Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Malfi

Default Structure within powers anyone?

I was thinking I would like to see worked examples of structure within powers (from Powers p. 31) especially the prerequisites part, preferably for multiple power modifiers co existing in the same setting, Psionics, Chi and Magic seem pretty basic.
This could be also applied in the context of a worked example of powers book like psionics or weird powers.
I could see even limits to which advantages and a what level you purchace them, depending on the point total spent in the power's abilities.
As a kind of out there ideas, asking certain disadvatages necessary for the most high/extreme advantages and seeing power sources like vampire or werewolf would be interesting, to me at least.

All that aside has anyone explored this in his games?
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Structure within powers anyone?

I think the best example of this is GURPS Psionic Powers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
I was thinking I would like to see worked examples of structure within powers (from Powers p. 31) especially the prerequisites part, preferably for multiple power modifiers co existing in the same setting, Psionics, Chi and Magic seem pretty basic.
This could be also applied in the context of a worked example of powers book like psionics or weird powers.
I could see even limits to which advantages and a what level you purchace them, depending on the point total spent in the power's abilities.
As a kind of out there ideas, asking certain disadvatages necessary for the most high/extreme advantages and seeing power sources like vampire or werewolf would be interesting, to me at least.

All that aside has anyone explored this in his games?
You could check out GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers, which despite the Thaumatology tag is an example of a structure Power framework. I'm pretty sure Mailanka's Psi-Wars setting has a few examples of power structures as well.

I myself am building a large set of structured powers for my GURPS Cabal game, but I don't particularly want to post them because a) they're not done, and b) several of the power sets are swiped wholesale from other people's work to save me time. One of those people is jsammalahti, who put together a really sweet WoD-esque vampiric powers framework. Aside from his vampiric powers, I'm including some kind of Chi magic (probably based on Chinese Elemental Powers, above), a fairly basic psychic powers structure, Ritual Path Magic (not powers, but hey), fairy magic-as-powers, and werewolf powers.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Malfi

Psionic power and chinese elementals powers are very interesting but they don't include prerequisites (on which I focused on my first post), level limits or secret powers. They do include very well conceived abilities though and chinese elemental powers does have level limits of a short.

The vampiric powers framework seems very interesting.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Telesend can send your senses, but there is no mention at all of whether it is possible to get someone's senses when using Telereceive.
Telesend is sending, Telerecieve is needed to get or receive information
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

In Characters, pg 69, is the "Sensory" enhancement for Mind Reading.

In Psionic Powers, there is a discussion about adding sensory to Telereceive 3 in the "Under The Hood" discussion on pg 9.

While you are correct that there is no "Sensory" technique, there is information within the book on how to add it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
The point of Psionic Powers is that it is supposed to pre-package all the crunch for you. This is no good if it isn't explcicit about what that allows. I have only the vaguest idea what you are talking about above and I shouldn't have to read "Under The Hood" sections to understand basic things about the packaged power I am using.
I understand, though dont agree with your point.
All supplements assume familiarity with GURPS Basic, unless its a standalone game like GURPS Discworld in which case its not really a supplement.
I dont understand how a game supplement (for any game) is exected to be written such that you dont need to understand either the core rules or have read the supplement in question.
As a player, fine but you should be able to ask the GM and the GM should know or be wikking and able to look up the answer, If not during a game at least wing it and look it up after.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
The point of Psionic Powers is that it is supposed to pre-package all the crunch for you.
The book would be endlessly long if it prepackaged all the crunch for the GM. It does enough and gives the "how to" in Under The Hood so the GM can do any individual packages that aren't already done for him.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The book would be endlessly long if it prepackaged all the crunch for the GM. It does enough and gives the "how to" in Under The Hood so the GM can do any individual packages that aren't already done for him.
I kinda missed that part.
The point was not to explain how all the powers work, most of that is dome in the Basic Set.
The point was to do the crunch and math heavy part for the GM and player by bundling all the modifiers into prebuilt powers. Also to illustrate by example how to construct your own power sets.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I kinda missed that part.
The point was not to explain how all the powers work, most of that is dome in the Basic Set.
The point was to do the crunch and math heavy part for the GM and player by bundling all the modifiers into prebuilt powers. Also to illustrate by example how to construct your own power sets.
Furthermore, it built upon concepts in Powers, most notably the "Skills For Everyone" sidebox, which it states quite clearly in the first few pages that it assumes you have access to. It's not going to pad the page count out the wazoo by reprinting entire sections of the Basic Set and Powers.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote