Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
L.J.Steele

Default Hunting Metas

This is for my Fate Core supers game. Just about a year ago in game-time, a large meteorite exploded over San Diego right around ComicCon. A handful of people started developing powers, which they think may be meteor-related. The first couple of adventures had been pretty low key; in the last session, some of the PCs went public to help some folks trapped by a fire so cat is out of the bag.

So I'm pondering a villain (highly trained norm) who's hunting metas. The basic idea is to set some bait (I was thinking a series of fires) with traps inside the structure to take down the responding heros (and perhaps accidentally endangering a few firefighters). I've learned from the radiation vampire adventure not to put the villain, even if ludicrously overpowered, on stage before the last act -- the PCs will spend all their resources to take the foe down on sight if he lacks a viable exit strategy.

Other than fires, what might a hunter do to bait heros and villians? Think first season Flash or Arrow for power levels. Tone is more Flash than Arrow.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Hunting Metas

The meteorite hit comic-con? umm... wow. Talk about Meta.

suicide jumpers are a classic way for supers to show off their powers, but that depends on your PC's.

If they react so strongly to supervillians, staging a fake supervillain and using him as bait would work.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Other than fires, what might a hunter do to bait heros and villians?
Depends a bit on what the metas have previously demonstrated an interest in. Alternately, it's probably fair to assume that metas are interested in other metas, so fake metas...
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
RogerBW

If people are running anything like traditional superheroes, then "innocents in danger" is the key concept. A mix of "accidents" like fires, bridge collapses, and so on, and criminal activity like hijackings and hostage situations (via patsies, but they might provide the beginnings of a trace to the villain) would seem best.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Astromancer

A second vote for "innocents in danger."

Try stealing action film plots, with the villain admitting he watched those films and want different endings. You wouldn't need a trap in every one, but paranoia should build fast.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The meteorite hit comic-con? umm... wow. Talk about Meta.
Oddly enough, everyone that developed super abilities did so in accordance with the way they were dressed for cosplay at the con. Nobody dressed in mundane clothing has so far shown any meta abilities.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote