Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default [Monster] Floofs

Floof
Elder Thing
Cute halfling sized puffs of fluff that float gracefully through the air and are corrosive to the touch. Often found floating in fluffles of 3 or more near or at a Sacred place devoted to Good and/or Law.
ST: 6
DX: 14
IQ: 6
HT: 14
HP: 10
Will: 12
Per: 14
FP: 14
Speed: 7
Move: 10
SM: -2
Dodge: 12
Parry: 12

DR: 0
Acid Touch (18): 1d Corrosion, follow up 1d-3 cor each sec for 5 secs. This attack is automatic on any turn a Floof starts already in a grapple.
Floof pile! (14): This is grapple, Floofs are sticky and are treated as ST 8 for attempts to break free. Further every Floof after the first that piles on adds +2 to resisting break free attempts. Floofs can only perform a grapple, they cannot perform Takedowns or Pins. They will hold a foe until it stops struggling. If two or more Floofs pile on, treat the Acid Touch as Large Area Injury and apply it only once (not once per Floof, just once).
Sticky hair (14): A Floof may immediately attempt to grapple anything that touches them, they may also do this following a successful Parry. This grapple is a free action.

Traits: 360° Vision; Aerial; Attractive, Congenial; Dark Vision (Color Vision); Doesn’t Breathe; Doesn’t Eat or Drink; Doesn’t Sleep; Doesn't Speak; Enhanced Dodge 2; Enhanced Parry 1; Flight; Homogeneous; Immunity to Disease; Immunity to Poison; Magic Resistance 6; No Blood; No Eyes; No Head; No Legs; No Manipulators; No Neck; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents); Pressure Support; See Invisible; Silence 8; Unfazeable; Vibration Sense (Air).

Skills: Acrobatics-18; Brawling-16; Stealth-14; Wrestling-14.

Class: Elder Thing.

Notes: Floofs are generally initially docile unless they encounter one of three things: Evil/Chaos Elder Things, Evil Demons, or dungeon delvers that are desecrating a Good or Lawful Sacred place. Though Floofs do not speak, they chirp and trill and gruff like small cutsey animals, or growl and hiss when upset. Some seem to even understand Common.

Floofs that are unsure of a delver's intent will begin a conflict by 'gently' trying to herd them away, they can 'pull their punches' so to speak by just touching their foes a bit less and leaving less sticky acid hairs on them (reduce a hit to as low as 1 Corrosion with 1 follow up for 5 seconds).

Clerics and Holy Warriors devoted to Good and/or Law gods gain a Reaction Bonus to Floofs equal to their Holiness or Power Investiture. Spells or abilities that allow Animal Speech allow for communication with Floofs, despite them not being animals. However this communication will be poor and halting.

The fuzzy remains of a dead Floof are prized as Alkahest ingredients.

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-05-2018 at 03:24 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
martinl

Default Re: [Monster] Floofs

Noice.

Do they merit attractive appearance?

What colors are they? Do they glow in the dark? They seem like the sort of thing that glows in the dark.

It looks to me like the grapple should inflict a free acid touch but this is not explicit.

It also really seems to me that they should taste and smell irresistibly delicious. Not sure why, just seems right to imagine a happy delver shoving more and more acidic doom into their bloody melting pie hole.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Noice.
Thanks!

Quote:
Do they merit attractive appearance?
Oh, good call. They are definitive Attractive. On the cutesy, kawaii side, but that fits for a nice +1

Quote:
What colors are they?
I was leaving that undecided. I suspect different dungeons may have different breeds of Floofs. Like calicoes, tabbys, etc...

Say if Siamese Floofs all prefer Law, where Calico Floofs might prefer Good.

Quote:
Do they glow in the dark? They seem like the sort of thing that glows in the dark.
No, as that would interfere with them being one of the stealth foes of the Dungeon world.

Quote:
It looks to me like the grapple should inflict a free acid touch but this is not explicit.
Definitely. I missed it, I'll edit that in after I do brekkie.

