Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Shostak

Default What Makes a Great Magic System?

It would be nice to read what you folks have found are the elements which make a magic system a joy to use for both GMs and players. For me, the extreme variety offered by GURPS Thaumatology is compelling, and even GURPS Magic 4e by itself seems wonderful. They are adaptable to any setting I've been able to imagine, and any of the spells thought to be unbalanced can simply be made unavailable by a discriminating GM. But, I don't have a particularly wide range of experience with systems (AD&D, and the GURPS precursor of sorts, TFT, decades ago) to compare.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: What Makes a Great Magic System?

My favorite of the GURPS magic systems is actually Path and Book magic. I'm using it in my current fantasy campaign. It goes well with the idea that magic is a process of negotiation with the spirits that inhabit an area.

I ran a campaign in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, using the rules for making up spells as the basis for a set of rules for improvising spells. It did really well at inventing magical effects on the spot, and quite captured the feel of the source.

I ran a campaign of Mage: The Ascension, and found True Magick to be a brilliant system for improvised magic, one that gave the sense that mages were borderline superhumans.

I've always wanted to try out the rather academic system in Ars Magica, but I've never had any luck talking players into signing up.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
My favorite of the GURPS magic systems is actually Path and Book magic. I'm using it in my current fantasy campaign. It goes well with the idea that magic is a process of negotiation with the spirits that inhabit an area.
Path and Book magic fascinates me. I loved the ancestral system enough to buy Spirits back in 3E days, and I was glad to see the style survive into 4E.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Ability to be applied intelligently, logically, and innovatively. This probably, but not necessarily, encourages picking MtA-like or Realm Magic-like systems, as they're very flexible. And being flexible encourages intelligent and innovative applications of your ability, and usually requires doing logical extrapolations. It's the sort of magic where being able to separate H20 into 2H2 and O2 can be used both for creating a large boom as a diversion, and for breathing underwater, as long as one analyzes the risks of both.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
The Colonel

Expectations are going to play a part as well - players that expect wizards to shoot fireballs out of their fingers and generally act as self-propelled artillery are going to be narked by a system which requires hours of ritual to do anything. On the flip side, a wainscot fantasy campaign with flashy magic leaves everyone suspending their disbelief with a block and tackle.

Some people are going to enjoy a deep, complicated system with flavour, others just want to blow (stuff) up.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
robertsconley

The magic system in the Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG is brilliant in how it makes magic dangerous and unpredictable to the practitioner. It achieves this by using a handful of charts. Only downside is that every spell has it own chart of results. But from playing it and hearing others play it, it doses this better than any other RPG out there.

I consider GURPS Magic is one of the most comprehensive and ready to run magic system out there.

Ars Magica is excellent at integrating magic into playing the life a mage character. The main downside is that while they provide ready made spells to use, it is nothing like GURPS Magic in terms of ready to run out of the box.

The same for GURPS Ritual Path Magic, good system but not a lot of ready made spells for the time-pressed.

Hero System and Fantasy Hero is the best for making novel magic system that have full set of mechanics that interacts well with the rest of the system. It is the most flexible system for magic out there. The downside it feels a lot like homework.

Classic D&D with it's vancian magic system is very easily grasped by the by the beginner. D&D 5e modifications to the basic ideas addresses a lot of the complaints about it. D&D 3.X version has list upon lists of spells to choose from and it is one of the few systems that exceeds the variety of GURPS Magic. So much that by choosing a selected subset of allowed spells you can alter the feel of magic for a campaign.

I personally was able to make several different system of magic out of classic D&D for my Majestic Wilderlands that felt very different from each other despite leaving the spells themselves untouched. Mostly by changing how spells are casted and memorized.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak
It would be nice to read what you folks have found are the elements which make a magic system a joy to use for both GMs and players. For me, the extreme variety offered by GURPS Thaumatology is compelling, and even GURPS Magic 4e by itself seems wonderful. They are adaptable to any setting I've been able to imagine, and any of the spells thought to be unbalanced can simply be made unavailable by a discriminating GM. But, I don't have a particularly wide range of experience with systems (AD&D, and the GURPS precursor of sorts, TFT, decades ago) to compare.
The magic system for The Fantasy Trip [TFT] had three elements that I would think make a magic system a joy to use. The first is that it was playtested to remove ambiguities from the write-up of the individual spells. Can you cast an illusion on the other side of a locked door and then use it to tell what's on the other side? No, and that's not something the GM has to think about, it was baked into the spell description. As Steve Jackson said in an article, you know you've got a good system when it can be played solitaire.

