Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Reikon

Default Total Klutz + Daredevil (N levels)

I wonder, does multiple levels of Daredevil (Supers p.26) allows multiple rerolls of critical failure?

Because if they does, it leads to a very interesting combo - Total Klutz + Daredevil (N levels).

With Total Kiutz (B141) "any failure on a DX roll or DX-based skill roll is considered a critical failure for you".

So with Daredevil I can reroll any DX-based failure, if I'm doing something really stupid.

This combo rocks even with first level: if my effective skill level without DD bonus is 13, my chance of failing in something really stupid is less than 1% (I must roll 15+ twice), and with 10 (without DD bonus) I'll get ~86% success, which is great too. By the way, Total Klutz allows DX 13.

You can imagine what can a super do with multiple rerolls... and that should be really fun to play a character, that can capture a ship full of angry pirates, and then accidently fall in water while looting his trophys.
Reikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Total Klutz + Daredevil (N levels)

I always wondered if maybe Daredevil is actually recursive. :)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

And to top it all off Daredevil[15] + Total Klutz[-15] = 0 points. Wow.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
And to top it all off Daredevil[15] + Total Klutz[-15] = 0 points. Wow.
Strangely, abusing this combo on purpose will definetely be a munchkinning, untill you also buy Overconfidence for [-5], Megalomania [-10], or even On the Edge [-15].

So basic combo effectively has negative cost. Now that is "Wow" =)

And I'm pretty shure that even Total Clutz [-15] + On the Edge (self-controll roll 6) [-30] + Daredevil 3 [45] for [0] points total is perfectly viable in some campaigns (or "totally rocks to play", if it will give you 3 rerolls, or may be "ultimately rocks", if you also have some levels in Luck).

upd: on the second thought, On the Edge is the best option. Every time it is triggered, you definetely get a DD bonus for your actions, because other kinds of actions are not allowed in the first place =) This kind of solves ethernal problem "was my action crazy enough to get a +1?". If GM allows an action, it must get bonuses. So basic combo is [-7]...[-30] points, depending on OtE disadvantage level =)

Last edited by Reikon; 12-28-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Second thought
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I always wondered if maybe Daredevil is actually recursive. :)
After discovering this combo, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be =)
But I'm still in doubt about multiple levels of DD.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Xplo

This is easily de-Munchkined by ruling that DD only allows rerolls on a "natural" critical failure, not one caused by TK after a normal failure.

Of course, this means that your PC only has successes and spectacular failures, but if you're making a character with DD and TK you're probably asking for this (and considering the final point cost, seems perfectly fair). If that's a bit too slapstick for the GM, he's free to forbid the combination (or just forbid TK, which only seems suitable for a silly game).
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
This is easily de-Munchkined by ruling that DD only allows rerolls on a "natural" critical failure, not one caused by TK after a normal failure.

Of course, this means that your PC only has successes and spectacular failures, but if you're making a character with DD and TK you're probably asking for this (and considering the final point cost, seems perfectly fair). If that's a bit too slapstick for the GM, he's free to forbid the combination (or just forbid TK, which only seems suitable for a silly game).
Forbidding something obviously powerful always spoil all the fun. Eventually, any debates ends at the point "but why does standard Innate Attack is so damn cheap and so overpowered?", and after that DM has no arguments =)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
I wonder, does multiple levels of Daredevil (Supers p.26) allows multiple rerolls of critical failure?

Because if they does, it leads to a very interesting combo - Total Klutz + Daredevil (N levels).

With Total Kiutz (B141) "any failure on a DX roll or DX-based skill roll is considered a critical failure for you".
Nah. I`m gonna stake my response on the word ``considered``.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Nah. I`m gonna stake my response on the word ``considered``.
May be I don't get it (my english is pretty poor), but I thought that at all the rest of the places in the book "X is considered Y" effectively means "rules for X are the same, as for Y". For example:

B75: "a one-handed attack to the opposite side (e.g., attacking your left hex with your right hand) is clumsy and considered a Wild Swing (see p. 388)."

B182: "Brawling includes the ability to use the blackjack or sap. An attack with such a fist load is considered a punch at +1 to damage."

Am I wrong?

Last edited by Reikon; 12-28-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Tags
daredevil, total klutz