Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
rerednaw

Default 4E GURPS fantasy...which books please?

Have not run/played since 1E/2E.

My budget is rather limited so other than the basic set which books are:
Must have?
Nice to have?

I mean is there a 4E Magic book? Martial Arts (esp cinematic rules?) I figure the basic rules will cover "regular joe with a stick" but I'd like something a wee bit more exotic. Non-humans?

It appears Dungeon Fantasy is a lite version of basic plus (guessing) a smattering of various splats. I'd prefer to have the whole enchillada. Unless DF literally has unique powers/advantages/etc that are 100% vital to survive that extra 5 minutes before face plant country. :D

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: 4E GURPS fantasy...which books please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerednaw View Post

I mean is there a 4E Magic book? Martial Arts (esp cinematic rules?) I figure the basic rules will cover "regular joe with a stick" but I'd like something a wee bit more exotic. Non-humans?

It appears Dungeon Fantasy is a lite version of basic plus (guessing) a smattering of various splats. I'd prefer to have the whole enchillada. Unless DF literally has unique powers/advantages/etc that are 100% vital to survive that extra 5 minutes before face plant country. :D

Thanks!
Yes there is a Magic book and Martial Arts.
The Dungeon Fantasy line (as opposed to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game) is primarily worked examples, templates and rules for a fantasy campaign.
Try this page on my blog.
http://refplace.blogspot.com/p/gurps...lable-for.html
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Rolando

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to do D&D like games, Dungeon Fantasy is the way to go, it have the whole enchilada for that kind of games.
If you want to return to Yrt, Banestorm and Magic are the way to go.
If you want to do your own setting, Magic and maybe Fantasy and Thaumaturgy are the way to go.
If you want some historical/mythic fantasy 3ed historic books are almost 100% useful without any conversion, to that add Magic or Thaumaturgy for a better magic system more in line with the mythology or setting.

From there you may add Martial Arts and many other books and Pyramid articles to the mix.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Shostak

Quote:

Must have?
Nice to have?
For the budget-minded, the Basic Set and Magic are musts, Thaumatology and Fantasy are nice to have.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Empada

Quote:
Must have? 1
Nice to have? 2
1 - Basic Set 4th edition, Characters and Campaign
2 - Magic, Fantasy, Low Tech...

Quote:
I will assume you are not familiar with 4th edition.

In this edition, ALL you need to play are in the basic! how to build a Basic human, exotic creature, magic robot, psionic computer virus who likes to play poker on Tuesday...

It also contain the rules for gritty to cinematic play.

The other books greatly expand the system, but more like "use the rule this way to obtain this effect in play" (sorry, in Portuguese I can explain better)
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
mr beer

Get the DF series or box set if you want to run D&D with good crunch instead of horrible crunch.

Otherwise, it depends what you want to do exactly. Probably Magic is essential but then on the other hand, a lot of people hate that magic system in which case you need something else.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Probably Magic is essential but then on the other hand, a lot of people hate that magic system in which case you need something else.
While most of Magic is devoted to what is often referred to as the "vanilla" magic system, there are other magic systems detailed in the book.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
dcarson

Yes, more details on the kind of fantasy you want and we can give better recommendations. The Magic book is real useful if you like the default magic system but the next time I run a fantasy system I expect to use RPM for the magic users and Divine Favor for the clerics.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
LokRobster

Quote:

Must have?
Nice to have?

Thanks!
If you’re interested in Fantasy 4e GURPS, I believe you’d be extremely pleased by the DFRPG. It really isn’t “lite”, the options have depth and are complex. As you play it, see if it’s missing something you want and then ask folks where to find specific element you want.

If you want a machine gun and some grenades to go up against goblins and giant spiders, then maybe invest straight into the Basic Characters and Campaigns books. For the Fantasy genre, though, DFRPG is the best starting point.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
rerednaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Yes, more details on the kind of fantasy you want and we can give better recommendations. The Magic book is real useful if you like the default magic system but the next time I run a fantasy system I expect to use RPM for the magic users and Divine Favor for the clerics.
The GM has mentioned Dungeon Fantasy/Magic/Martial Arts and of course the Basic Set. I guess he's considering a dungeon crawl (more DND style) to get the group familiar with the rules system...

I was considering KISS without being way behind everyone else (minotaur weapon master was one example of what someone was considering, fey wizard was another). Is a simple crossbow (probably knife backup) viable. I KNOW that bows are still the way to go (curse you DND!!) but I've always like the simplicity of the trusty crossbow.

With just basic and DF-1 Adventurers is there enough where I can least get a shot every other round? All the methods I'm heard of so far require supplements like Gun-Fu, Powerups (xbow finesse), or Weapon Master (Martial Arts). I don't know if a repeating xbow is in Basic/DF or is it only in Low-Tech?

I suppose I could just carry a couple of loaded xbows... :D

Last edited by rerednaw; 02-01-2018 at 10:08 PM.
rerednaw is offline   Reply With Quote