Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default [Powers] Modular Abilities to Negate Disadvantages

Is it reasonable to allow MAs to negate disadvantages? So, for instance, if I have Blindness, and I have a slot (or Cosmic MA) with enough points for "No Blindness", is this legit / fair / balanced? Of course you'd have to have Physical on it for No Blindness (your MAs must be able to affect the relevant class of traits). If so, should this ability be worth extra (an enhancement), or is it just a logical extension of being able to allocate points in your pool to advantages?

And what if this is all you can do with your MAs? What's "Limited, Negate Disadvantages Only"? I thought maybe -20% would be fair, as this is "a broad class of advantages" (effectively, a Negated Disadvantage is an advantage). Too little discount? Too little (should be -10% instead)?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Powers] Modular Abilities to Negate Disadvantages

I would say it was legal to temporarily "buy off" most disadvantages with a Modular ability.

And I would say "Negated Disadvantages only" is a -20% trait limitation. If you were to restrict it to "Negated Mental Disadvantages" or "Negated Physical Disadvantages" I would take that to -30%
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
CoyoteGestalt

Well, I'm not sure "Only Negated Mental Disadvantages" is a greater limitation than "Only Negated Disadvantages," unless for some reason they take the "Physical" enhancement and then add a limitation so they can't use it. (Which I can imagine as part of a larger and even more convoluted build, but doesn't seem likely to come up much.) Or am I misreading how that would work?

Last edited by CoyoteGestalt; 11-25-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: fixed typo
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Good point! Physical and Mental shouldn't be a factor for trait limitation purposes, I stand corrected.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantages, limited, modular abilities