Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Armored money trucks

Are there official stats anywhere for armored vehicles of the sort used to transport large bundles of money (or diamonds etc.)? Seems like it could be very useful, both for heists as well as less conventional adventuring uses. (Prison transport for a super-strong prisoner? Not sure if that would work, would probably require armor between the cargo compartment and cab, which IDK if that type of vehicle has.)
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
Kale

Default Re: Armored money trucks

I think something like an armored bank truck would be in the DR20-25 range. Take a standard truck, up armor it, decrease its range and handling slightly to account for the extra weight.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Anthony

They typically have what's described as II/III armor, which I'm guessing is level II windows and level III in the actually armored parts. Level III armor is approximately DR 25 (stops non-AP 7.62).
Old 04-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
They typically have what's described as II/III armor, which I'm guessing is level II windows and level III in the actually armored parts. Level III armor is approximately DR 25 (stops non-AP 7.62).
IIUC level III armor in GURPS is more like DR 35 because that's what you need to reliably stop 7d damage. Typically that means 12 DR from ballistic fabric + 23 DR from plates. I think level II is 12 DR?

A cursory search didn't turn up real-world performance statistics fro such vehicles, which could be converted into GURPS terms. The Monster Hunters series has rules for up-armoring vehicles, with attendant performance penalties, but doesn't go higher than +20 DR.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
IIUC level III armor in GURPS is more like DR 35 because that's what you need to reliably stop 7d damage.
GURPS always normalizes for average, but it does actually demonstrate a problem in a different area: level III also stops 5.56mmAP, which requires DR 35 or DR 25 with some hardening, or it requires the AP in tests to differ from what GURPS calls AP.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
GURPS always normalizes for average, but it does actually demonstrate a problem in a different area: level III also stops 5.56mmAP, which requires DR 35 or DR 25 with some hardening, or it requires the AP in tests to differ from what GURPS calls AP.
How do you figure? 5.56mm NATO ball does 5d. AP does 0.7 times as much damage, which comes to 3d+2 (2), which makes a quite perfect match for being stopped by DR 25.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How do you figure? 5.56mm NATO ball does 5d. AP does 0.7 times as much damage.
Did High Tech add a new AP type? Basic only lists APHC which adds a (2) armor divisor and does not affect basic damage (a bullet that does -1/die with a (2) divisor would be perfectly reasonable but doesn't exist in GURPS that I know of).
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
Rupert

High-Tech does indeed. Normal AP rounds do x0.7 damage of one step smaller size and with (2) penetration. APHC is the good stuff with full damage and (2) penetration, and if the 5.56mm AP ammo is supposed to penetrate protection that's rated against 7.62x51mm ball, then you'd use APHC stats. If it's not supposed to penetrate that DR, then use AP and assume the people shooting are cheapskates.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
Anthony

In that case, level III armor is DR 25 (good vs 7.62 ball at 7d and 5.56 AP at 3d+2(2)), level IV is DR 35 (good vs 7.62 AP at 5d(2)), and the armor in Basic is level IV. The flex armor should probably be DR 10 or 11, as max rated threat for IIIa is .44 magnum (3d)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:47 AM   #10
Phantasm

Also, are you shooting for "stops all the time" (7*6) or "stops 50% of the time (7*3.5) when using 7.62mmNATO ammo?

Official GURPS DR calculations default to the latter, but many folks here on the forums seem to default to the former.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote