Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Juliansl

Default Fast Draw (Arrow) and Atlatl

Does a successful fast draw roll to ready a dart reduce the time needed to ready an atlatl by one second as well? If not is it then completely useless to somebody who use an atlatl?
Juliansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Fast Draw (Arrow) and Atlatl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliansl View Post
Does a successful fast draw roll to ready a dart reduce the time needed to ready an atlatl by one second as well? If not is it then completely useless to somebody who use an atlatl?
It works the same ways for an atlatl as it does for a bow.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Juliansl

That's great, because then you can attack every round with it. Or even multiple times if you have extra attack.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

Unfortunately, it’s blowpipe darts that Fast-Draw works for (Exploit p.76). Atlatl darts are twenty times the weight — they can no more be fast-drawn than throwing axes can be.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Juliansl

You can also Fast Draw a 7 pound Greatsword, so I'm not quite convinced that it doesn't apply to these darts.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
zuljita

Fast-Draw arrow does appear to allow the fast-drawing of any dart. The fact that Atlatl isn't mentioned in the second clause on Adventurers p. 76 gives some leeway for either interpretation though. For my DoA games, I'll consider that second clause a point of clarification, not an exhaustive list.

Quote:
That's great, because then you can attack every round with it. Or even multiple times if you have extra attack.
not so. You still have to load the atlatl after readying the projectile. Even if Fast-Draw works, you're still looking at ROF 1/2 unless your GM is willing to expand Heroic Archer to Heroic Atlatlist (Which I wouldn't advise).
Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
not so. You still have to load the atlatl after readying the projectile. Even if Fast-Draw works, you're still looking at ROF 1/2 unless your GM is willing to expand Heroic Archer to Heroic Atlatlist (Which I wouldn't advise).
Atlatl loading time is (1), though. So if you’re allowed Fast-Draw and reduce it by one second, you are firing a sw weapon every second.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

"It takes one turn to position the spear in the thrower after both are in hand and ready." So in this case, Shots 1(1) assumes you have the projectile in the other hand and don't have to pull it out first – you just position it and hurl it. Projectiles kept in a quiver (or wherever) would give effective Shots 1(2), and Fast-Draw would make it 1(1). Fast-Draw wouldn't do anything to help you if you kept your projectiles in your hand; it's still advantageous, because it leaves you a free hand instead of forcing you to walk around with a fist full of darts like Zeus clutching thunderbolts.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Juliansl

Oh, I just assumed that it was included in the shots similarly to bows and such. That puts a bit of a dampener, but going from thrust to swing damage is a fair tradeoff for having to spend an extra turn compared to a heroic archer.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I just assumed that it was included in the shots similarly to bows and such. That puts a bit of a dampener, but going from thrust to swing damage is a fair tradeoff for having to spend an extra turn compared to a heroic archer.
With Heroic Atlatler you can make those "immediate ready and fire" rolls same as an archer.

Or just put those points into Spear Thrower and take the -10 to skill to ready and fire in one action.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote