Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
thom

Default [Powers] Help with cleric auras

OK, wise ones.

I'm trying to build some Divine powers for my campaign's clerics and I need the cheapest way to get them.

1] an Aura (hopefully 4 hexes) which gives all the cleric's allies +1 damage on all melee or ranged weapon attacks. I figure it uses:
* Malediction (+100%)
* Aura (+80%)
* Divine (-10%)
* must use gestures and speak (-20% for the two)

And....that's as far as I've gotten. <sg>

I can't figure what the base price to add all the modifiers to would be for "causes +1 damage" Any ideas?

I'm also considering a +1 DR for all allies...

Also, as far as I can figure, the cleric's allies have to stay within 4 hexes of him in order to keep the benefit; is that correct?

Any help/advice would be very appreciated!

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [Powers] Help with cleric auras

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Any help/advice would be very appreciated!
There's a set of Bard Song abilities and package enhancements, in one of the Pyramid v3 issues. I don't remember the issue number, but it may be worth studying.

There may also be some kind of Bard Song in DF:11. I'm not sure. But it's worth looking, if you own it.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
vierasmarius

You may also benefit from Auras of Power and Songs from Power-Up 4: Enhancements. In particular, the Beneficial Song: Alarum [31] gives all allies within range a +2 to Striking ST, which typically grants +1 thrust and +2 swing damage.

Quote:
* Aura (+80%)
This isn't actually the enhancement you want for an area of effect centered on you. Aura gives you a power that coats your body, affecting anyone you touch or who touches you. Instead you want the Emanation limitation, which must be combined with Area Effect and means that instead of "launching" the attack at a range and having it burst to cover an area, it can only be used centered on yourself (though it doesn't affect you if it's a harmful power).

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
There may also be some kind of Bard Song in DF:11. I'm not sure.
Indeed there are.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post

This isn't actually the enhancement you want for an area of effect centered on you. Aura gives you a power that coats your body, affecting anyone you touch or who touches you. Instead you want the Emanation limitation, which must be combined with Area Effect and means that instead of "launching" the attack at a range and having it burst to cover an area, it can only be used centered on yourself (though it doesn't affect you if it's a harmful power).
Aha! So it would be:
Area of affect +100% (4 yards)
Emanation -20%

Nice! But I guess my basic question still is how much does the basic "+1 damage with melee or ranged weapons" cost? 5 points? 10 points? 15 points?

Once I know that amount, the rest should fall into place rather easily.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Nice! But I guess my basic question still is how much does the basic "+1 damage with melee or ranged weapons" cost? 5 points? 10 points? 15 points?

Once I know that amount, the rest should fall into place rather easily.
There isn't really a simple answer to that. The aforementioned power uses Striking ST +2 [10] which gives +1 thrust and +2 swing to muscle-powered melee and thrown weapons, but no damage bonus to bows and crossbows, since those have fixed ST (ie, if a ST 12 guy picks up a ST 10 bow, he'll use it at no penalty, but will only deal damage based on ST 10). It would probably be fair to price a flat +1 damage to all muscle-powered weapons (including bows) at [10] points. Basically, dropping the higher swing damage bonus in place of usability by "fixed-ST" weapons.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Nosforontu

I don't have my books with me to work through the details of the build, but it sounds like the starting point would be innate attack modified down via limitations to just 1 point of damage, perhaps as a follow up attack?
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
I don't have my books with me to work through the details of the build, but it sounds like the starting point would be innate attack modified down via limitations to just 1 point of damage, perhaps as a follow up attack?
That works too. It needs Follow-Up, Universal (+50%) from PU4. A basic 1-pt Burning attack would thus cost just 2 points. Note however that if you want the damage type to match the weapon itself you'll need Alternative Attacks (imp, cut, cr, possibly pi) and it won't add to the attack's penetration.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

First, the Aura of Power meta-enhancement is something you should give a look to. It appears in Pyramid #3/19: Tools of Trade - Clerics and is reprinted in GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements. The pyramid article where it first appeared includes a lot of examples that you may find useful, and they're specifically divine-themed.

Those of you using Emanation builds, remember that it means that you get a pulse of the aura as an action, but you don't get a continuous effect around you.

As for doing more damage, well, you could afflict some kind of damage as an innate attack with a universal followup, or you could afflict Striking ST. Mind you, it's not possible to add extra damage that helps penetration to fixed ST/fixed damage weapons such as bows, crossbows and guns.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Those of you using Emanation builds, remember that it means that you get a pulse of the aura as an action, but you don't get a continuous effect around you.
Yeah, I see now that (at least as of Auras of Power) combining Area Effect with Aura and Melee is considered kosher. I think I need to read PU4 in more depth...

Tags
aura of power