Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
Railstar

Default Vengeful and bears grudges

Normally with Bad Temper, Selfish, or similar disadvantages, I expect there to be an immediate reaction to the problem - insult, attack, or otherwise act against the cause of the stress. In the case of Selfish, it describes it as "lashing out" for -3 reactions and putting them in an awkward social situation?

What about the person who bears grudges?

So they do attack, insult or otherwise act against the cause of the stress, but can do so subtly. Maybe they place a curse on them later, maybe they have a high spell skill with Poison Food and hexes the target's meal quietly when nobody is paying attention, maybe they actively try to charm the person to lead them into danger. Maybe they plan some kind of revenge to take place at a later date.

So the Selfish person is status-conscious, and reacts harshly to snubs, but is careful to avoid the awkward social situation that would undermine the status they care about so much.

Is that acceptable for "act against the cause of the stress" for an otherwise subtle character? Would it require a modifier?

What are your thoughts?
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Vengeful and bears grudges

I tend to place "Holds Grudges" as a Quirk. Of course, how the person holding the grudge acts can edge into OPH territory.

From my Quirks document:

Quote:
Holds Grudges
You can't just let things go and let bygones be bygones. If someone pisses you off, you let them know it, even after they've apologized for the hundredth time! Every social encounter with someone who has done you wrong will result in you snubbing them, often with them wondering what they've done to tick you off this time (when in reality, you're still ticked about the first time)!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 02-23-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
how the person holding the grudge acts can edge into OPH territory.
Or Obsession. For some characters, it might be closer to Vow (Revenge), and some cultures might impose a Duty.

It's less important to give it the right book name than it is to understand what the effects are supposed to be on the character. The flavor makes a difference is all those choices. You might call it "Holds a Grudge" at whatever point value. But there's a whole scale there from "dislikes and would do an ill turn if the chance arises" to "I’ll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition’s flames before I give him up."
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Normally with Bad Temper, Selfish, or similar disadvantages, I expect there to be an immediate reaction to the problem - insult, attack, or otherwise act against the cause of the stress. In the case of Selfish, it describes it as "lashing out" for -3 reactions and putting them in an awkward social situation?

What about the person who bears grudges?

So they do attack, insult or otherwise act against the cause of the stress, but can do so subtly. Maybe they place a curse on them later, maybe they have a high spell skill with Poison Food and hexes the target's meal quietly when nobody is paying attention, maybe they actively try to charm the person to lead them into danger. Maybe they plan some kind of revenge to take place at a later date.

So the Selfish person is status-conscious, and reacts harshly to snubs, but is careful to avoid the awkward social situation that would undermine the status they care about so much.

Is that acceptable for "act against the cause of the stress" for an otherwise subtle character? Would it require a modifier?

What are your thoughts?
For the seriously vengeful person go with the old standard "Obsession: Revenge". A selfish person who has been disrespected must make a self control roll or immediately say or do something hostile although it could just be saying something snide while keeping a smile on their face.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

I always just treated it as a different flavor of Stubborn. The Character just refuses to give up their position, that of 'I will get back at this person' and then let other disads flavor how severely they need to get back at them.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or Obsession. For some characters, it might be closer to Vow (Revenge), and some cultures might impose a Duty.

It's less important to give it the right book name than it is to understand what the effects are supposed to be on the character. The flavor makes a difference is all those choices. You might call it "Holds a Grudge" at whatever point value. But there's a whole scale there from "dislikes and would do an ill turn if the chance arises" to "I’ll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition’s flames before I give him up."
I definitely like the idea of Obsession for some forms of that mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
For the seriously vengeful person go with the old standard "Obsession: Revenge". A selfish person who has been disrespected must make a self control roll or immediately say or do something hostile although it could just be saying something snide while keeping a smile on their face.
That gives me something to work with. The selfish person must immediately begin attempting to retaliate - if they can retaliate in a subtle fashion that is probably more to do with skill than with the disadvantage, but as long as they immediately begin to do something towards undermining or hurting the other party I can treat that as counting.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Vengeful and bears grudges

For models, see Nixon and Johnson.

A grudge can easily evolve into an obsession.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
jason taylor

I agree. It's either Vow or Obsession.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Phantasm

Yeah, I misspoke in my previous post; should have said Obsession rather than OPH.

It all depends on whether it's just a resentful "oh, you again; you're beneath me and can't do anything right" social snubbing or a "Captain Ahab has to chase his whale!" type that'll result in nearly everyone around you getting killed for the sake of your need for vengeance.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote