Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Steel Lemming

Default Tedious Treads

I'd like to see some improvements on how treads are targeted.

An annoyance with targeting treads is that if I commit shots to the tread attack they are used up even if the treads are destroyed by earlier rolls.

Example: an Ogre I need to stop has 25 tread left and I have 57 points of firepower to do it. There is already A LOT of clicking in this game, so just target it all at the treads and let the rolling begin. If I get lucky, I kill the treads off and sometimes watch a bunch of attacks continue to go after the now none existent treads.

Tread attacks are always going to be 1:1. I shouldn't have break the attacks down to small batches to prevent overkill. Once the treads are done for the remain rolls should be freed back up to use elsewhere.

I’d rather not have to micromanage tread attacks. If my primary goal is to immobilize and Ogre, I’d like to be able to just have everything attack the treads until they are destroyed and then have the option to do something else (eg target AP) with leftover firepower. Currently, I’ve found that I need to keep the attacks small enough that I won’t overkill the treads and waste firepower making for many extra clicks and a slower game.

Last edited by Steel Lemming; 10-16-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Steel Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
offsides

Default Re: Tedious Treads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Lemming View Post
I like to see some improvements on how treads are targeted.

An annoyance with targeting treads is that if I commit shots to the tread attack they are used up even if the treads are destroyed by earlier rolls.

Example: an Ogre I need to stop has 25 tread left and I have 57 points of firepower to do it. There is already A LOT of clicking in this game, so just target it all at the treads and let the rolling begin. If I get lucky, I kill the treads off and sometimes watch a bunch of attacks continue to go after the now none existent treads.

Tread attacks are always going to be 1:1. I shouldn't have break the attacks down to small batches to prevent overkill. Once the treads are done for the remain rolls should be freed back up to use elsewhere.

I’d rather not have to micromanage tread attacks. If my primary goal is to immobilize and Ogre, I’d like to be able to just have everything attack the treads until they are destroyed and then have the option to do something else (eg target AP) with leftover firepower. Currently, I’ve found that I need to keep the attacks small enough that I won’t overkill the treads and waste firepower making for many extra clicks and a slower game.
Wait - you can batch attack treads with individual rolls? I've been hitting them one unit at a time. I really need to read the docs a bit better :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Lemming View Post
I'd like to see some improvements on how treads are targeted.

That's not true. The game will stop firing at treads if there are none left during the normal fire phase; I do it all the time. The only time I break it up is when I'm trying to to waste shots (eg, there's only two treads left, I'll make sure I fire with units that have only A2 instead of wasting an A4 shot from a HVY). What version are you running?

Where I see this might still be an issue, however, is during overruns. It looks like the mechanism doesn't work the same way in overruns.

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 10-16-2017 at 09:35 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Wait - you can batch attack treads with individual rolls? I've been hitting them one unit at a time. I really need to read the docs a bit better :)
What docs? :-)

Yeah, I stumbled across this by accident. It's really handy. I have a screenshot of it in action
Old 10-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
What docs? :-)
Details, details :)

Seriously, this is useful to know. Hey Jake - maybe you can put together a FAQ with things like this pending an actual documentation release?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It says this in-game. Whenever you target treads the text in the firing dialog box says the game always takes all tread attacks as individual attacks.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It says this in-game. Whenever you target treads the text in the firing dialog box says the game always takes all tread attacks as individual attacks.
That accurate text being one of the things added since release.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That accurate text being one of the things added since release.
Weird, I remember it saying that in the Beta too.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Weird, I remember it saying that in the Beta too.
I can't speak for beta, but at release the text described a massed attack on treads as if it was a single attack at the aggregate value...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
offsides

Quote:
I would suggest that for someone who isn't a long-time Ogre player, this might immediately make sense. But for someone who's played a long time, the implication to me is that you can only attack treads with one unit at a time. I'll email Auroch with a suggestion that they clarify the statement to make it clear that you can select multiple attackers and it will roll them all in series...