Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
onetrikpony

Default parole, criminal watchlist

Forum search failed; :(

In a near future campaign; what would be an appropriate disadvantage for being on parole or a criminal/terrorist watch list?

which book might I find it in?

thank you.
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: parole, criminal watchlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
Forum search failed; :(

In a near future campaign; what would be an appropriate disadvantage for being on parole or a criminal/terrorist watch list?

which book might I find it in?

thank you.
For the mild version it's social stigma Criminal Record. law enforcers react at -2, and there are certain things you're not allowed to do or be. If you are under active surveillance all the time, then you also have an x1/4 Enemy. A pretty powerful one although it only reacts if you step out of line and you can't evade surveillance inconspicuously to do it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
onetrikpony

Default oops probably figured it out

I always find an answer right after I post a question.

A parolee or someone otherwise on a criminal watch list probably has;
Enemy (Large Group; FBI, DHS etc.) [-8]
Watcher (Enemy stalks and spies on you) x 1/4
Frequency (Fairly often roll 9 or less) x 1
Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
onetrikpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If you are under active surveillance all the time, then you also have an x1/4 Enemy. A pretty powerful one although it only reacts if you step out of line and you can't evade surveillance inconspicuously to do it.
Thanks. I guess you posted right before me...

It seems that continual surveillance might have a frequency of 'all the time' ( x 4)
what frequency would best represent a weekly visit or check in? I was thinking 9 or less (x 1) for basically getting harassed or reported every other adventure.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
Thanks. I guess you posted right before me...

It seems that continual surveillance might have a frequency of 'all the time' ( x 4)
what frequency would best represent a weekly visit or check in? I was thinking 9 or less (x 1) for basically getting harassed or reported every other adventure.
Being required to check in once a week is more like a 6- It would only be more than that if your parole officer was suspicious of you and checking up on you unexpectedly.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
adm

What you are convicted of can make a difference as well, insurance fraud would likely be the 6 on level of nuisance. Being convicted of child molestation may be at 16 or 17, when you count things like neighborhood watch.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
adm

What you are convicted of can make a difference as well, insurance fraud would likely be the 6 on level of nuisance. Being convicted of child molestation may be at 16 or 17, when you count things like neighborhood watch.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
patchwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Being required to check in once a week is more like a 6- It would only be more than that if your parole officer was suspicious of you and checking up on you unexpectedly.
In a future campaign, the 9- represents an expert system monitoring your motions and activities in a surveillance state and flagging you for the attention of a human officer when you do something questionable. And it's only 9- because the system is far from perfect and human sign-off is still legally required.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
jason taylor

You might also worry about your old gang wondering if there was a REASON you were handled so gently.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
That would also remove the watched part of enemy as many, regardless of specifics of crimes, are actively hunted and abused.

Though defrauding enough people may lead to at least one trying to get you for bankrupting grandma onto the street.

Tags
criminal, disadvantage, law, parole