Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Bathawk

Default Density increase in GURPS?

Just a little surprised that as near as I can tell, no form of density increase is available in 4th edition

for instance...is knockback resistance of some type something that's "buyable"?

should increased weight be considered a feature like size modifier? (niether positive or negative) what about if it's switchable?

how do you create the 3rd edition "density increase" power? increasing DR, weight, but also possibly harming the target as it collapses under it's own weight?
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
vitruvian

Default Re: Density increase in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk
Just a little surprised that as near as I can tell, no form of density increase is available in 4th edition

for instance...is knockback resistance of some type something that's "buyable"?

should increased weight be considered a feature like size modifier? (niether positive or negative) what about if it's switchable?

how do you create the 3rd edition "density increase" power? increasing DR, weight, but also possibly harming the target as it collapses under it's own weight?
Well, there's beneficial density increase, which usually increases your strength as well, and density increase used as an attack.

For the former, since knockback is actually resisted by ST, I'd simply make it Extra ST (including HP for sure), most likely Switchable and with some Costs FP and a Nuisance Effect (increases weight as cube of HP increase, may break through floors, sink in water, etc.). Doubling your ST/HP would equate to 8x density. Add in some DR with Tough Skin (but not I think only vs. Crushing), only when Extra ST is switched on, if you wish.

The latter sounds like a natural effect of Control Density or Control Weight, with potentially damaging effects as per Control Gravity.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Well, there's beneficial density increase, which usually increases your strength as well, and density increase used as an attack.

For the former, since knockback is actually resisted by ST, I'd simply make it Extra ST (including HP for sure), most likely Switchable and with some Costs FP and a Nuisance Effect (increases weight as cube of HP increase, may break through floors, sink in water, etc.). Doubling your ST/HP would equate to 8x density. Add in some DR with Tough Skin (but not I think only vs. Crushing), only when Extra ST is switched on, if you wish.

The latter sounds like a natural effect of Control Density or Control Weight, with potentially damaging effects as per Control Gravity.
Good stuff. I'd just add that Growth ought to be a good model for DI as it is in Champions/Hero. Figure out the equivalent SM (based on mass), and buy (at least) the minimum ST necessary to support that size, with extras added as per v's suggestion above. Since actual SM isn't changing, you won't get many of the sfx associated with Growth, nor should you qualify for the ST/HP discount.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Increased density is not exactly useful in gamemech terms in 4e: knockback is resisted with ST, slams and collisions and falling damage are figured based on HP, and wrestling is a function of ST. The only good think one gets from extra weight (due to increasing density while maintaining volume) is when enemies want to carry it away on their backs, or do one of the rare pick-up-and-drop Techniques from MA. More often, allies need to carry around their wounded, so it's more a nuisance than a power.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
knarf

Well, what do you want to do with density manipulation? If you want to be resistant to knockback, buy up ST. Wanna knock somebody else down, buy up ST. If you want to manipulate the density of others, purchase Afflictions to give them Skinny and Fat disadvantages.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Useless Son

increased density is translated from 3rd ed to 4th ed by buying extra HP, as Molokh explained, and DR with the crushing damage only limitation. Also, you need to figure a disadvantage or limitation to represent difficulty swimming.

that's documented somewhere, in a PDF that explains the differences between 3rd and 4th. it also has recommendations and hints for carrying abilities, like ID, over.
Useless Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless Son
that's documented somewhere, in a PDF that explains the differences between 3rd and 4th. it also has recommendations and hints for carrying abilities, like ID, over.
Shaka-Khan!

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
blacksmith

St with only to resist knockback might be apropriate. it should be -80% limitation.

Also a nuisance effect of weighing a lot should be fine too for some of the not as limited effects. Shouldn't be more than -5% though.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
St with only to resist knockback might be apropriate. it should be -80% limitation.

Also a nuisance effect of weighing a lot should be fine too for some of the not as limited effects. Shouldn't be more than -5% though.
For knockback I'd say:

Perk: Knockback resistant. You get +1 to resist knockback. This perk can be bought in levels.

or...

Resistant (Uncommon) Knockback.

Being knockback resistant without being extra durable is rarely that much of an advantage...
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
PK

Resistant is the way to go, I agree. But IMO, Knockback should be Common -- that makes Immunity to Knockback a 15-point advantage, which sounds right to me. Until recently, I've been saying that the +3 [5] and +8 [7] levels should just add to your ST instead of HT, but I'm starting to change my mind. I still think that Resistant to Knockback is the easiest way to model it, but I may start tweaking it so that it's *3 and *8 to your ST, instead. That seems more fair, for the price.

Also note that the following special enhancement for Affliction is based loosely on the value of Disadvantage (Very Fat or Increased Life Support (Massive)):

Weight: The subject's weight increases dramatically. This is basically a nuisance -- they count as more encumbrance if carried, may crash through weak floors, etc. -- but can be advantageous at times. +5% for 3x weight, +10% for 10x weight, +15% for 30x weight, +20% for 100x weight, and so on. GMs should usually require a commiserate increase in HP and either an increase or reduction in ST. (The reduction simulates someone's own body weight "counting as encumbrance".)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote