Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Lucian

Default Re: Armor for points, not money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

It's never seemed quite right to me that the Knight can get heaps of DR with cash, and my hypothetical Beefcake Barbarian needs to buy it with points - even though furry underwear often trumps full field plate in much of the source material.
Just a thought.

What seems not right about it ? Wealth is an advantage.

Donald Trump is where he is largely because of Trump Sr. (though Im sure he'll tell you hes soley responsibile for his position in life )

I would never allow a player to do this.

Firstl. You always buy armor with CP, its just done indirectly.

Either A. Use Sig gear to buy a suit of armor or B. buy wealth, than buy armor.

E-mail me if you have questions enniya.questions@gmail.com
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #22
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Soon, very soon, someone will want to know how build a spoon with points.
Equipment Perk: Spoon [1].

Though you could always go with a TK-based build to get some cupped hands for holding soup, plus Linked Shrinking to get it down to the correct size. Probably only a few dozen points that way.

Though the savvy points-munchkin will actually collect points for it with Trademark (Battlecry: "Spoon!").
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

The issue is that wealth comes with all sorts of baggage, mostly good, that not every character fits.
I want this one super expensive item does not always mean I want lots of expensive items, social obligations, status, ability to make more money, etc.

It's not just murder hobos either. I want my character to have top of the line armor, but only be wealthy not mega-rich king.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #24
Kalzazz

I consider it the Rand al'Thor problem . . . Rand is a poor farm kid, and starts with an awesome sword
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #25
Lucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The issue is that wealth comes with all sorts of baggage, mostly good, that not every character fits.
I want this one super expensive item does not always mean I want lots of expensive items, social obligations, status, ability to make more money, etc.

It's not just murder hobos either. I want my character to have top of the line armor, but only be wealthy not mega-rich king.
Wealth comes with very little baggage.

It does not have to be connected to status, that is optional.

It all depends on the setting.

And if you only want the money to spend on one item, or a handful of items then signature gear is the most appropriate.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Wealth comes with very little baggage.

It does not have to be connected to status, that is optional.

It all depends on the setting.

And if you only want the money to spend on one item, or a handful of items then signature gear is the most appropriate.
You really think one suit of TL 4 armor is worth 400 points? When that much in wealth could buy a freaking army? Or blast stats to whatever the settings dictates as caps?
Status is included in wealth. It includes increased ability to make money and increased cost of living. It's also a bit silly in most societies to "just" be stupidly wealthy without it having any effect on social interactions or placement.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #27
Lucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You really think one suit of TL 4 armor is worth 400 points? When that much in wealth could buy a freaking army? Or blast stats to whatever the settings dictates as caps?
Status is included in wealth. It includes increased ability to make money and increased cost of living. It's also a bit silly in most societies to "just" be stupidly wealthy without it having any effect on social interactions or placement.
Where are you getting 400 points?

A full suit of plate in the basic set comes out to just over 5,000$

Thats signature gear [11]

For wealth, you'd need Very Wealthy for 30 points nad you'd have enough to buy your own war horse, and hire your own lackey to carry your stuff.

And this is gurps, Status is included in wealth if you want it to be, the same for cost of living.

I dont include cost of living unless my players CHOOSE to take the Status associated for wealth. WHich they never do, because its silly.

If your an adventurer your likely living out of your suitcase, doing adventury stuff.

BTW 11 points is cheap. What would you have to do to buy Damagae resistance of 6 with points only ? Damage Resistance 6 [30]

Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #28
Bruno

Quote:
Where are you getting 400 points?

A full suit of plate in the basic set comes out to just over 5,000$
Flyn specified he's using Low Tech, not Basic Set. Very very very different base cost. He also specified "all the bells and whistles", which is a lot of cost modifiers.

EDIT: I don't know which options Flyn was looking at, but to give you an idea of the magnitude: One suit of Heavy Plate covering all locations except the head and neck, made from Hardened Steel, out of Duplex Plate, and with Masterful Tailoring: $512,000. I haven't checked if Hardened Steel and Duplex stack, but I think they do. EDIT: Ooops, no, but Fluted and Hardened Steel do.

100 times as expensive as that basic set armor, or 1,100 points-ish.

Last edited by Bruno; 08-24-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #29
Lucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Flyn specified he's using Low Tech, not Basic Set. Very very very different base cost. He also specified "all the bells and whistles", which is a lot of cost modifiers.
Jeez, what happened to earning the items with all the bells and whistles. Maybe, a player shouldn't start the game with the best of everything?

Look the same could be said of anything, a very fine sword stops bring practical when you compare it's cost too it's modified damage, and so no, it wouldn't be worth the point cost. Not in my games when you get only 150 pts.

If my player wanted to trade cp for gear directly, one way or another it's gonna be a similar cost to what the basic set suggests. Roughly 500 $ for a point.

Theirs no way id let a player get the armor from heaven for like 20 points. Any way you cut it, I find that the player is just looking for a loop hole.

One of the core tenets I use in my game is that if their is already an official system in play for something I'm not making a New one.

If my player, who in all respects is a normal human with no magical background and wants to buy an innate attack that's a fire ball, then I say no, and hand him my copy of Gurps magic and say do it this way...

In fact for Sig gear I won't allow any magical items.mundane gear only, except for a power stone.

I will not let a player Sig gear their way to the sword of epic doom

Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #30
Bruno

Quote:
Jeez, what happened to earning the items with all the bells and whistles. Maybe, a player shouldn't start the game with the best of everything?
Not everyone plays games like that. Not everyone starts at 150 points with junior heroes, for instance.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, breakable, character points, damage resistance