mean three or more. "couple" would not be used because it consistently means two, and would imply an exact number for each clan.
Couple would have imply an average of two, few seems to imply a higher average. Granted that could be just slighty over two so, 15 or more trading nexuses with or without towns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #27
jason taylor

Each clan would probably have sally ports or at least have a route to dig them precharted. Those would naturally be kept secret.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:52 AM   #28
dds_ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I read it as "outside each of the few connections that are public knowledge". Though I'll admit I think that because its the one of the three possibilities that makes the most sense to me.
You're right, that version makes most sense.
Thank you, that helps me with my problem to make "finding a land route from western Megalos to Sahud" an adventure.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surface, trade town, yrth, zarak