Second, the spells available should let a wizard be tricky. Steve Jackson's classic example was Image/Illusion/Create. If a Warrior steps out of a hex of Darkness, the subject doesn't know if he's dealing with an image, an illusion or a creation. Disbelief was a maneuver that you had to declare in TFT and it was only effective against illusions, not images or creations. An image would dissipate if attacked but then you couldn't claim disbelief and a creation was like a character, it went away when it ran out of hit points and not before. The subject had an interesting set of choices and unless he knew more than a little about the spell-casting psychology of the particular wizard, not much choice but pick one and hope for the best.

The third effect was that the interactions of stacking one spell effect on another had been considered in playtesting as well.

One thing about the GURPS spells as powers system is that, like Fantasy Hero, you can build any spell but it sometimes seems like more bother than it's worth. Another thing that applies more to Fantasy Hero than GURPS was that analysing what effects were appropriate to a spell of a particular type was a bigger pain in the rump than it was in GURPS 3e as you had to decide that a fireball should have an energy blast effect linked to darkness for the accompanying smoke and maybe a flash effect for singed eyelashes temporarily blinding you.

A good thing about GURPS 3e Magic as skills was that it had a good set of rules for creating magic items, and improvising magic grafted onto the spells as skills system quite nicely, which gave you a framework that allowed considerable versatility.

One element I don't like is the chart heavy, overly particular style of Rolemaster's Spell Law. Magic, both in folklore and literature doesn't require separate spells for healing bones, bleeding, and tissue, so I don't expect it in a role-playing magic system.

I'm not recommending a system as such but those are key elements I'd look for.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Things I should be able to do with magic:

- Throw a ball of flaming HP reduction at my enemies. One combat turn.

- Throw non-fire projectiles of HP reduction at my enemies. One combat turn.

- Put enemies to sleep without wounding them. One combat turn or maybe two, but that's really pushing its utility down.

- Heal wounds. One combat turn.

- Teleport myself (and in group games, the party) in a manner that skips the boring wilderness travel from Dungeon to Town so we can go back to Town and sell loot and rest up for the next adventure.

- Teleport myself (and in group games, the party) from where we are in the dungeon back to the surface in an emergency situation, even if it means leaving a bunch of loot behind.

- Teleport myself (and in group games, the party) from the dungeon's entrance to the deepest area we've been to so we don't have to wade through mountains of kobolds every time we want to slay a dragon.

It should work like this:

I declare the spell I want to cast and the subject. I pay an energy cost from a pre-determined pool (MP, ER, FP, whatever you want to call it). Optionally roll for skill/success/failure. Spell takes its effects as stated in the book; if this derails "plot", then "plot" was dumb and it's a good thing we skipped it.

TFT is missing healing because spells are cast from a pool that bleeds into Hit Points. GURPS DF is missing the teleportation variants. Most of my favorite videogames with any sort of magic in them contained the majority of these effects.

And yeah, I'm being at least partly tongue-in-cheek. I just really prefer systems that let me do these things on this timescale without hassle.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:51 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Ability to be applied intelligently, logically, and innovatively. This probably, but not necessarily, encourages picking MtA-like or Realm Magic-like systems, as they're very flexible. And being flexible encourages intelligent and innovative applications of your ability, and usually requires doing logical extrapolations. It's the sort of magic where being able to separate H20 into 2H2 and O2 can be used both for creating a large boom as a diversion, and for breathing underwater, as long as one analyzes the risks of both.
I don't agree with this. First of all, it tends to make the mage master-of-all-situations, and so there's no need to have a party. Secondly, I think that it's the restrictions more than the flexibility of the system that channel intelligence and innovations. And your example points to this - a restricted ability (being able to split water) is used for two very different applications. In a very flexible system you can just improvise "Create Explosion" and "Breathe Underwater" spells.

But that's just me.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
Michael Cule

What I want is something that allows me to build new spells from first principles and is so detailed and supported that I don't have to very often.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, magic, system