Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Goldgardian

Default Throw spell = Half damage?

So, I'm making a mage, and I'm planning on using throw spell (Gurps Magic 128) and according to this, and my GM, I do half damage with any damaging spells?

"Thrown spells have 1/2D n/a, Max 80,Acc 1; roll against DX-4 or Innate Attack skill to hit."

he's not the most experienced with magic, so he admits he could be wrong here, but what's the actual way it works? if he's right, I'm probably still gonna use it

(Also, just want to be sure, that Psychic Guidance Thaumatology: Magical styles Page-29 works with Throw spell)
Goldgardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: Throw spell = Half damage?

No the N/A for spells means that it is not applicable and thus not applied. So your spells have normal effects to 80 yards.

But a general note that just using a missile spell is usually a better idea if you want to do damage.

As for the guidance. Depends on your GM, but by the wording of the throw spell it should, as throw spell makes the spell a missile spell. However you would need one perk for each spell you want to guide that way.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldgardian View Post
So, I'm making a mage, and I'm planning on using throw spell (Gurps Magic 128) and according to this, and my GM, I do half damage with any damaging spells?

"Thrown spells have 1/2D n/a, Max 80,Acc 1; roll against DX-4 or Innate Attack skill to hit."
No, the "1/2D n/a" listing here means that the spell's half-damage range is the same as its Max range, and thus is never reduced by 1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldgardian
(Also, just want to be sure, that Psychic Guidance Thaumatology: Magical styles Page-29 works with Throw spell)
Personally, I wouldn't let Psychic Guidance work with Throw Spell - Psychic Guidance requires specialization by spell, and allowing it to work on any spell you happened to throw with Throw Missile is considerably more powerful than I think it's intended to be. I might let it work with a specific combination of Throw Spell and another spell, though. Something like Psychic Guidance (Throw Spell with Create Fire), for instance.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Personally, I wouldn't let Psychic Guidance work with Throw Spell - Psychic Guidance requires specialization by spell, and allowing it to work on any spell you happened to throw with Throw Missile is considerably more powerful than I think it's intended to be. I might let it work with a specific combination of Throw Spell and another spell, though. Something like Psychic Guidance (Throw Spell with Create Fire), for instance.
I would allow it for 5pts, I allow Psychic Guidance for all spells at 10pts and I think it's too expensive.

As for Throw Spells, there's no change, the spell happens exactly as it normally would at the target location.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, throw spell