Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #111
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Gun Safety Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I was just trying to debunk the mindset that having a gun in the house is a recipe for tragedy, which IME is pretty common.

A gun in the house is dangerous. Statistics don't lie. A gun in my hand is also dangerous... for anyone in front of the barrel. ;)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #112
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A gun in the house is dangerous. Statistics don't lie. A gun in my hand is also dangerous... for anyone in front of the barrel. ;)
Since you can't talk in genchat, PMs if you actually want to talk about it.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #113
Kyle Aaron
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Military personnel have negligent discharges all the time. Learning rules doesn't prevent 100% of accidents.
Perhaps an argument for including the Malfunction optional rule (pB279). Some weapons are inherently more prone to accidents than others, eg Austeyr vs SLR vs 40 year old SLR.

I'd say it's part of the skill. However, whatever the skill if you roll above the Malf level then something inconvenient happens.

Skill or no, remember that firearms are like vehicles - just because you know the rules does not mean you follow the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Excellent. I'll just add that haranguing everybody else about gun safety can easily lead to an Odious Personal Habit.
I heard a rumour once that a certain young gamer who had used firearms since he was literally a toddler (22 tubefed rifle rested on the side of a ute, under supervision of father who was a lifetime hunter and at the time a soldier) was on recruit course, and for a "joke" another recruit put the magazine on his rifle, cocked the weapon, pointed it at the young gamer, and pulled the trigger, click.

The young gamer stepped in, grasped the barrel and body of the weapon pushing it aside, slammed the guy in the guts with it, the guy dropped to his knees and the young gamer followed up with a buttstroke across the chin and a bash on the top of his head, then he removed the magazine and cleared the weapon, removing the bolt and tossing it all on the offender's bed. Later the medics came and took the offender away, and the corporals came and took the young gamer away and put him in the lockup for the night.

In the morning the Course Sergeant Major showed up and asked, "why did you assault that recruit?" and he told him, the CSM went and checked with the offender in the regimental aid post who innocently confirmed the story, and the CSM returned to the lockup and said, "I told him he was lucky, I would have killed him."

Or so the story goes. It's just a rumour. Some would call it an odious personal habit, I'd call it self-defence. Purely hypothetical, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
an Army Captain proceeded to clear his pistol by putting the barrel against his chest SAPI plate and racking the slide!
That's ruperts for you.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #114
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Realistically, guns wouldn't help much either.
Quite the opposite, actually. The only requirement for a very successful insurgency, as anyone with eyes can see, is a few guns in the hands of a few willing insurgents. The same now as it was in 1775..
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, perks