Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Pyramid #3/118: Dungeon Trips

Two fantastic tomes
Combined with care and wisdom
To yield true power
— Mars Seventh, Wizard
Pyramid readers are well aware of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, a fantasy roleplaying game that grew out of GURPS. But GURPS itself could be said to have its origins in another FRPG: The Fantasy Trip, which is currently making a comeback via Kickstarter. And Pyramid #3/118: Dungeon Trips supports both!
The Shield-Bearer
By Sean Punch
Just as the best defense is a good offense, the best offense is sometimes a good defense. If the shield rather than the sword symbolizes the fantasy warrior for you, you'll love the shield-bearer. This new Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game profession is all about using a trusty shield not only to block slings and arrows, jaws that bite and claws that catch, and so on, but also to put the hurt on enemies using bashes, rushes, and even hurled shield attacks. To add, um, more injury to injury, take advantage of the included rules for spiked and bladed shields.

It's an Encounter!
By Christopher R. Rice
Developing interesting encounters can tax the GM's resources, demanding free time between game sessions or a spare moment to come up with something in play. This article provides a series of tables that let you randomly generate all manner of events and occurrences – and not just "It's a monster!" or "Ninjas attack!" A creepy abandoned village or a suspiciously silent grove of lush trees can be just as intriguing, as can a traveling merchant selling exactly what the adventurers need. Though designed for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, this system is useful for The Fantasy Trip (or any FRPG) with only minimal adaptation.

Eidetic Memory: Istvan's Hole
By David Pulver
This full-on adventure for both the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game and The Fantasy Trip sends the heroes into an abandoned (okay, "abandoned") mine on a quest for gems . . . and the truth. It offers new monsters for both systems, a full-page map, and enough shadowy evil to intrigue even the one delver in a hundred who fights for Good rather than gold.

The 60-Minute Heroes
By Steven Marsh
An adventure doesn't need to be long to be fun. That's true for not only page count (this scenario fills just four pages) but also the duration of the quest. As its title suggests, this The Fantasy Trip adventure challenges the heroes to deal with a literal ticking time bomb! Can they complete their mission and find the treasure before everything goes BOOM? As an added bonus, this article includes both a full map for the GM and two player maps the GM can hand out as clues . . . or as bait.

As is his custom, editor Steven Marsh both opens and closes the festivities. This month, his Random Thought Table looks at tricks and techniques from video games that are equally useful at your gaming table.
Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2718
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2718_preview.pdf
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Pyramid #3/118: Dungeon Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The Shield-Bearer
By Sean Punch
Just as the best defense is a good offense, the best offense is sometimes a good defense. If the shield rather than the sword symbolizes the fantasy warrior for you, you'll love the shield-bearer. This new Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game profession is all about using a trusty shield not only to block slings and arrows, jaws that bite and claws that catch, and so on, but also to put the hurt on enemies using bashes, rushes, and even hurled shield attacks. To add, um, more injury to injury, take advantage of the included rules for spiked and bladed shields.
Downloading RIGHT NOW to look at this one. Having written more than a little on shields, I'm intensely curious.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Bruno

I particularly like Istivan's Hole, but this whole issue made for great reading on the plane (There's a lot of potential usage in It's an Encounter!).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Every article in this issue has something useful to me!

Even the Template (which, honestly, most Templates aren't of us to me) has new Perks that are going to see use!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote