Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
Koningkrush

Default Regular Spells and Specific Targetting

For a regular spell, you can specify a target location such as a certain hex. However, what are the rules skill penalty wise for if you wanted to target a specific spot inside that hex? For example, can you cast Explode on a subject (Some person) and target his head (or even his brain)? Would this just be -7 to skill in addition to other penalties such as range? I'm assuming directly hitting his brain would be another -5 (I think that's what it was) due to not being able to see your target. Of course, this would be devastatingly lethal and possibly OP, but maybe -12 + range penalties justifies it?
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
T.K.

Default Re: Regular Spells and Specific Targetting

You can't cast it on a person.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
Koningkrush

Oh. I was wondering since most of the other spells had "Inanimate subjects only" while explode just said any subject.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Koningkrush

Why exactly can't it be cast on a person? The same goes for a lot of Make and Break spells. For example, couldn't shatter be cast on a bone at -5? Tissue and organs might have problems shattering or exploding because it's mostly water, but bone is mostly just mineral composite.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
T.K.

Because...

"Explode" description starts with "As Shatter, but (...)" which means it functions exactly like Shatter with the differences it then follow to describe after the "but".

Looking at Shatter description, at the end we have "This spell only affects inanimate objects."

I believe I don't need to go on how Magic has many description and mechanics flaws. With the description I cited above and also being a spell from the "Making and Breaking" School it's pretty clear the intent of the spell chain in question, Weaken>Shatter>Explode, to be usable on inanimate objects and NOT on living beings or part of them.

A bone is considered a rigid organ and thus a non-inanimate object in the sense of valid target.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone

Keep in mind Weaken even points toward p. B557, which guess what it is... "HP and DR of Objects and Cover".
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:38 AM   #6
Lord Azagthoth

We always use the Innate Attack () skill to target spells. The roll versus Spell level is used for activating the spell (at least in our campaign).

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Bruno

Spells that can target parts of a thing are usually pretty clear on that.
Melee and Ranged spells give you a choice of hit locations and you roll against your melee attack skill or Innate Attack with the usual hit location penalties.
The various shape-changing spells only change part(s) of your body, and specify which part in the spell description. These kinds of spells are not flexible. If you have Tiger Paws, you don't turn entirely into a tiger. Likewise, learning Shapeshift (Tiger) doesn't let you change just your hands into tiger paws.

There is no Partial Body Of Fire, therefore you can't partly turn into fire. You could research that, but then you'd have to really clearly define what the heck the implications would be. There is no Partial Explode, and Explode doesn't have a to-hit roll against any skill, so affects the thing and the whole of the thing.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Koningkrush

Okay. This makes spell use a bit easier to understand now. I just have this player who will always try to "logic" everything. I just had to build an argument other than "Because I say so." As it goes, it seems like GURPS spells work by focusing on VERY specific concepts, and combining multiple concepts or spell effects increases the complexity seemingly exponentially in terms of difficulty.
However, looking at Evisceration, I think I could allow him to literally explode body parts if he knew both Explode and Evisceration both as prerequisites.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
However, looking at Evisceration, I think I could allow him to literally explode body parts if he knew both Explode and Evisceration both as prerequisites.
That should be at a penalty and become a new spell with Eviscerate and Explode as prerequisites.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That should be at a penalty and become a new spell with Eviscerate and Explode as prerequisites.
Yup. And it would be a pretty awesomely gruesome spell. "I have head-explodie!"
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, magic, penalties, rules clarification