Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
A Ladder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default [DF] A party's Ally?

My players typically hire a healer when adventuring (as they typically don't play Clerics). This campaign they have really enjoyed their pseudo-Druid hireling and wanted to purchase him as an Ally, but as a group.

Is there a rule of thumb for the entire party paying character points to get one joint ally?

I effectively just figured out the point cost as per an ally and then divided the CP cost among the players. Is that the best way to go about it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
Congrats! You win the no-prize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
My players typically hire a healer when adventuring (as they typically don't play Clerics). This campaign they have really enjoyed their pseudo-Druid hireling and wanted to purchase him as an Ally, but as a group.

Is there a rule of thumb for the entire party paying character points to get one joint ally?

I effectively just figured out the point cost as per an ally and then divided the CP cost among the players. Is that the best way to go about it?
If there is a single activation roll then you divide (and round up) the cost of the ally among the total number of people he's an ally to. If every person can make a separate activation roll to bring him in then you pay the cost normally.

I just did this with my newly started team for my supers campaign. The PCs wanted a fairly large team (6 people plus themselves) and I treated it the first way. Works good so far.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Kromm suggested a similar approach to group fusion. like Voltron where each PC can merge into a composite form (using AF).
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
A Ladder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
That seems reasonable to me - it wouldn't make sense to change the overall CP cost of the ally as the overall value to the party should be pretty much the same, the only difference between this and one player buying the ally is that in the event of inter-party conflict it is uncertain who the druid will side with.
That's what disads are for ;). I figure the one who is the most nature-loving at the time of conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If there is a single activation roll then you divide (and round up) the cost of the ally among the total number of people he's an ally to. If every person can make a separate activation roll to bring him in then you pay the cost normally.

I just did this with my newly started team for my supers campaign. The PCs wanted a fairly large team (6 people plus themselves) and I treated it the first way. Works good so far.
How would that work for constantly available then?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
Congrats! You win the no-prize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
How would that work for constantly available then?
Assuming the GM allows it (it's usually only suitable for implanted computers, swords, vehicles, etc.). Costs are normal. So if an ally is worth 50% of your points and appears all the time for 4 PCs the cost is 2 (base cost) x 4 (frequency of appearance) = 8 / 4 (total number of PCs) = 2 points per PC. In my current campaign, the Aeon B-Team bought a secretary as a shared ally at 1 point per PC. Considering she does all the paperwork and requistion orders - that's a bargin.

Also, while it's not RAW - I use the average point total of the PCs to determine the point value of the ally. I also treat the drawbacks of allies (e.g., hurt them and you get no points for the session) equally among all those who bought it. So if you send your ally into the dangerous cave filled with dragons and stay outside you might lose character points. If none of the other PCs object they are likely to lose points too.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
A Ladder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Assuming the GM allows it (it's usually only suitable for implanted computers, swords, vehicles, etc.). Costs are normal. So if an ally is worth 50% of your points and appears all the time for 4 PCs the cost is 2 (base cost) x 4 (frequency of appearance) = 8 / 4 (total number of PCs) = 2 points per PC. In my current campaign, the Aeon B-Team bought a secretary as a shared ally at 1 point per PC. Considering she does all the paperwork and requistion orders - that's a bargin.

Also, while it's not RAW - I use the average point total of the PCs to determine the point value of the ally. I also treat the drawbacks of allies (e.g., hurt them and you get no points for the session) equally among all those who bought it. So if you send your ally into the dangerous cave filled with dragons and stay outside you might lose character points. If none of the other PCs object they are likely to lose points too.
OK that's what I did.

Hrmmm....leaving the Ally to die in a cave? My players have totally done that to hired help in the past. But I think they're more attached to this guy than anyone else in the past.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
Congrats! You win the no-prize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Kalzazz
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

I think it depends on the ally, I mean, if you get as an Ally 'Bobil, the Halfling Burglar' expecting them to go check out a dragon cave is their reason to exist! If Bobil gets eaten doing that, very sad, but I won't dock the CP.

But if you were 'Bobil, form the front line as we tussle with these orks' . . . not so good. If an work chops his head off, you lose the CP, what were you doing fools putting your Burglar in the front line?

If your ally is Sandy the Shieldmaiden, she might do great in front line vs orks, and is a welland good thing for her to do, but solo scouting dragon caves not so much

As a note, I now totally can see Bilbo and Gandalf as party Allies for Thorin and friends
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If there is a single activation roll then you divide (and round up) the cost of the ally among the total number of people he's an ally to.
I've done this a few times. It seems to work just fine.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
OK that's what I did.

Hrmmm....leaving the Ally to die in a cave? My players have totally done that to hired help in the past. But I think they're more attached to this guy than anyone else in the past.
Well those are HIRELINGS. Paid with cash, not with points. If they *can* say "You go in the Cave of Death first" that's a +50% modifier (Minion).
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: [DF] A party's Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I've done this a few times. It seems to work just fine.
It works great for troupe play too. Since the allies gain points at the rate of the PCs. If you lose a PC an ally takes over and you're good to go.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.