Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #401
oneofmanynameless

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
This needs Duration to be usable beyond initially damaging the foe. 10 minutes for +1 (+3 total) energy should be more than sufficient.
Are you sure about that? It's not giving any effects that need a duration modifier... I think with a skill check a transform matter can be used to permanently change the shape of a block of matter. Seems weird to make the sword fall apart or go back to it's original shape after ten minutes...
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #402
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I went with external damage because I envisioned it as literally punching your hand into someone's chest and pulling it out with a sword in it. I chose lesser Transform matter because it's not changing the nature of what you pull out; it's still bone, just magically hardened bone (hence the Strengthen Matter part).
That makes sense. You may want to note that the spell must do at least some damage to actually create the weapon, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I think with a skill check a transform matter can be used to permanently change the shape of a block of matter. Seems weird to make the sword fall apart or go back to it's original shape after ten minutes...
Citation needed. RPM18 states "Aside from healing and damaging spells, no ritual effect is permanent; all will eventually expire," and Transform doesn't say anything to the effect of what you've stated. In any case, this isn't a situation of simply taking some bulk material and turning it into a weapon - it's ripping bone from a person's body and transforming it into a serviceable weapon. That makes an abundant deal of sense to fall apart once the duration expires!

Personally, I think the ability to permanently reshape a block of material into something would be a decent addition to RPM. Here's how I'd handle it.

Instant Craftsmanship
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Matter
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect + Time-Spanning
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This allows a craftsman with appropriate tools and workshop to turn raw materials into a functional object in an instant. The object created is permanent and completely mundane - there is nothing to distinguish a sword made with this ritual and one made normally. In addition to successfully casting the spell, this requires the normal rolls against craft skill to create the weapon - the spell is functionally compressing the time normally needed to create the item into an instant. The Duration and Time-Spanning components must come out to the amount of time needed to normally create the item. Any assistants within the Area of Effect - which must include the entire workshop - can assist, reducing the calculated time needed to create the item. Subject Weight need only meet that of the single heaviest person/item involved - this will typically be the anvil or a craftsman. The below option will compress a week of work into an instant; at the GM's option, it may be possible to cast this multiple times in succession for multiple weeks worth of work.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Area of Effect, 5 yard radius (6) + Duration, 1 week (9) + Time-Spanning, 1 week (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lb (3). 28 energy (28x1).

I went with Lesser Create because you're creating something from raw materials, rather than out of thin air. A Greater version (costing 84 energy) of this ritual wouldn't let you do that, but it would allow you to create the item without a workshop.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #403
Kalzazz

Doesn't the canon Bewitched Basketry spell create lasting baskets or am I confused?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #404
Kalzazz

Bewitched basketry, Pyramid 56 Prehistory shows an example of trurning raw materials into finished product poof instantly
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #405
evileeyore
Banned

Even in my "Nothing Is Permanent*" Magic campaign once something is shaped it remains, unless on outside force acts upon it.

* Damage is the only "real" permanent effect.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #406
Christopher R. Rice

Shaping something with magic is permanent. The magic to shape it is not permanent.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #407
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Shaping something with magic is permanent. The magic to shape it is not permanent.
In the context of the ritual I posted above, that makes me think of two options: First, leave the duration, and that's how long the Strengthen effect lasts, after which the blade is treated as a bone blade (per Low Tech, or whichever Companion the material rules are in; I don't care enough to look it up just now), or eliminate the Duration and the Strengthen effect and note that the blade is breakable because it's made of bone. Either one is appropriate for a magical assassin style.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #408
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Blade of Blood and Bone:
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body (8) + Lesser Transform Matter (8)+ Lesser Strengthen Matter(3).
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Impaling
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

The user of this spell can reach into a foe's chest and withdraw a sword or knife made of the victim's bones, reinforced with the iron in his blood. The attack is delivered via any unarmed combat skill, and a successful Armory roll is needed to get a usable blade. If no damage penetrates the target's DR, no weapon is created.

Typical Casting: Greater Transform Body (8) + Lesser Transform Matter (8)+ Lesser Strengthen Matter(3) + Damage, External Impaling 3d+3 (2)+ +Duration, 10 Minutes (1)+ Subject Weight, 3 lbs. (0). 66 energy (22x3).
Quote:
In the context of the ritual I posted above, that makes me think of two options: First, leave the duration, and that's how long the Strengthen effect lasts, after which the blade is treated as a bone blade (per Low Tech, or whichever Companion the material rules are in; I don't care enough to look it up just now), or eliminate the Duration and the Strengthen effect and note that the blade is breakable because it's made of bone. Either one is appropriate for a magical assassin style.
In that instance, Duration only applies to the rest of the spell - not the initial damage.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #409
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
In that instance, Duration only applies to the rest of the spell - not the initial damage.
Right; the transform matter effect that creates the sword and the strengthen matter effect that makes it not break as easily. If the transform effect is lasting (there's nothing about the material properties of bone that would prevent it holding that shape) then the only part that needs a duration is the Strengthen effect. If I cut them both off it cuts 12 energy off the cost and leaves a blade that's suitable for assassination if not dueling. Alternatively, if it's meant for escaping from amidst armed guards, you'll want a stronger weapon ti fight your way free. E.g, approach the target 'unarmed ', then punch a hole in his chest and carve your way out through his erstwhile defenders.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #410
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Right; the transform matter effect that creates the sword and the strengthen matter effect that makes it not break as easily. If the transform effect is lasting (there's nothing about the material properties of bone that would prevent it holding that shape) then the only part that needs a duration is the Strengthen effect. If I cut them both off it cuts 12 energy off the cost and leaves a blade that's suitable for assassination if not dueling. Alternatively, if it's meant for escaping from amidst armed guards, you'll want a stronger weapon ti fight your way free. E.g, approach the target 'unarmed ', then punch a hole in his chest and carve your way out through his erstwhile defenders.
You could ditch Duration if you want and its accompanying effect, personally, I'd just do Lesser Transform Matter (8)+ Lesser Strengthen Matter(3) + Damage, External Impaling 3d+3 (2)+ Duration, 10 Minutes (1)+ Subject Weight, 3 lbs. (0). You're not really doing more damage than a handheld weapon for just about any TL (must max out at around 4d for a muscle-powered weapon). The Strengthen effect makes the weapon as strong as steel - use Bestows a Bonus (Weapon Breakage rolls) to increase that further. Subject Weight and Duration are specifically for the weapon, not the damage. There, 14 energy and you're good to go.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology