Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Combat Reflexes without defense bonus

I think that it just adds unnecessary complication to the game to get rid of Combat Reflexes. Of course, I think that there would be a case to have a lesser version of Combat Reflexes that would not have the Defense bonus. I would call it Tactical Awareness [5], which would give the non-Defense bonuses, and could be purchased after character creation.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #32
Donny Brook

Here's my House CR advantage:

Combat Reflexes provides

Never freeze in surprise situation (Immunity: Freezing-up due to surprise (Rare) [5]

Modifier of +6 on all IQ rolls to recover from surprise (but not Mental Stun generally) [2] (As a stand-alone perk, +3 for [1])

Modifier of +1 on initiative rolls to avoid a surprise attack (+2 if you are the leader) [1]

A +1 modifier to Fast-Draw rolls when you have been surprised; +2 against Fright Check penalties due to surprise [1]

A +2 modifier to any active defense you take in the first round of a combat or while you are mentally stunned from surprise [1]

Net [10]

Buy Defense bonuses separately.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 02-14-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #33
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Part of the reason combat reflexes looks super-cheap is because enhanced defenses are overpriced.
Ah, no. Enhanced Dodge is correctly-priced at 15/level, derived from Basic Speed being 20/level, and the other key benefit of Basic Speed, increased Basic Move, being 5/level. Now, Enhanced Block and Enhanced Dodge are indeed overpriced (they should be at about 3/level, as a talent that increases the skill is 4/level, with a -25% limitation handling Only for defense), and these would be alternate abilities to Dodge so they could be at 1/5th cost.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #34
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Now, Enhanced Block and Enhanced Dodge are indeed overpriced (they should be at about 3/level, as a talent that increases the skill is 4/level, with a -25% limitation handling Only for defense), and these would be alternate abilities to Dodge so they could be at 1/5th cost.
I think you're forgetting that it's Skill/2 to get defenses so it would be 2 levels of your 3/lvl Advantages... for 6 per +1 to defense... making 5 per +1 less expensive.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #35
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
what traits do those who keep their cool when they are ambushed buy to distinguish themselves from the ones who freeze?
One thing that I really need to fix about my GMing style is asking for too many Per rolls (or their equivalents in other systems) , so my players have quickly learned to put a few points in there, which tends to cut down on the surprise on the player's side.

And for their enemies, I try to avoid too many rolls in that regard. They have different morale levels and behave accordingly. The margin of the players surprise attempt (Tactics, Stealth, Camouflage...) often modify this. It's icky to tell the players exactly what their characters are doing, so "mental stun" is a useful concept there, but for opponents you've got more room between freezing, running for cover/the hills etc.

If push comes to shove, I don't see this substantially different from a regular Fright Check (with one result only, and ignoring the Rule of 13). Which also means that you've got some modifiers to play with, many of which sound like they should apply anyway.
That also means no total immunity to Total Surprise, but that's fine by me. As a general rule, I don't like absolutes.

Also another good application for familiarity penalties.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #36
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
In my last two campaigns I've gotten rid of Combat Reflexes. I'm always a bit wary when it comes to abilities that are so close to being required they might as well be, and with CR you also had the issue that it does a bit too much in one ability (a few of the oldest parts of GURPS are somwhat baroque).
You put it better than I could, but those two things are big factors in why I asked the question. I don't want to get rid of Combat Reflexes, but I do want to break it out to some of its constituent parts (thus why my CR serves as a buy in allowing enhanced defenses), while also making it something other than "cheap way to get +1 defense."
Old 02-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You could get the immunity to Total Suprise just by never being complacent, which sounds like an SOP perk to me.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #38
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You could get the immunity to Total Suprise just by never being complacent, which sounds like an SOP perk to me.
I don't think I'd allow an SOP Perk that let characters be alert while sleeping. Or while engaged in certain very distracting activities.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #39
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I think you're forgetting that it's Skill/2 to get defenses so it would be 2 levels of your 3/lvl Advantages... for 6 per +1 to defense... making 5 per +1 less expensive.
Nope, I'm forgetting nothing. To give +2 to a skill is 4 points (p. B118).

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #40
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Being permanently at Alert Yellow without going insane is a superpower, not a perk (and yes, combat reflexes, as written, is a superpower).