Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #511
Humabout

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

How is this a thing? Someone must have known

Domesticate Dinosaur

Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Mind + Lesser Destroy Mind.
Spell Modifiers: Altered Traits, Not Bestial + Altered Traits, Social Stigma (Valuable Property).
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

One dinosaur becomes domesticated for the duration of the spell. This doesn't impart any special training, but the creature will at least be receptive and won't immediately try to eat you, run away, etc.

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) + Lesser Destroy Mind (5) + Altered Traits, Not Bestial (10) + Altered Traits, Social Stigma (Valuable Property) (2) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Range, 100 yards (10). 41 energy. (41x1).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 06-07-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #512
weso12

I'm just testing out testing out RPM and seeing if I'm doing this right

Gay to Straight

Spell Effect: Lesser Transform Mind
Spell Modifiers: Altered Traits, Not Not
Greater effects: 0 (x1)

changes someone (who is 300 pounds or lighter) sexuality from gay to straight

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Mind (8) + Altered Trait, Not Gay* (1) + Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Range 5 yards (2) + Duration, 1 month (11)

*According gurps Power Ups Quirks alternate sexuality to the default is a quirk, this spell is assumed to be used in a setting were hetrosexuality is the default.
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #513
Varyon

You don't need Subject Weight for Path of Mind. An Altered Traits cost of 1 is typically appropriate, even in a setting where homosexuality is somehow the norm - in that case, you're adding a Quirk. In settings where breaking orientation taboos has serious consequences, changing to a forbidden orientation might afflict the character with a Secret (requiring more energy).

As GM, I'd rule that a Lesser Transform Mind changes the character's orientation without changing anything else - the character is going to be confused when he realizes he's no longer attracted to men but is attracted to women. If he had any mannerisms that gave away his original orientation, he'll maintain those. The same ritual using Greater Transform Mind is going to leave the character realizing he used to be attracted to men and not women, but the switch isn't going to cause any real confusion or angst (aside from any existing relationships it interferes with). His mannerisms are likely to change to reflect his new orientation. If his old mannerisms were sufficient to warrant a Perk, Quirk, or even outright Disadvantage (OPH: Fabulous would be a legitimate Disadvantage in some settings), you'll either need to add some more energy into Altered Traits to get rid of these, or I'd argue you could replace them with appropriate heterosexual equivalents (OPH: Manly Man?) for free as part of the Greater Effect.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #514
weso12

I wasn't looking to do anything but change sexuality anyways with this spell so lesser effect is fine and I'm removing weight thanks I didn't realize that it didn't matter for mind spells.

Gay to Straight

Spell Effect: Lesser Transform Mind
Spell Modifiers: Altered Traits, Not Gay
Greater effects: 0 (x1)

changes someone sexuality from gay to straight

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Mind (8) + Altered Trait, Not Gay (1) + Range 5 yards (2) + Duration, 1 month (11) 22 energy (22x1)
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #515
ajardoor

Feign Death
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Body.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This ritual allows the caster to pretend to be dead for its duration (or until cancelled), appearing to all mundane senses and mortal science to be an inert corpse. The caster cannot move on their own while the ritual is in effect, but can think and sense their surrounding to some degree (if their eyes are open, they can see straight ahead, for instance). The caster can still take injury and feel pain, can cast spells if capable of doing so without physically moving, still ages, can still die for real, and can be magically analysed for signs of life.

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 27 energy (9x3).

Not sure what the modifiers should be for this one.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:21 AM   #516
Ghosts.N.Stuff

Hello, so I'm trying to wrap my head around creating some spells for the world I'm gonna run and I hit bit of a roadblock with one.

I'm going for firestorm classic sort of spell, where fireballs are falling from the sky.

Now the problem I'm having is here:

I wanted to have them explode on impact as well. But I'm not exactly sure if Area of Effect and Explosion can even be in the same spell, since as I understand it, they do the same thing with the difference that the AoE covers the whole area and explosion uses it's own rules. Does the bombardment limitation solve this issue?

The exact thing I aimed for with this spell is: huge radius of the spell, external explosive damage, falling from the sky bombarding the target area.

Originally I went with following enhancements: Area of Effect, Explosion, Bombardment, Overhead.

Full cost: Greater Create Fire (6) + External burn Damage 4d (4), Explosive (+50%), Area of Effect 100m (20), Bombardment (-10%, skill 12), Overhead (+30%), Duration momentary (0), 123 energy (41x3)

Does that make sense?

And a little side note, can I attack the hex for the +4 even if it is bombardment effective skill 12? For effective 16.

I had one more idea on how to do it and that is to use Overhead and Rapid Fire instead of Bombardment. It would make more sense for the spell,but I'm not sure if it is allowed. Bombardment would mean everyone would get attacked, while with rapid fire, the potential hits would be resolved according to how RF works.

Last edited by Ghosts.N.Stuff; 09-04-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: fixed dmg and cost
Ghosts.N.Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #517
Zarmonic

It's not quite as expensive. The damage on the chart is for internal damage. It's x3 for external damage and x2 if it's explosive.

Firestorm
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Burning (Overhead; Bombardment (skill 12)) + Area Of Effect.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Burning 4d (Overhead, +30%; Bombardment (skill 12), -10%) (8) + Area Of Effect, 100 yards (20). 102 energy (34×3).
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #518
Zarmonic

Not really the intended use of the Bestows a Bonus modifier, but it just serves as a way to stat this spell.

Lucky Roulette
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows A Bonus.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

Cast on a six chamber revolver randomly loaded with different types of rounds, probably ammunition charms. This spell influences the chance that the bullet fired is the one desired. Say the gun without this spell would simply roll one die to determine which bullet is fired, with the desired bullet being shot with a 6. This spell would bestow a bonus to that roll with the desired bullet shot on a 6 or more. A bonus of +5 would thus cause the right bullet to be fired 100% of the time.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 (16) + Duration, 1 day (7). 28 energy (28×1).
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #519
Ghosts.N.Stuff

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks Zarmonic
Ghosts.N.Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #520
Pseudonym

I made a cheat sheet with all the important tables for RPM which can fit on one page when printed. Thought it might be appreciated here.

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology