Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #51
Tom H.

Default Re: Roleplaying experiences without a GM in Car Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
No kidding...that would be pretty insane! Imagine if psychic warfare was a thing...

Upon taking the Psionics skill...If you are at least 4 inches away from target, as an action roll two dice. Your target number is 11. If you roll 11 or higher you can take control of target for one turn. Every +1 in this skill will add +1 to this check and 1/2" of range... :D Just of the top of my head of course, but imagine the possibilities! If the target also has Psionics, they could try as a free action try and resist the mental intrusion by performing the same check. For every +1 the target has in this skill, add +1 to this check. If the target succeeds, this effect is negated but the action is still used!
Uh, oh . . . watch out Kromm!, this upstart is coming for your role. ;-)

Last edited by Tom H.; 01-30-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Added link
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #52
Tom H.

Quote:
psychical copies
Yes, for an introductory pledge of just $5.00, I will let you remotely view my latest mental, fortress-town map.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:00 AM   #53
Blue Ghost

Quote:
No kidding...that would be pretty insane! Imagine if psychic warfare was a thing...

Upon taking the Psionics skill...If you are at least 4 inches away from target, as an action roll two dice. Your target number is 11. If you roll 11 or higher you can take control of target for one turn. Every +1 in this skill will add +1 to this check and 1/2" of range... :D Just of the top of my head of course, but imagine the possibilities! If the target also has Psionics, they could try as a free action try and resist the mental intrusion by performing the same check. For every +1 the target has in this skill, add +1 to this check. If the target succeeds, this effect is negated but the action is still used!

Control a driver that's going fast and crash him full force into a wall! Control a gunner that has a hand weapon and have him fire it at the driver or him/her self!

Maybe a little broken, but that sounds awesome nonetheless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
The word you are referencing was a typographical error, but there were superpowers in Autoduel Champions and in the short story "Alkahest: The Deathtoll Solution" in ADQ 3/3. Psionics might have been included.

As I wrote on Twitter a few days ago, I missed seeing DriveThruRPG started offering Autoduel Champions in October 2018. In physical or electronic form, Autoduel Champions is worth owning to see the first appearances of helicopters and weapons like the VMG in Car Wars.

DriveThruRPG - Autoduel Champions (2nd Edition)
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ns-2nd-Edition
I guess my humor needs a little work.

I actually have an original copy of Autoduel-Champions. You know … even though my namesake for this forum is within those pages, I have some minor issues with trying to include "supers" in CW, or vice versa. I mean, I'm not against it or anything, and think it's kind of clever, but it did seem a touch gimmicky to me.

I think the only reason I bought a copy was because both cyberlink and Vulcan machinegun were in it. The grasshopper I was okay with, and helicopters I think needed something.

But for all that, I never dueled with a superhero in the arena. That month Pacificon happened at the Dumfey Hotel in San Mateo, and some guy with three heavy duty FOJs on his truck, got riddled with fire by every car in the starting section when he turned those babies on. Too bad for him. I guess he could have used a force shield from Champions.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:47 AM   #54
swordtart

There have also been rules for "magic" in car wars (Space Gamer magazine IIRC).

Whilst you may think this goes over the top, recall the adage that advanced technology in a low technology environment might look like "magic". You can look down either end of that particular telescope.

There have also been rules for cybernetics (ADQ), which probably fits better with the availability of incongruously high technology elements of CW (Lasers, computer gunners etc.). Many of the "super" powers could be re-cast as cybernetic variants. The game mechnics are probably serviceable even if you change the fluff text to bend it back to a more gritty CW theme.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #55
juris

If Gold Cross exists you should be able to buy a clone gunner +2. Doesn't need to be a fully 'copy' of a person... The roleplaying part is when your clone gunner demands a salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

Whilst you may think this goes over the top, recall the adage that advanced technology in a low technology environment might look like "magic". You can look down either end of that particular telescope.

juris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #56
owenmp

swordtart,

You were correct Magic in Car Wars rules were first printed in issues of The Space Gamer Vol. 1. The spells and items from those issues were collected and reprinted in ADQ 6/2.

Magic in Car Wars
Author: Steve Jackson
Source: The Space Gamer Vol. 1, No. 51
Date: May 1982

Magic in Car Wars Contest Results
Authors: Various
Source: The Space Gamer Vol. 1, No. 55
Date: September 1982

Magic Items in Car Wars Contest Results
Source: The Space Gamer Vol. 1, No. 60
Date: January 1983

Magic in Car Wars
Source: Autoduel Quarterly Vol. 6, No. 2
Date: Summer 2038 (1988)

The Magic in Car Wars rules are fun to use in the Morgoth Memorial Arena in Car Wars Arena Book 1988 Edition.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #57
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
swordtart,

The Magic in Car Wars rules are fun to use in the Morgoth Memorial Arena in Car Wars Arena Book 1988 Edition.
And with the "Blades" subsection of the Hand Weapons section of _UACFH_: One can use _CW_ rules for sword-and-sorcery gaming....

(Do Not Ask Me How I Know This. :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #58
industrialchild

Car Wars is amazing! I'll apologize in advance as this is a little off topic, but I'm hoping this current Pocket Box: Games of the Eighties Kickstarter of SJG goes a long way to introduce some new players to these awesome games.

I mean, I just got into Ogre two years ago and I've been into Car Wars a little over a month. Learning these games, especially the recent delve headfirst into Car Wars has been extremely rewarding and these are games that reward one for time investment. They seem to grow with you and I already know that my interest in these two games in particular is a little more than a casual interest.

I truly hope many other new players come on board to this Kickstarter and experience the immense joy that these classic games bring me on a daily basis even when I'm not playing them. I don't think there are many games like these in my collection that I think about constantly and are this deep and rife with so many possibilities! These games are truly something unique and special!
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #59
Tom H.

Quote:
I don't think there are many games like these in my collection that I think about constantly and are this deep and rife with so many possibilities!
Yes, I really like elegant games that immerse you into their setting with potential to add depth and creativity.

There's been some scorn lately for "complex" games in a rush to appease an apparent fickle and impatient market.

Certainly games can become too complex and esoteric to appeal to large audiences.

But much has been learned in game design since the '70s and '80s to create intense games that are less tedious through the use of more elegant mechanics and presentation.

I really advocate for a return to a medium level of complexity (with smart mechanics) that is necessary to sustain a game system that has depth and staying power.

This type of game will have expansions, and it is important to delineate them from the "basic" game so that newcomers don't feel overwhelmed.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #60
Blue Ghost

One of my observations at the last few gaming conventions is that there's still a robust interest for complex games like Car Wars, Star Fleet Battles, Champions / HERO.

I think Car Wars has survived because it is a good game, pure and simple. Like a NEXUS interview that I recall, when someone cuts you off on the road that little evil notion of "Boy, if I only had a pair of MGs mounted on this baby..." (I'm paraphrasing here) And CW lets us live out those fantasies without being tooi serious nor too tongue in cheek.

I want to stay on CW topic, the last two Kublacon conventions Magesmiley's arena games drew a few grognards who remembered the game. I hope this year he can get a table that's a little more front and center.

Last year at Dundracon CW was tucked way in the back with an off road tournament. I orbited the table, and most of the players were either teenagers or post-teen college type. But in all the photos I see uploaded here it's mostly guys from their early twenties to their 60s. So, something's happening here, and CW, whether it has rules for magic (or that ever so hilarious Space Gamer quiz) or UACFH, to me, is a fine game as is. And I'm puzzled why it hasn't exploded more on the gaming scene … seen a resurgence as is.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote