Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
lachimba

Default Doesn't Sleep

Just confirming

Doesn't sleep does/doesn't grant immunity to unconciousness?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Doesn't Sleep

They aren't the same state, so I don't see why immunity to one would grant it to the other.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

That's correct, yeah. Doesn't Sleep means you don't need the sort of restful sleep others do to be functional. But being knocked unconscious isn't that sort of sleep. If you want to be immune to unconsciousness, you should buy Resistant to Unconsciousness at the Immunity level. I'd peg "Unconsciousness" as a Common category.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
That's correct, yeah. Doesn't Sleep means you don't need the sort of restful sleep others do to be functional. But being knocked unconscious isn't that sort of sleep. If you want to be immune to unconsciousness, you should buy Resistant to Unconsciousness at the Immunity level. I'd peg "Unconsciousness" as a Common category.
So immunity to meatbolic hazards doesn't include this?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Kromm's opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Immunity to Unconsciousness [30] is only slightly better than Doesn't Sleep [20], and I can accept its pricing given that Coma is +250% while Sleep is +150% as an Affliction. I also agree that it gives you additional options. For sanely played characters, this isn't the same as Immunity to Being Taken Prisoner . . . the fair cost of which would be the price of Warp (Accessibility, Only when taken prisoner, -40%; Reflexive, +40%) [100], or 100 points, because that's roughly what it does for you. Unconsciousness ought to be a rare cause of capture in plausible stories – most imprisonment should result from surrender by the prisoners, betrayal by their apparent allies, or (at its most violent) grappling and restraint. Thus, I'd be hesitant to price Immunity to Unconsciousness on the grounds that it's Immunity to Being Taken Prisoner. Mostly, it's Immunity to Being Bored While Waiting For Your PC To Wake Up.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Bruno

Immunity to Metabolic Hazards most definitely doesn't include Doesn't Sleep or Immunity to Unconsciousness.

Machines can have limited duty cycles, and can be overloaded or knocked offline. The Electrical disadvantage provides an extra way to knock something Unconscious and that's very commonly combined with ITMH, which wouldn't be a valid combination if ITMH offered immunity to Unconsciousness.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards most definitely doesn't include Doesn't Sleep or Immunity to Unconsciousness.

Machines can have limited duty cycles, and can be overloaded or knocked offline. The Electrical disadvantage provides an extra way to knock something Unconscious and that's very commonly combined with ITMH, which wouldn't be a valid combination if ITMH offered immunity to Unconsciousness.
Just checking.

GMing has taught me that GURPS players will ask every question possible.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
So immunity to meatbolic hazards doesn't include this?
Doesn't include, but can have similar effects.
I'm of course talking about cases where a sleep affliction, symptom or side effect is being delivered by a metabolic hazard. In that case, ItMH does protect against the specific attack's final effect, even though you still need to sleep normally on your natural schedule.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
kirbwarrior

Doesn't Sleep is "Immunity to Sleep [5]" and "Less Sleep 8 [16]", saving one point because the effects over lap and pentaphilia. Sleep attacks are far more rare than effects that cause Unconsciousness (a very common side effect of HP loss, for example).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
Bruno

There's always a bit of confusion with Resistant because the thing you pick to be resistant to can be any one of
  • A power/effect origin, source, or description
  • A power (introduced in Powers, IIRC)
  • A mechanic

Resistant to Disease and Resistant to Metabolic Hazards are origins. Resistant to Unconsciousness (or Sleep) are mechanics. So there definitely can be overlap, but one is not a sub-category of the other.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doesn't sleep, unconscious