Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Forr

Default Partial Injuries in MA

I would appreciate some clarifications regarding p.MA136, Partial Injuries:

If a fighter with 12 HP is wounded twice in his arm, once for 2 HP and once for 5 HP, does he suffer the effect of the 5 HP injury only, or are the HP losses totaled to the effect of a 7 HP injury? In short, do I keep track of the biggest injury each body part has suffered, or the total injury suffered by that part?

I'm guessing it's the former, but then there's no reason for the table to have "Injury over HP/2: Cripples <limb>", since the crippling occurs at the moment of the injury and not after 2 * HT seconds.

Also, do the DX and Move penalties resulting from injuries to different body parts stack? I would imagine they did, but the leg and torso entries say "Move is n% normal," which leaves room for interpretation.
Forr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Pagan

Default Re: Partial Injuries in MA

Damage is cummulative for purposes of partial or crippling injury.

DX and Move pemalties do indeed stack.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
seasong

p. B420, Crippling Injury, "This requires a single injury that exceeds a certain fraction of the target's HP."

Same page, under the optional rules section Accumulated Wounds, changes that to total damage, rather than damage in a single injury. But it's very optional, because it requires tracking damage per location!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forr View Post
I would appreciate some clarifications regarding p.MA136, Partial Injuries:

If a fighter with 12 HP is wounded twice in his arm, once for 2 HP and once for 5 HP, does he suffer the effect of the 5 HP injury only, or are the HP losses totaled to the effect of a 7 HP injury? In short, do I keep track of the biggest injury each body part has suffered, or the total injury suffered by that part?
If you're using the Partial Injuries rules, you're also assumed to be using the Accumulated Injuries rules, since you are by definition keeping track of individual damage per location.

If you choose to use Partial Injuries without Accumulated Injuries you'll end up with some funky results.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Forr

Thanks for the responses. It would have helped if the MA page included a reference to the Accumulated Wounds option rule... I'd better put a note in.

But that raises another question. When do I start counting the 2*HT seconds after which the injury effects kick in? Does the timer "reset" each time I receive a new wound in that body part, or is there another reference point?

I hope I don't have to keep track of every single hit to each body part and apply the effects in a progressive manner delayed by 2*HT seconds.
Forr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forr View Post
Thanks for the responses. It would have helped if the MA page included a reference to the Accumulated Wounds option rule... I'd better put a note in.

But that raises another question. When do I start counting the 2*HT seconds after which the injury effects kick in? Does the timer "reset" each time I receive a new wound in that body part, or is there another reference point?

I hope I don't have to keep track of every single hit to each body part and apply the effects in a progressive manner delayed by 2*HT seconds.
Well now, that's really up to how involved you want to get, you set the setting dial at your accounting comfort zone and how generous as a GM you feel like being.

You could certainly choose to say that the adrenaline surge from getting him again resets the timer to the last injury, though damage is cumulative with the first on the generous end, or that the timer isn't reset and damage is cumulative on the stingy end.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote