Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Mack_JB

Default Telegraphing results

Not sure if this is a thing, or if I'm reading the images wrong.

My Mk. III sits there after its attack phase, I hover the cursor, so the after-action stats for the Ogre show what's left.

The attackers now move -- before they fire, but after they have moved, if I hover my cursor over the Ogre still -- the results of the forthcoming attacks are already shown there -- i.e., my tread count has already gone down by the amount the attackers will shortly die roll and win.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Telegraphing results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Not sure if this is a thing, or if I'm reading the images wrong.

My Mk. III sits there after its attack phase, I hover the cursor, so the after-action stats for the Ogre show what's left.

The attackers now move -- before they fire, but after they have moved, if I hover my cursor over the Ogre still -- the results of the forthcoming attacks are already shown there -- i.e., my tread count has already gone down by the amount the attackers will shortly die roll and win.
Is it the tread count, or the movement? One thing I noticed is they track component usage dynamically in the Ogre details. For example, on your Mark III, you have not fired your MB yet. If you view your Ogre details, it will show a MB with a count of 1. After you fire it, it will now show a count of 0. It's not destroyed, just used up so you can tell you don't have it available for the rest of the turn. Is it similar to that, or is it actually showing attack resolution results?

One way to validate that is use the expanded combat log after the combat is complete to count how many treads are actually lost and compare it to the number you are seeing in your details before the attack.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Mack_JB

Yep, just tried again with myself as a Mk. V attacking. If you hover after your attack phase, it shows what you have left, and that remains the same up until the PE forces end their movement phase. Then your stats suddenly drop to reflect what the PE attacks will have accomplished before they are actually made on you. This shows what weapons or treads you are about to lose, not as they are lost. Watching the dice rolls is then pointless.

Also, the final attack on the Ogre, the stats read-out that says what tank inflicted what amount of damage never appears on my machine.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Yep, just tried again with myself as a Mk. V attacking. If you hover after your attack phase, it shows what you have left, and that remains the same up until the PE forces end their movement phase. Then your stats suddenly drop to reflect what the PE attacks will have accomplished before they are actually made on you. This shows what weapons or treads you are about to lose, not as they are lost. Watching the dice rolls is then pointless.

Also, the final attack on the Ogre, the stats read-out that says what tank inflicted what amount of damage never appears on my machine.
Very interesting. How does it behave if you turn off the die roll animation? Does it completely skip and just show the end result? It sounds like it is looking at the current attack, then does all the legwork, then displays the attacks as a courtesy to the player.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Very interesting. How does it behave if you turn off the die roll animation? Does it completely skip and just show the end result? It sounds like it is looking at the current attack, then does all the legwork, then displays the attacks as a courtesy to the player.
This might relate to how the asynchronous multiplayer works, too.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Turning off the die roll animation shows the same effect of the stats dropping before the attacks -- so I'd say the 'telegraphing' is the result of the program playing the results, then showing you as an animation after the fact.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Turning off the die roll animation shows the same effect of the stats dropping before the attacks -- so I'd say the 'telegraphing' is the result of the program playing the results, then showing you as an animation after the fact.
That's really the only order in which things can happen.

The part that's a bit odd is that it updates the displayed information before playing the animation.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That's really the only order in which things can happen.

The part that's a bit odd is that it updates the displayed information before playing the animation.
Is that how you're seeing things at the moment? That shouldn't be the case.

It will probably depend on which units you're attacking with though, as for example, the missile animation is shorter than most other attack animations. You shouldn't see the log update before an attack however.

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Mack_JB

As I noted above, if I hover my cursor over my Ogre after the PE movement phase, but just before their attack phase, the end results of the attacks already show up in the Ogre stats (treads I will lose, weapons I will lose, etc.). I can see why it's done for animation sake, and it does tend to let you start thinking ahead on your next moves ...
Old 10-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I just had the announcement that I had destroyed the broadcast center (and therefore can get my Ogre) before the building was destroyed (in a GEV overrun so it was foregone regardless).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-18-2017 at 02:50 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote