Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Ogre ramming

Oh, right, thanks, I didn't get what you meant by "restricted to shifts".
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
hcobb

And here's my wording change:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Combat
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
Skarg

I'd prefer the method used by the Pike rules, where figures moving through the reach of a hand weapon can be attacked during the Movement Phase. I think that also works better for large figures that deny engagement by smaller figures, and for house rules about normal figures choosing to ignore engagement.

But, this is getting into House Rules, so should be in that subforum, not here in the main forum.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
hcobb

As the wording in the new edition doesn't seem to match to how anybody actually plays the game it ought to count as errata.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #15
Axly Suregrip

The push is the only reason a Ogre or Giant is a threat. Without it, the Giant is just a big soft target without armor and more often misses than hits. With the push now you have a terrifying threat for you low DX guys. It will push them over and gain a +4 DX striking at the fall champions.

That is, the push rule as it is makes really big creatures (larger than 1 hex) terrifying. Something that big should be terrifying.

You do have a good point that the spears should have connected before the push. Still I not changing the rules for this.

And I still disagree that a push counts as movement for setting against a charge.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #16
hcobb

So the best way for a dragon to attack is to back over the humans, tail lashing any that make the push back DX roll then stomping on the fallen?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #17
Skarg

Sometimes. I played some aerial combat recently with dragons and gargoyles, and in that case yes, the dragon got a lot of use out of knocking gargoyles out of the air by pushing into them.

Against ground figures, it depends on the full situation. Often staying flying and breathing fire down from out of reach is good especially for 7+ hex dragons, and/or flying and dodging until they win initiative and can use their flying MA to get into a good position, take out the mages and archers first, etc.

Pushing can be useful but has a big disadvantage that can make it backfire if the victims have good DX, because they get a 3/DX chance to get a free hex of movement instead of falling, which in many cases would let them shift from a Front hex to a Side hex, which sucks for the larger figure. Also, even if they fall, they get another 3/DX roll to roll out from under, moving a hex and standing up, which can also suck for the larger figure. So the larger figure really needs to think about the map position and what the odds are like.