Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #21
Humabout

Default Re: Pyramid #3/70: Fourth Edition Festival

I have to blame/credit Steven for a new aspect of my scifi setting. He said, "ghostspace" and my mind started racing. This issue is full of great stuff. And really, I want to find a way to reskin horde ninja....

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #22
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I have to blame/credit Steven for a new aspect of my scifi setting. He said, "ghostspace" and my mind started racing. This issue is full of great stuff. And really, I want to find a way to reskin horde ninja....
Yeah Ghostspace works for some ideas in the Vote Up a Space Opera thread and a few ideas from fiction too.
As for Horde Ninja reskins?
Try the cat hordes from Khadath, Verms, Hordes of insects, deadly rats, demon minnions (thats where the author first used it anyhow), etc.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #23
Humabout

I'm actually considering a Horde Ninja reskin as a boss that has split himself into multiple minions and coalesces into his full furious glory as his mooks are beaten down by the PCs. So until the horde is dealt with, the PCs don't really get to see just what they are facing. It's a rough idea at present.

I'm seeing "Ghostspace" + technobabble as an explaination of where psi comes from. It's more prevalent among spacers and colonists, but the truth is that it's the result of using FTL drives. Kind of mix in some Firefly Reapers, stuff from Event Horizon, and the idea of Ghostspace to get some really weird stuff.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I'm actually considering a Horde Ninja reskin as a boss that has split himself into multiple minions and coalesces into his full furious glory as his mooks are beaten down by the PCs. So until the horde is dealt with, the PCs don't really get to see just what they are facing. It's a rough idea at present.

I'm seeing "Ghostspace" + technobabble as an explaination of where psi comes from. It's more prevalent among spacers and colonists, but the truth is that it's the result of using FTL drives. Kind of mix in some Firefly Reapers, stuff from Event Horizon, and the idea of Ghostspace to get some really weird stuff.
Sounds cool.
Another idea for Horde Ninjas are anything with a Hive or shared mind, Battle robots linked so that they recognize the PC tactics and can better predict them as the fight goes on for example.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 08-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sounds cool.
Another idea for Horde Ninjas are anything with a Hive or shared mind, Battle robots linked so that they recognize the PC tactics and can better predict them as the fight goes on for example.
That's a cool interpretation, too! I was in a bit of a fantasy-mode. This is certainly something to consider for scifi stuff...

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #26
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
demon minnions (thats where the author first used it anyhow), etc.
To clarify, I used the Last Ninja Rule with 7 shadowy life-sucking demons. Horde ninja, well, those are new. You could easily make a Horde version of anything from DF15 - start with a 125 point template, make your choices, and then deploy them en masse. ;)
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
Humabout

Sounds like a nifty Monster Affix!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #28
Michael Thayne

Wow. This is my favorite Pyramid in a long time. I feel like everyone involved did a really good job of using it as an excuse to fill a bunch of kinda-obvious gaps in GURPS that they never had a good excuse to handle before. My favorite is PK's Xia template. When Chinese Elemental Powers came out, I was disappointed that it didn't seem designed to scale to higher-powered games... but now we know how to do high-powered CEP.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #29
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
When Chinese Elemental Powers came out, I was disappointed that it didn't seem designed to scale to higher-powered games... but now we know how to do high-powered CEP.
For even more extreme results, allow Godlike Extra Effort: Xia can spend as much FP as they want on extra effort, and you multiply the effective penalty by the FP spent. (Example: If you spend 4 FP and take a -15 penalty, treat it as though you'd taken -60 to your extra effort roll.) Be warned that this will risk turning xia into warriors that explode brilliantly once, then are weak for the rest of the fight. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
For even more extreme results, allow Godlike Extra Effort: Xia can spend as much FP as they want on extra effort, and you multiply the effective penalty by the FP spent. (Example: If you spend 4 FP and take a -15 penalty, treat it as though you'd taken -60 to your extra effort roll.) Be warned that this will risk turning xia into warriors that explode brilliantly once, then are weak for the rest of the fight. :)
That is a way better way to phrase the Godlike Extra effort rules then the line in Powers.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
pyramid 3/70