Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #41
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Pyramid #3/104: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
...did you catch that it was a reference to the popular meme, "The Cake is a Lie!"?
I'm another one who'd never heard of it and had to look it up.
Quote:
I'm honestly confused, because the words "the sandbox is a lie" don't translate to "people cannot enjoy sandbox play" -- at least, not in any way that I can possibly see. Can someone explain where the insult is?
I have a hypothesis about it. Some people who run sandbox games are quite ideological about that. One quite prolific poster here (now banned) claimed it was the only morally sound way to run an RPG. It can be a whole lot of work.

The title, in isolation, can be interpreted as claiming that "People who claim to be running sandbox games are lying about that and manipulating their players to keep them on the planned plot." GMs who go to a lot of effort not to do that could legitimately be annoyed.

Me, I prepare ideas, but I feel I have to cope with the players whatever they decide to do, preferably without the joints showing. Fortunately, I can improvise.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #42
Rasputin

Quote:
In fact, is there anything -- anything at all -- in the actual content of that section that disparages sandbox play or insults those who use it? Because I've reread it multiple times now and I don't see it, so if I'm missing something, I genuinely want to know. In fact, everything there looks like advice on how to run a campaign that feels like a sandbox even if the GM doesn't have the time to craft a thousand plot hooks in advance.
I'm bringing this into the discussion. Specifically the line "Over 20+ years of GMing I've found pure "sandbox" play to be untainable in the long run." So there's a bit of past discussion brought into this by an earlier reader/author exchange.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #43
trooper6

Quote:
I'm honestly confused, because the words "the sandbox is a lie" don't translate to "people cannot enjoy sandbox play" -- at least, not in any way that I can possibly see. Can someone explain where the insult is?
I will attempt to explain.l as I see it. So I'm often a sandbox GM (not for oneshots, and not for certain games that have narrativism baked into the system, etc). Being a sandbox GM can certainly come with a feeling of alienation/marginalization from the published/official parts of the hobby. Few adventures are published that support sandbox play, and many companies who put out guidelines for publication of adventures...have guidelines that exclude sandbox supplements (including SJ Games's adventure template). Sandbox style is certainly not to be found in Adventure Paths. So if you like sandboxes, you don't get many bones thrown your way. And while there may be sandboxers who say sandbox is the only way, there are also lots of non-sandboxers who cast aspersions on sandbox style. If you are a sandboxer, you will have heard people say of your preferred style that it is boring, aimless, pointless...and that it isn't actually possible to do--in short that the ability of sandboxes to work at all and be fun is a lie.

"The sandbox is a lie" evokes echoes of these general negations of the play style while also coming off as a thumb in the eye of a group of people who already don't get much published support. While the author might have just been making a "funny" joke, it walked into a sore spot for a number of sandboxers. So I can see it offending some sandbox people.

I'm not offended, I suppose because I don't expect more, but I will say that looking at the text, I think the article would have been better with no references to sandbox style at all. The descriptions of sandbox come off straw man to me...I don't know any sandboxer who thinks they have to pre-design every element of a campaign. Really it could just be presented as a random quest generation system and not discuss sandboxes at all. And as a random quest generation system, I think it's pretty cool.

Side note for the sandboxers: I heard the Dracula Dossier is a sandbox adventure...I'm looking forward to reading it!

Last edited by trooper6; 06-24-2017 at 03:32 PM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #44
dbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Side note for the sandboxers: I heard the Dracula Dossier is a sandbox adventure...I'm looking forward to reading it!
I haven't played it myself but I listen to Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff and they have talked about it a lot. It's designed to be incredibly flexible, for example every NPC has three write ups (potential ally, neutral, potential foe).

The format was first created for The Armitage Files so there is more goodness out there if you want to track it down.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #45
Phil Masters

Quote:
I heard the Dracula Dossier is a sandbox adventure...I'm looking forward to reading it!
It's about as sandbox-ish as something published as a scenario book (as opposed to a setting book) can get. It does rather oblige the GM to improvise snippets of plot in response to player decisions.

It's extraordinary at what it does, certainly.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #46
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
The format was first created for The Armitage Files so there is more goodness out there if you want to track it down.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
It's about as sandbox-ish as something published as a scenario book (as opposed to a setting book) can get. It does rather oblige the GM to improvise snippets of plot in response to player decisions.

It's extraordinary at what it does, certainly.
I'm looking forward to reading The Dracula Dossier and Armitage Files to see how they do it. I have ideas about how to create a sandboxy sort of scenario book, so I'm interested in seeing how others have done it.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #47
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
many companies who put out guidelines for publication of adventures...have guidelines that exclude sandbox supplements (including SJ Games's adventure template)
At the risk of starting a tangent, what do you see as the difference between a sandbox supplement and SJ Games's setting-centric books like the Locations and Hot Spots series?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #48
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
At the risk of starting a tangent, what do you see as the difference between a sandbox supplement and SJ Games's setting-centric books like the Locations and Hot Spots series?
Because this IS a tangent, please take this to Roleplaying in General.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #49
Rasputin

Quote:
Really it could just be presented as a random quest generation system and not discuss sandboxes at all. And as a random quest generation system, I think it's pretty cool.
I'll agree with pretty much everything you wrote on that, snipped for space, though without the same religious fervor. Also, after fiddling with it, the quest system did do well, though honestly it's not for my sandbox. It kept leading me to have to move everyone out of my sandbox (which is about as big as Estonia) and into jungles miles away (and about the same latitude as Slovakia). I think it would be great for a "drop the ring in Mount Doom, which happens to be on the other side of the continent"-type scenario.

The quest system worked better than the background system, which I found had too many weird events for one character. Many of the tables on that could have been changed to, "Roll 1d. On a 1, roll on this table; otherwise, move to the next one." I did like the general location tables, however; not only is it realistic to be from somewhere, it leads to interesting play.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #50
Nemoricus

The tables in It's a Quest! are great stuff, and are an excellent way for a GM to get inspiration if they're stuck on something. Not sure kind of a person is running the bandit ring? Roll on the Person table. Need to pick a monster to stock a room? Roll on the Monster table.

Liberally mix these tables with those from the Heroic Background Generator and you've got a good way to answer many questions about your adventure.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, gurps, pyramid 3/104