Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Undead Kung Fu Machine

I'm working on a campaign with undead and kung fu set in China (period is is progress). The campaign will have cinematic martial arts, though the characters will not be swimming in points (max points will be 150 though I havn't decided on a level yet). The back story is that one of the early emporers of China, who responcible for unifying the country, built a machine that transforms people into undead warriors (like the terracotta warriors) shortly before his death (meaning he could not make terribly many). Some farmers in the now isolated province have awoken the old emporer from his sleep and now people in the area are diappearing.

I'm reading through GURPS China to get a period for it to be set in, though I'll probalby do additional research. Any resources people have would be appreciated.

The things I need to work out for the campaign are how the infernal machine works, and templates for the undead soldiers. The machine works by turing people (and other creatures) into undead soldiers (the disapearing famrers are people being turned into soldiers). Putting other creatures in produced zombie versions of the animal (ussally used for horses. The soldiers are uniform in their stats, irrigardless of who they once were. I want the soldiers to be a challenge for the heroes, though mainly due to their ability to withstand damage rather that through fighting skill, although they still need to be a threat. THe machine can also turn indeviduals into immortal servants who retain their human knowledge and form (though look creepy), though this takes longer and prevents the machine from making normal soldiers. The machine should be able to mass produce an army quickly, and I'm trying to work out what would be a good and logical processing time. Any other ideas are welcome.

Also ideas about martial arts styles would help.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
RapGangsta_G

Default Re: Undead Kung Fu Machine

Nothern Longfist is as far as i recall a style founded by a imperial general, at least acording to its own origin mythos.

The thing is no style teached to day will be the same that used by an acient xia but i think seen to the sheer size of china you have an perfect excuse for bringing in any traditional chinese style.

You may also want to go for alchemy seen to the fact that 秦始皇 , however you pronouce, that took grate interest in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
What is this thing and how does it relate to GURPS?
RapGangsta_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Undead Kung Fu Machine

There aren't really any surviving styles from Way Back When in China. You're generally better off picking modern style that claim extremely ancient origins and just assuming they are correct. Add a few customized variations, and you're golden.

GURPS Martial Arts does have a bit of discussion about this - check the section discussion the Xia. It's better to emulate the movies about ancient China and not ancient China. That makes it much easier to research and much more accessible to modern players.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote