Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
ConfusedDad

Default Templates not showing Advantages or Disadvantages

Does anyone else have this issue when using GURPS Character Assistant? Suppose you create a character with the Dungeon Fantasy Dwarf Template. Now theoretically in quickview and the printout, I should see Advantages like Pickaxe Penchant and Lifting ST 2, and Disadvantages like Greed and Stubborness. But I don't. All I get is a line saying Dwarf (Dungeon Fantasy). Also the same on the actual printout. It's calculating those things correctly behind the scenes, but it's not showing them? Still can't figure it out!

This is the same for all the Templates! Is this universal, or just me?
ConfusedDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Templates not showing Advantages or Disadvantages

Hi there!

This is universal. But, because lots of people are like you and want to actually see the component items that make up the templates, you can turn that back on.

There are two ways to approach this:

1) Changing what you see, without changing the templates:

Within GCA, go to each trait tab, and right-click inside the Character list on the right of the window. On the right-click menu, select Show, then Show Hidden Items. You should then see the template items of that type that were hidden from you.

For character sheets, go into Character Sheet Options for the sheet in question (from the Tools menu, pick Character Sheet Options...), and find the appropriate settings. It will be different for each sheet, depending on how it's written, but should be identifiable. For example, for the official character sheet, in the Character Sheet Options window, pick 'charactersheet.gcs' from the drop-down menu, and then scroll down to the 'Hidden Trait Options' section, and select Yes for each group where you want to see the hidden traits.

2) Changing the templates that you're using:

If you just plain don't like that component traits are hidden, and don't want to mess with unhiding them, then Eric has created a variant data file you can load to fix that, too. When you're loading a data set, look into the \data files \variants\ folder for the 'Variant - Unhide Templates.gdf' file, and load that after all the files that have templates. That will make components not hidden right from the get-go.

(Be careful, there's also a 'Variant - Unlock Templates.gdf' data file, which will unlock the templates, allowing you to change the component traits. That's great, if that's also something that you want, but be aware that changing the components will change the template value, which may not be what you want.)

Option 2 is easier over all, if you always want to see components. However, if you use files created by users that Eric hasn't seen yet, then the variant file may not have settings within it to unhide the templates that are in those new files.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
ConfusedDad

Thank you!!! I loaded the Variant - Unhide Template data file and everything shows up on the character sheet like I want! Perfect!

Your just earned an extra Character Point!
ConfusedDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #4
b1gje55e

I'm using the Fantasy Folk .gdf from "Eric's Dominion" and it's the same problem, not showing in the Quick View but it does on the Character Sheet.
Is there a way to get custom data files to show the traits on the Quick View?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
b1gje55e

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gje55e View Post
I'm using the Fantasy Folk .gdf from "Eric's Dominion" and it's the same problem, not showing in the Quick View but it does on the Character Sheet.
Is there a way to get custom data files to show the traits on the Quick View?
Nevermind, I found an included Varian file to Unhide them. Answered my own question.

Tags
templates