Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: Summoning allies with Ritual Path Magic

If I am the DM, I certainly am going to make the player deal with statting the summon if it needs stats
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If I am the DM, I certainly am going to make the player deal with statting the summon if it needs stats
It's your game, but that's an atypical approach. I can understand it though.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Anaraxes

I think the recommendation to have Allies built by the GM is to avoid player abuse by crafting an Ally that's an exact complement to the main PC's skill set and Advantages, with no overlap or duplication, and precisely selected synergies. That's less of a concern when it comes to picking the exact ST or IQ of a fire elemental, so that level of choice could be left in the hands of the player.

(I'm assuming "fire elementals" have a fairly well defined type, probably a template, in the setting, so just that phrase gives you a good idea of what it can do. If any sort of creature with arbitrary magical powers can be summoned on a whim, then you might need to reinsert the GM intervention. Though such a "Modular Ally" would already be hugely powerful.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
Jefepato

I can definitely understand wanting players to stat their own minions, as long as the GM exerts some oversight to make sure the critter makes sense and isn't min/maxed for the PC's precise needs.

As far as elementals go, there are a lot of helpful templates and lenses in DF9 - Summoners. (Although, as a player trying to summon an earth elemental, I'd probably be begging the GM to at least give mine a few points in Brawling.)

You definitely wouldn't want to let a summon-happy PC just conjure up temporary allies that can do anything ever, of course, but I figure "I want a strong and tough earth elemental to help us fight" or "I want a water elemental that can help us drown that werewolf" are reasonable levels of customization, as long as the parameters are set when the spell is cast and not when the charm is activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Summoners who rely on Reactions usually get ridiculous modifiers, Spirit Empathy, and Diplomancy, IME. It isn't hard to get consistently good reactions from say fire elementals if you have a Talent, a Reputation, immolate something as part of the ritual, and are asking them to burn stuff anyway.
That makes sense for a character based heavily on summoning and dealing with spirits, like a shaman or something, but I imagine a lot of RPM casters who just want the occasional summoned ally would be better served putting points into their magic abilities and just controlling whatever they conjure.
Jefepato is offline   Reply With Quote