Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Mithlas

Default Psichic Shield Wall

Psionic Powers (4th edition) has a lot of powers built and ready to go, but there's no option for a kinetic to power up a shield so his friends can safely move or do things behind him. A mage could use exactly the same thing, if I understand the concept this is what Sorcery is built on.

My first thought was using damage resistance with the Wall modifier, but that seems more to apply to using fog or fire to build a larger entity:
Damage Resistance [5/level base] (mobile +40%, wall +30%, force field +20%, low signature +10%, costs fatigue 2 -10%, telekinetic -10%, requires IQ roll -10% = +70%) [9/level end cost]

Mobile allowing the mage or psychic using it to adjust exactly where the 'psychic shield' is and its facing, which may not be necessary. The description of wall implies a substance (even if metaphorical, like fire) filling a structure of some manner.

Another option is to use "Create" to make a wall of force that moves with the psy, probably taking up at least one hand, though I doubt that I've got something correct in this initial idea:
Create (specific item) [5/level base] (mobile +40%, wall +30%, low signature +10%, costs fatigue 2 -10%, telekinetic -10%, requires IQ roll -10% = +50%) [8/level end cost]

Any corrections, suggestions, or questions for clarification would help.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Psichic Shield Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
Psionic Powers (4th edition) has a lot of powers built and ready to go, but there's no option for a kinetic to power up a shield so his friends can safely move or do things behind him.
It actually does. The Expansion psi technique turns his personal DR into a wide bubble. Anyone shooting at his friends through that bubble would have to contend with its DR. If your goal is to explicitly make a force wall, however, I agree that no such power exists therein.

There are really two ways to build a defensive wall:

1. Damage Resistance + Affects Others + Area Effect + Force Field + Wall. This creates a single indestructible wall that remains up for as long as you want it to. Add Ranged to create it at a distance. Note that "indestructible" does not mean impassible or impervious, but just means it will stay up indefinitely, even if penetrated.

2. Crushing Attack + Area Effect + Persistent + Wall, Rigid. This creates a wall with not just DR but also HP, which means that every penetration damages it, and it will eventually collapse. However, it's automatically ranged and it's "fire and forget," which means that you can put up a new one every turn, either for extra protection or to gradually enclose a larger area than a single use would cover. It also damages anyone crashing into it, unlike the option above.

Either would make a perfectly reasonable Psychokinesis ability. If you want to see examples of magical force walls in action, there are a few in GURPS Sorcery: Protection & Warning Spells.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Mithlas

Default Re: Psichic Shield Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
1. Damage Resistance + Affects Others + Area Effect + Force Field + Wall. This creates a single indestructible wall that remains up for as long as you want it to. Add Ranged to create it at a distance. Note that "indestructible" does not mean impassible or impervious, but just means it will stay up indefinitely, even if penetrated.

2. Crushing Attack + Area Effect + Persistent + Wall, Rigid. This creates a wall with not just DR but also HP, which means that every penetration damages it, and it will eventually collapse. However, it's automatically ranged and it's "fire and forget," which means that you can put up a new one every turn, either for extra protection or to gradually enclose a larger area than a single use would cover. It also damages anyone crashing into it, unlike the option above.
Thanks. (I knew expansion was there, but was looking for something else). Don't know how Affects Others+Area Effect slipped my mind, but I think that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Also interesting to know there's another Sorcery addition. I'm a little strapped for money this month, but it'll be something to keep in mind.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage resistance, psychic, shield