Quote:
It also really seems to me that they should taste and smell irresistibly delicious. Not sure why, just seems right to imagine a happy delver shoving more and more acidic doom into their bloody melting pie hole.
That's a possibility, but they weren't meant to be a cotton candy-based creature... rather they are refluffed Flumphs and based on these creatures (but, you know, without limbs, eyes, etc):

https://www.thesprucepets.com/thmb/E...f772838e89.jpg

https://memestatic.fjcdn.com/gifs/Fi...78_6506988.gif

But I did consider a Spiky Floof...

https://memestatic.fjcdn.com/picture...83_6554138.jpg

But hey, in the Big Rock Candy Dungeon, I suspect they'd be tasty indeed.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Elder Floof
Elder Thing
Slightly larger Floofs that have hung around absorbing all that Good and Lawness and now pay it forward...

Identical to smaller Floofs but for these changes:
ST: 10
IQ: 8
HP: 16
Will: 16
SM: 0
Good Vibes (16): Elder Floofs radiate an aura of peace and calm, any non-Elder Thing that comes within 10 yards of an Elder Floof is afflicted with Pacifism (Cannot Kill). This is a Quick Contest of the Elder Floof's Good Vibes 16 and the victims's Will and lasts for so long as the afflicted remains within the aura. Victims that initially resist will be re-afflicted each round until they submit.

Traits: Telepathy.

Notes: Creatures that already have Pacifism gain a Reaction bonus to the Elder Floof equal to the Disadvantage points of their Pacifism. Elder Floofs only initiate communication with creatures that have a +10 or greater Reaction bonus from Pacifism, Holiness, or Power Investiture.

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-06-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spilleng erorrs
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Dark Floof
Elder Thing
Identical to 'regular' Floofs except they are darkly colored and hang around Evil and/or Chaos Sacred places. Also they try to drive everyone away from the Evil/Chaos place, even if the delvers are 'passing through and not 'desecrating' the place.

Notes: Dark Floofs prefer to attack foes that have Holiness and Power Investiture dedicated to Good/Law Gods. They gain Reaction bonuses to Holy Warriors and Clerics dedicated to Gods of Evil/Chaos equal to their Unholiness and Power Investiture.

They 'communicate' only in growls, hisses, and screeches.

Elder Dark Floof
Elder Thing
Identical to Elder Floofs except for the following:

Bad Vibes (16): Dark Elder Floofs radiate an aura of violence and hate afflicting those within 10 yards with Berserk and Bloodlust. This is a Quick Contest of the Elder Floof's Bad Vibes 16 and the victims's Will and lasts for so long as the afflicted remains within the aura. Victims that initially resist will be re-afflicted each round until they submit. Victims that already have Berserk or Bloodlust have their self-control rolls lowered by 6 and are at -6 to Will rolls to snap out of Berserk. They also gain a +6 to Will rolls to go Berserk and may do so as a Free Action.

Notes: Dark Elder Floofs will only initiate mental communication with foes to gloat over their eventual demise. They hate foes with Charitable, Honesty, and any level of Pacifism.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Dalin

I love the idea of a group of Elder Floof "pilgrims" slowly migrating across the dungeon while the PCs are engaged in a mega-battle. As the floofs approach, foes and PCs alike suddenly stop fighting (or switch to grappling), drop their weapons to bandage bleeding opponents, and otherwise change tactics dramatically. Then, after the pilgrims pass, bloody mayhem resumes.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I love the idea of a group of Elder Floof "pilgrims" slowly migrating across the dungeon while the PCs are engaged in a mega-battle. As the floofs approach, foes and PCs alike suddenly stop fighting (or switch to grappling), drop their weapons to bandage bleeding opponents, and otherwise change tactics dramatically. Then, after the pilgrims pass, bloody mayhem resumes.
Or the BBEG Mindwarper who keeps an Elder Floof caged near him to render delvers safe and docile when they come for him.

Of course a group young Floofs and a reckless (slightly crazed?) dungeon Druid come seeking the Party's aid in freeing the Elder before all the 'bad thoughts' of the Mindwarper (and it's gibbering minions) turn it Dark...
Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

*squints* I love everything about this thread. That is all. I have nothing useful to add, but do more. #FloofsForever #FlomphsForeverToo

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
#FlomphsForeverToo
"Flomphs"? Hmmmm... ;)